: Wannabe Newb looking for advice

mrkool
08-16-12, 10:31 AM
I am looking to purchase a CTS-V and need some advice

1. Does any year since 2009 have any Gotchas? I read the posts about Clicking of the brakes (but if cleaning works this should be an easy fix) also the diff whine i think most of you got that fixed by changing the diff oil and using some anti friction additive. Is there anything else?
2. Are there any changes from 2009 to 2012?
3. what would be a great deal? From a little bit of research i have done i think I can pick up a 2009 V with 16-24k miles for around 40k is this a good price?
4. I am a huge supporter of extended warranty on cars so if the car i buy does not have extended warranty already is there any after market warranty that you guys had good results with?

Also please give me any advice you can i will be selling my Baby (2001 C5 Z06 Supercharged with 550RWHP and 480 Torque i had this since 2002) to get the V and i want to make sure i am not gonna regret it :)

Karch
08-16-12, 11:14 AM
IMO, $40K is a very good price for those miles. Definitely attainable, but still a very good price. You might not find that price at a dealer though.

Good luck. And there are some changes year to year, like rain sensing wipers, back up cameras, etc. There are some threads here already that describe the changes for the years.

Cnair
08-16-12, 01:12 PM
Keep your Z06! I still have my supercharged 2002 Z06, put it up for sale and then changed my mind. I recently picked up a 2012 V sedan. I think the changes included rear camera, rain sensing wipers and blind spot assist (only in the coupe though).

I only have 770 miles on mine but no wheel clicking (dealer replaced front rotors with the new 2 piece rotors), sunroof rattle, diff whine etc (keeping my fingers crossed). You could probably find a good deal on a leftover 12. I got a great lease deal (but I drive about 10K a year or less). The MF on my lease was .0004 which resulted in an interest rate of .96%

You will not regret purchasing the V!

Trapspeed
08-16-12, 02:47 PM
Clearly you, much like me, have a great deal of experience with the LS series engines. My LS1 was rock solid, the LSA is even better. The wheel clicking thing is for the most part "fixed" with new rotors. 2009's have Rainsense wipers which went away after that year. Backup cameras were added in 2011 I think. If you can deal with the added heft of the car because it will be a lot heavier than the Z, I think you'll love it. The little quirks my car has, which are pretty universal, I look at more as charter than a PITA. I am fortunate to own one because it literally was just a dream until it became reality. I love it.

Crystal Red CTS-V
08-16-12, 03:57 PM
My '12 Coupe has Rainsense wipers.

mrkool
08-16-12, 04:12 PM
Wow the more i read here the more disappointed i get

so

the CTS-V2 is slower than the e55 AMG, e63AMG and now the new M5 as well :(
has a super charger rattle that if you fix, properly, voids your warranty
the rotors click even after the 2 piece ones are installed
the diff noise that plagued the original cts-v is still there on the 2009+ models

this is all i have read so far :(

Cnair
08-16-12, 05:07 PM
Probably slower than the new twin turbo E63 AMG and the new F10 M5, but those are the new platforms. I don't think it is slower than the older supercharged E55

larry arizona
08-16-12, 05:47 PM
Go test drive one and see how disappointed you are. Take the complaints on here with a grain of salt.

The V2 is balls out fast, handles awesome, looks incredible and box stock is insanely fast. Then you can mod the shit out of it cheap and easy and put all other cars out there in your review mirror and still pick up 3 hot chicks (instead of 1 in a vette) and have $30K left in your pocket. Just sayn. Throw out the high AND low reviews and its somewhere in between.

WA 2 FST
08-16-12, 06:34 PM
Larry offers some very good perspective. Take a deep breath, go drive one first (I'm sure you agree, never spend this kind of coin without driving the car first), then read some reviews on here. I'm not saying the complaints are not legitimate. I'm sure they are. However, as with everything else (right or wrong), the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I don't post here every day b/c my car runs well, but if it didn't perform well, or if it was giving me grief... I might be more inclined to.

The car is definitely not slower than the old E55 AMG, and it is faster than the C63 AMG and M3... which are the cars target, I believe, both in performance and price-point. If you can afford an E63AMG or new M5, then you should drive those as well. I can't say whether or not they are worth the significant price difference.

What I can say is that you can easily whip those cars with minor performance mods that should not create a huge warranty hassle. Stock I was at 457rwhp, and modded it with 200 miles on the clock... now at 572rwhp. Stock cat-back exhaust, no internal engine mods, no external mods. The car still drives like it did stock when you are not on the "go pedal." I've got ~1400 miles on my car now... had it 2 months, so understand my experience is a small sample size. I had the wheel click... retorqued all the lug nuts to 135lbs/ft (all the wheel-lock lugs were "loose"... less than 70lbs/ft... from the factory) and the wheel click has not come back yet (it may, as I realize retorquing was only one of the potential solutions).

As far as selling your 550rwhp C5... given the TQ is 480rw, I'm guessing yours is centrifugally supercharged. If so, once you mod the CTS-V even a little, it will feel and drive since it has a more broad TQ curve with the positive displacement blower (as in useable, street driven HP) just as fast, and you'll have 4 doors, many more creature comforts, etc. It will outhandle the C5, too, I believe. And my C5 is still a very, very tight car. No squeaks or rattles. It's a well-built car, not a ragged out one. I haven't sold my C5 Z06 yet, but I have considered it recently, and its a 10.8 @ 140mph car (street tires). But the V is just _all that_, and then some. An amazing package of a vehicle.

larry arizona
08-16-12, 08:37 PM
since when is the V2 slower than the Mercs? I would also say that the new M5 is a dead heat with the V2. 0.1 in the qtr mile is test to test variation and 4 secs on the ring is not not blowing the V2 away, plus all OEMS cheat a little on the ring and DA would throw that time off much farther than 4 secs. So they are ALL competitive.

Trapspeed
08-16-12, 08:48 PM
My '12 Coupe has Rainsense wipers.

That's right. They came back didn't they?

smackdownCTSV
08-16-12, 08:54 PM
09's didn't have the NAV standard, they were a ~$2K option. 2010 they became standard. 2011+ has the rear camera.

1997BlackETC
08-16-12, 08:57 PM
If you end up with a 2009 for the $$$ you're talking about, you will not have much if any warrantee left anyhow so just do a blower pulley, tune, intake and you will be faster than just about anything out there including your vette.

mrkool
08-16-12, 11:00 PM
Hey WA2Fast How in the world did you get 100RWHP with nothing major?

WA 2 FST
08-17-12, 09:33 AM
Hey WA2Fast How in the world did you get 100RWHP with nothing major?

Guess it depends on what one feels is "major." For someone like me, who is used to having to add a power-adder, heads/cam, etc to get this kind of power... things like blower pulleys and headers is not major. And those are the power-producing mods to my car, along with a "Cold Air Induction" kit which is a bolt on. I guess that's what I should say... "bolt-on" mods got me an easy 100+rwhp.

larry arizona
08-17-12, 02:24 PM
tune, Cai and upper pulley is nothing major even if you add the added heat exchanger. 100RWHP is cheap on the V. Even the next 100 RWHP is not that much in theory, Cam, lower pulley, injectors, TB port, Snout port. Go try 200RWHP in a Merc or M5.

smackdownCTSV
08-17-12, 04:05 PM
^ That's one of the reasons why I went with the V.

mrkool
08-17-12, 04:56 PM
so just came back after test driving a V. First off i am not sure if i was expecting too much from the "beast" but it didn't feel very fast. the whole car raises from the front when you gun it and the shifting was way slower then the e55. i put the car in sport mode as well didn't feel any difference. The car was pretty loud when i gunned it and even normal driving the inside of the car was noisy. on rough road there were squeaks every. the ride was hard even in touring mode, i was expecting again an e55 riding experience. I was pretty sure i wanted the car now i am having second thoughts. I know i can put another 2k in the car and have the extra 100RWHP but was told by the dealership that it def will void the warranty.

Given this car had 36k miles on it but it was certified so they supposedly brought it back to factory specs. the brakes and tires were good. the system was not idling steady though it would go up and down a little i started the 2012 in the showroom and that did not have that.

smackdownCTSV
08-17-12, 06:32 PM
Something was screwy with it or you're just used to the German brand. Of course going into it biased won't help, even if it was a ZR1, you'd still find fault with it. As for the squeaks, that can happen. I'd have the dealer address those before buying it and I'm sure the salesman would make sure all your concerns are corrected. If not, I'm sure the Mgr wants to make his numbers this month for a sale. Or, you can always just get another Merc.

larry arizona
08-17-12, 08:35 PM
Thats why you test drive. Looks like the Merc or BMer are more your style. Enjoy.

mrkool
08-17-12, 09:56 PM
My buddy has a Merc e55 and i dont want it because of all the issues that come with the Merc. A buddy of mine is getting the new M5, his delivery is at end of this month, i think he got all the options except the stick shift so i will have that to compare with soon but i dont have 100k to spend on a car so even if i like the bmer i am stuck. I don't want the V10 M5 as that is just not my cup of tea. I was really hoping i would fall in love after the test drive with the V :( I am gonna try and find another dealer and take another one for a spin

WA 2 FST
08-17-12, 11:00 PM
I just think comparing a used car with 36k miles on it is not fair. I don't know what year you test drove, but if you drive a '12 and put the trans in Sport Mode, you can tell a HUGE difference b/w that and the regular touring mode. There is no comparison at all. I think some of the earlier models did not have as aggressive of a transmission tune as the newer ones. Since you have a fast C5, a stock V is not going to feel ridiculously fast. You're jaded... and in a good way, but you have to take that into account.

If you need a backseat (selling the C5, so I guess you are looking for a least a little larger car), and you can't afford/don't want an AMG E-class or M5, and you don't think the V is the right car, then you may want to look at the new GT500. It's not as nice inside as the V, not as roomy either, but it is faster and it is also faster than your C5...especially since it has launch-control. It is probably also in the price-range you are willing to consider.

larry arizona
08-18-12, 06:32 AM
Did you considere a 6M V? Totally different animal compared to the 6A.

mrkool
08-18-12, 12:14 PM
i considered the 6M but with todays tech and .06 second shifts on some of these automatics the Manual feels old. Dont get me wrong i love Manual my vette is manual but with super fast downshift and 0.06 upshift the stick is always going to loose

larry arizona
08-18-12, 12:27 PM
ok, well it sounds like you have may have champagne taste on a beer budget. Personally I prefer beer and ALOT of it:bouncy:

pat2t2f
08-18-12, 01:29 PM
I contacted hennessy performance parts regarding the warranty issue. I was advised that any part not modified must be covered by the manufacturer. So, if you upgrade the supercharger is modified it does not void the warranty for the transmission, electrical system, rear end, etc. Will a dealer give you a hard time?? Maybe.

Sea Wolf
08-18-12, 02:09 PM
Don't sell the vette to get a V. You will regret it.

Look to get dedicated money to the V.
Whatever you did to get the Vette, do the same for the V.
Maybe now is not the time; additionally, 2013ish the newer, bigger, badder, Alpha platform for the CTS is set for production, you may want to wait and be in on the cutting edge. This will also give you time to get the dedicated money accumulated.

Personally, I'm waiting for gen 3. I'm looking to see more blending of curves over cut lines. The gen 2 version did this on the rear quarter panels and fender panels. I'm big on rear passenger comfort, so I'm looking for the rear seating to be more spacious in the gen 3, in particular leg room.

larry arizona
08-18-12, 02:54 PM
Gen 3 standard CTS will launch june 2013 as a 2014. Dealers likely wont get them until aug/sept 2013. Now the V3 will be a one year delay so you will wait until Aug 2014 as a 2015 for a V3 and like the ZL1 may bring a dealer premium to be first in line.

thebigjimsho
08-18-12, 05:00 PM
Wow the more i read here the more disappointed i get

so

the CTS-V2 is slower than the e55 AMG, e63AMG and now the new M5 as well :(
has a super charger rattle that if you fix, properly, voids your warranty
the rotors click even after the 2 piece ones are installed
the diff noise that plagued the original cts-v is still there on the 2009+ models

this is all i have read so far :(You're wrong on all counts.

The CTS-V is FASTER than any 55AMG. It may be slower off the line than a 63AMG or M5 but it's a beast once you have grip. And try modding any of those cars. My V would beat them with only a few grand in mods.

Fixing the supercharger rattle(which I don't have) does not void your warranty. A shady dealer might try to say that, but that's bunk.

As for differentials, it is NOTHING like the V1. NOTHING. There have been a few replacements and a few have made noise, but these things have taken the abuse of 556hp with ease. The case won't shatter and there is no wheelhop. To equate the 2 is folly.

The rotors may click. Again, mine haven't over 43k miles. Some have. Some have found the 2 piece rotors fix it, a few haven't.

thebigjimsho
08-18-12, 05:06 PM
since when is the V2 slower than the Mercs? I would also say that the new M5 is a dead heat with the V2. 0.1 in the qtr mile is test to test variation and 4 secs on the ring is not not blowing the V2 away, plus all OEMS cheat a little on the ring and DA would throw that time off much farther than 4 secs. So they are ALL competitive.Tires can make such a huge difference! The fact the new M5 gets to ride on these advanced new Super Sports alone can be well over 4 seconds.

thebigjimsho
08-18-12, 05:09 PM
If you don't want a manual because it's a tick slower than the automatic, then get a Merc. It seems more your style. Cadillac is doing it right offering both. One to satisfy the gearheads, one for the lazy public. haha...

larry arizona
08-18-12, 05:18 PM
Its pretty funny, Anytime I go near a Merc or BMW they are too refined to play on the streets. Then why do you got that power? My uncle has an AMG E55 and he was talking tough about how fast his new Merc was. He has no idea I a got a V. SO my Dad says to him, You should race your nephew and he cockily said with what? I said nothing and my Dad says a V! He said ohhhhh and dropped it. My dad was so proud HA!

mrkool
08-18-12, 05:54 PM
ok all these things i am reading i am reading on this forum :) as i have no prior knowledge about the Vs. So if you sort the general posts by replies the first page lists all the things i mentioned

having said that i think i found a V that i am starting to like the guy is the 3rd owner though and the car has been modded but the mods sound like what i was going to do any way so i am not counting them against the sale. The guy is asking a little over 42k and i really want to stick with the 40k i have in my mind but i think we might be able to come to a middle ground

2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Black / Black
Automatic
Recaro seats
Panoramic roof
Miles: 31,000

Mods:
Kooks Headers
B&B Exhaust
Lingenfelt pulley kit.
Dyno: 562rwhp / 600rwtq

Has all the options and the guys has original parts and will be included in the sale.

Now the bad: The car has really bad rattle from the charger so that will need to be fixed, The car needs a TLC and a good detailing, only 6 months left on the warranty, the front rubber parts under the bumper are pretty worn but the guy has replacement ones that will be included in the sale but if they rub does anything else on the engine side rub at the ground as well? like on corvettes the Radiator support bracket brakes if you scrape, Only the lower pulley was swapped out, this is not too bad but there is a lien on the car. The front brake pads probably will be covered by the dealer due to clicking but i think i will have to shell out to get the rear ones done my self.

JFJr
08-18-12, 05:58 PM
i considered the 6M but with todays tech and .06 second shifts on some of these automatics the Manual feels old. Dont get me wrong i love Manual my vette is manual but with super fast downshift and 0.06 upshift the stick is always going to looseHey, you want to drag race, there are plenty of cars that can do nothing else. You want to spent approx. $70,000 for a luxury car to do that, have at it. This car is not about drag racing; it's about a competent, if not leading, high speed track car; if you're depending on daddy's subsidy, get over it. Even though it's 4 yrs. old technology it's still competitive. What does that tell you?

Jud

mrkool
08-18-12, 06:15 PM
well the e55 my buddy has is a 2004 with almost 100k miles on it. he drives it everyday if it was not for electrical problems i would def had gone with a Merc. You are right though the merc can't handle for shit and from the 10 minute driving idid on the V it was pretty sweet the issue was my passenger was old and he got scared real quick when i gunned it.

larry arizona
08-18-12, 09:06 PM
Be patient and keep your eyes on cars.com or others and wait for a good clean stocker with the color and options you desire. Don't just buy anything........

WA 2 FST
08-18-12, 10:20 PM
Be patient and keep your eyes on cars.com or others and wait for a good clean stocker with the color and options you desire. Don't just buy anything........

I second this thought process. I would not purchase something that has even minor issues... not for the kind of $$ you will pay.

thebigjimsho
08-19-12, 04:43 PM
ok all these things i am reading i am reading on this forum :) as i have no prior knowledge about the Vs. So if you sort the general posts by replies the first page lists all the things i mentioned

having said that i think i found a V that i am starting to like the guy is the 3rd owner though and the car has been modded but the mods sound like what i was going to do any way so i am not counting them against the sale. The guy is asking a little over 42k and i really want to stick with the 40k i have in my mind but i think we might be able to come to a middle ground

2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Black / Black
Automatic
Recaro seats
Panoramic roof
Miles: 31,000

Mods:
Kooks Headers
B&B Exhaust
Lingenfelt pulley kit.
Dyno: 562rwhp / 600rwtq

Has all the options and the guys has original parts and will be included in the sale.

Now the bad: The car has really bad rattle from the charger so that will need to be fixed, The car needs a TLC and a good detailing, only 6 months left on the warranty, the front rubber parts under the bumper are pretty worn but the guy has replacement ones that will be included in the sale but if they rub does anything else on the engine side rub at the ground as well? like on corvettes the Radiator support bracket brakes if you scrape, Only the lower pulley was swapped out, this is not too bad but there is a lien on the car. The front brake pads probably will be covered by the dealer due to clicking but i think i will have to shell out to get the rear ones done my self.Sounds like mine. Except I have the manual. Have the same mods, minus the B&B muffs. Mine has almost 2 years left on the warranty and is clean. I do have more miles, though...