: Anyone drive these things in the winter/wagon practicality?

Grendel4
08-16-12, 08:55 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new CTS-V wagon with a manual, currently have an '07 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon. The Saab is a relatively practical wagon, it's a well-used daily driver. Drive it quite a bit, just drove it from Seattle to Chicago and back with two kids and a dog. I'm curious if anyone here uses their V's in the winter months? If I go this route I'm definitely going with a set of winter tires, but wondered what kind of experiences people have had using one of these cars as a daily commuter. I live in Seattle and would like to get up into the mountains on occasion, I know these aren't Yukons but was curious to see how these fare in that environment...

M5eater
08-16-12, 09:09 PM
Tires tires tires.

lots of people here drive these car's in the winter.

As long as you're not plowing new marshmellow, you'll be fine like in any other 2WD car.

larry arizona
08-16-12, 09:14 PM
Many on here do well in the winter with the correct tires (winter or A/S a must) and you will do even better with the 6M too, however, a question for you. How does the pacific northwest treat vehicles that are considered global warmers? Just curious if you are going to catch tree hugger hell for driving a V.

Grendel4
08-16-12, 09:24 PM
I'm sure I'll get quite a few horrifically nasty looks from the owners of Outbacks and Prii, but I can take it :cool2:. The carbon footprint of a V might actually be less than that of a Prius, if entering the process of manufacturing the batteries into the overall equation...

Good to hear that the V is tolerable in the winter, we don't get much snow at sea level here but I do venture up into the mountains on occasion. I have Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds on my Saab and it does just as well as the big SUVs, unless there's a really steep hill - in that case I just drive up in reverse.

RapidRob
08-16-12, 10:12 PM
^^^ - No flack for me in 3 years - but alot of approving looks for sure! The V2 seems quite rare in my area, (south of Seattle) - only caught fleeting glimpses of 2 others so far ..

Rob

mpouls1
08-16-12, 11:00 PM
The numerous threads for "what snow tire is good" and "what size tires should I use for winter" should be coming out soon. You won't have any problems. 3 winters now and no complaints.

MacBuster
08-17-12, 01:40 AM
Maybe it's a good idea for a sticky winter thread...can be unstickied during the summer months.

h8-2goslow
08-17-12, 12:14 PM
I have had no problem driving in the winter with the factory tires. But then again, I live in Tampa, FL. LOL