: Auto-lock when exiting feature not working

Four Fins
08-16-12, 04:37 PM
I've got an 06 V6 STS and I just programmed a new remote so that I would have two transmitters. Before I did this the car would lock by itself when I would walk away from the car. Now it doesnt work. I have an aftermarket headunit so I'm unable to get to the personal settings menu, is there anything I can do to get this feature back?

dkozloski
08-16-12, 05:52 PM
Put the old head unit back in long enough to cure your problem.

Four Fins
08-16-12, 05:55 PM
I bought the car without the original radio. So unfortunately thats a no go. Sucks....

1BadCadSTS
08-16-12, 05:59 PM
Your sol then. Need that to adjust it also if you buy a used radio it will need to be programmed.

Four Fins
08-17-12, 11:24 AM
Seems kinda weird, looks like it works with the original remote that I got with the car but not with the new one I just programmed. Does anybody know how far away I need to be from the car for it to lock? Does a brand new battery in the remote mean that I have to be even further away?

Ludacrisvp
08-17-12, 12:39 PM
Seems kinda weird, looks like it works with the original remote that I got with the car but not with the new one I just programmed. Does anybody know how far away I need to be from the car for it to lock? Does a brand new battery in the remote mean that I have to be even further away?

It's an 8 second delay auto locking, has nothing to do with distance from the car. This new fob is likely driver 3 and as such cannot have personalization applied to it, only driver 1 and 2 can. It is controlled on a per driver basis.

truckinman
08-18-12, 08:50 PM
It's an 8 second delay auto locking, has nothing to do with distance from the car. This new fob is likely driver 3 and as such cannot have personalization applied to it, only driver 1 and 2 can. It is controlled on a per driver basis.

Or even if it is set as driver 1 or 2, without the factory head unit, it could simply be that if it's driver 1 or 2, that setting isn't set to auto lock. It's just that factory head unit is not a head unit that should have ever been replaced IMO. That head unit controls just about every personalized option on the car. Even the seat settings. Unlike most cars that have the seat memory settings in the drivers door, on yours, it's all in the factory head unit.

EChas3
08-18-12, 09:00 PM
^^^^ The personalizaton isn't stored in the radio; it's just the means to change/save settings.

Unfortunately, even should you go get a junkyard radio, it will require a dealer to clear the theft protection. Most radio replacements involve installing the OEM radio in the trunk. I like the idea of just leaving the connections for the day when config changes are necessary.