: Not popular with the top 2% of Americans, but.....!

orconn
08-16-12, 05:13 PM
Cadillac may not be high profile in America's priciest neighborhoods, but when it comes to "luxury" car thieves the Cadillac STS comes in number five on the list of "luxury" cars most often stolen per 1000 cars in circulation. Thank God, at least our favorite make made a "Top" list for something!

I hasten to add that the list of most often stolen "luxury" cars included some makes and models that would leave members of this forum scratching their heads. The list includes three current Chrysler models (200,Sebring convertible and 300) that would make us wonder what the thieves know that we car connoisseurs have been missing.

The Audi A8 heads the list as having the highest number per thousand stolen with 8.81 cars. I wonder whether these were really stolen in legitimate thefts, or were just the result of "arranged thefts" put together by frustrated leaser/owners tired of paying high monthly payments while their "luxury" sedans were sitting in the dealer's service department!

The BMW M5 was also a contender for leadership on the list, but one wonders whether their standing was really a result of their desirability among the chop shop set or again just disillusioned buyers who found they really didn't want to put up with the harsh realities of a high performance sports sedan.

Inclusion of the Cadillac STS on this list does mark progress. At least somebody considers a contemporary Cadillac a "luxury" car, and the inclusion on a list of "most" anything is certainly a step in the right direction!

brandondeleo
08-16-12, 05:37 PM
The list includes three current Chrysler models (200,Sebring convertible and 300)
Sebring convertible doesn't exist anymore. Replaced by the 200 convertible. Complete revamp, not just a facelift. Best thing you could do for the 3g is get rid of it, anyway. The 200 is WAY better.

cadillac kevin
08-16-12, 06:38 PM
Sebring convertible doesn't exist anymore. Replaced by the 200 convertible. Complete revamp, not just a facelift. Best thing you could do for the 3g is get rid of it, anyway. The 200 is WAY better.

LOL. The 200 is a crap box on wheels, as was the 3g sebring (oh yeah...they were the same car, at least in sedan form). 2nd g sebring should have been killed too...anything past 1g was fugly. I would rather have a 4100 powered caddy than a sebring/200...at least some of the caddies looked like a luxury car.

Jesda
08-16-12, 07:04 PM
200 is a decent car with an attractive price tag. The 3.6, new interior, and revised steering and suspension made quite a difference.

Unfortunately too much of the rear sheet metal is still shared with the 3G Sebring.

cadillac kevin
08-16-12, 07:10 PM
200 is a decent car with an attractive price tag. The 3.6, new interior, and revised steering and suspension made quite a difference.

Unfortunately too much of the rear sheet metal is still shared with the 3G Sebring.

Thats what I don't like about the car...from the firewall back, its really ugly

The-Dullahan
08-16-12, 07:29 PM
Cadillac may not be high profile in America's priciest neighborhoods

I blame the lack of Fleetwood Broughams on the road today.

The-Dullahan
08-16-12, 07:34 PM
The 200 is WAY better.

...?

I just...

Yeah, I've got nothing, here.

drewsdeville
08-16-12, 09:10 PM
Wait...you mean the Cutlass Supreme has finally, after decades of unrivaled leadership, been dethroned as a top stolen car?!?!

OMGZkNOwAIBrO

brandondeleo
08-16-12, 09:29 PM
My dad had a Cutlass Supreme back in the early 90s. He still whines because he misses it.

cadillac kevin
08-16-12, 09:43 PM
My dad had a Cutlass Supreme back in the early 90s. He still whines because he misses it.

Rwd or fwd (old (83-95?)or newer (90-96?) style body)

brandondeleo
08-16-12, 09:45 PM
Kind of like this one minus the vinyl top

http://www.jalopyjunction.com/sitebuilder/images/Show_Cars_090-800x600.jpg

The-Dullahan
08-16-12, 10:24 PM
I've a brother with a '93 Cutlass Supreme. Funny, funny, little car.

drewsdeville
08-16-12, 11:03 PM
Rwd or fwd (old (83-95?)or newer (90-96?) style body)

Wut?

The RWD's ended in '88, overlapping the w-body FWD that was introduced the same year. 9 years later in '97, the FWD Cutlass Supreme was finished.

The picture above is an '87-'88. The header panel distinguishes it from the similar '81-'86 style.

cadillac kevin
08-16-12, 11:21 PM
Wut?

The RWD's ended in '88, overlapping the w-body FWD that was introduced the same year. 9 years later in '97, the FWD Cutlass Supreme was finished.

The picture above is an '87-'88. The header panel distinguishes it from the similar '81-'86 style.

I was referring to the fwd versions.

vincentm
08-17-12, 02:33 AM
Love the old 80's RWD Cutlass Supremes.. my favorite though is a 74-76

Stingroo
08-17-12, 02:41 AM
That Euro front clip... ugh. How I hate them...

Jesda
08-17-12, 02:42 AM
Escalade is still the most-stolen luxury vehicle in the country. I dont know if its desirability or the ease of theft. Maybe a bit of both.

brandondeleo
08-17-12, 02:54 AM
That Euro front clip... ugh. How I hate them...
I don't remember if it was that front end or not... There's a picture SOMEWHERE. I have to dig it up. It was primer grey if I remember correctly.

Aron9000
08-17-12, 03:38 AM
In terms of style, the Cutlass Supreme was my favorite of the 80's Grand Prix, Regal, Grand National, and Monte Carlo. I really like the models that had the console, floor shift, and full instrumentation. Just yank out that boat anchor 307 v8 for something like an LS1 and you've got a really neat car.

As for most stolen luxury cars, I was always afraid of some hood rat stealing my old 91 Brougham and stripping it. You could start that car with a hammer and screw driver in under 30 seconds if you knew what you were doing.

bigm57ict
08-17-12, 08:49 AM
Of course, what drives the numbers here is not desirability among thieves, but rather, popularity of the car and price of replacement parts. That's why Toyota Camry and Honda have been at the top of the list for a long time (for all cars, not just luxury). There are tons of people out there looking for replacement parts for which Toyota charges a premium.

orconn
08-17-12, 08:12 PM
Escalade is still the most-stolen luxury vehicle in the country. I dont know if its desirability or the ease of theft. Maybe a bit of both.

It is probably due to two factors: 1. overseas demand for stolen luxury and non luxury SUV's and trucks; 2. their owners either are tired of or can't afford the high cost of gas and insurance and "arrange" for them tp be stolen!

I wonder how many are actually recovered? That might tell the story right there!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-18-12, 10:09 AM
In my senior year in high school, I did a report on the most stolen vehicles in America. At that time, it was early '90s Camrys and various '90s era Hondas as well.