: 2005 STS Check Coolant Level and steam from engine

trackmasterdlb
08-17-12, 10:18 AM
At the start of this week, my DIC started showing the Check Coolant Level indicator everytime i started the car. No overheating or steam/smoke though. Last night it overheated and i put a bottle of coolant in. That was fine to get me home but the DIC light still came on.

This morning i needed to run one errand so i checked coolant level and ended up putting in another bottle. No puddles under car. DIC light still comes on when started but no overheating, but now steam is coming from what looks like the grill and under the wheel wells.

Any idea what the heck is going on? Warranty is up, so any ideas on how much this may cost are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, DLB

ddalder
08-17-12, 11:05 AM
Clearly there is a significant problem. It isn't reasonable to even guess a cost until the problem is identified since it could be anything from a hose/fitting to a radiator and more. If you aren't comfortable performing mechanical repairs, you really need to get this to a shop. I'd be reluctant to drive the car with such an obvious large leak. It would be very unfortunate to cause serious damage by driving it.

Ludacrisvp
08-17-12, 11:23 AM
Agreed. That car certainly falls into the do NOT drive category to me.

dannyquest
08-17-12, 01:36 PM
Have you check the engin oil level, Has water gotten in it, if so the oil looks like grey foamy mess. I wouldn't even start the engin again. Could be a blowed head gasket. I had a crack engin block on a 350 cid chevy that let water into the oil. Lucky for me my truck was under warrenty. Got a new engin out of it. Danny

curtc
08-17-12, 05:56 PM
Had there been many reported HG failures with this generation of Northstar engines?

EChas3
08-17-12, 06:45 PM
I recall 1 HG issue going back to 2004 - statistically irrelevant.

The water pump has been known to be a weakspot. If you garage the car, do you ever notice that sweet coolant smell after a long drive?

What was the level when you first got the trouble light?

orange57
08-18-12, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you shouldn't be driving teh car, especially if you had to add an entire bottle of coolant but cannot find the leak.

Interesting tidbit about the Northstar, it is actually designed to be run in a type of limp mode with no coolant, where it will shut down 4 of the cylinders, alternating which 4 are firing. Pumping air through the others to essentially air cool the engine. Although I hope to never have to try that feature :)

curtc
08-18-12, 03:02 PM
Sounds like you shouldn't be driving teh car, especially if you had to add an entire bottle of coolant but cannot find the leak.

Interesting tidbit about the Northstar, it is actually designed to be run in a type of limp mode with no coolant, where it will shut down 4 of the cylinders, alternating which 4 are firing. Pumping air through the others to essentially air cool the engine. Although I hope to never have to try that feature :)

I don't know when that mode actually kicks in though...Had my radiator side tank blow out on me in my 2001 Seville after replacing the cross over gaskets in January, heat went ice cold in a hurry, temp gauge spiked, and she told me to "SHUT DOWN ENGINE"...Turned into a gravel lot and proceeded to lock my keys in the car when I looked for a street sign to tell AAA where I was :( Glad the STS won't ever let me do that again :)