: Using the 'Search this Forum' only shows recent results

lreddiablo
08-15-12, 11:35 PM
I am trying to search and find the answers for a few things without having to ask what has already been answered in this forum but when I do this my search results hardly show anything in this STS forum when I use the "search this forum feature" because it will only find results from the last couple months. If you can correct this it would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks!

malatu
08-16-12, 05:24 AM
Try using a different search engine other than the forum's engine. I use google. I search might lool like this: cadillac forum 2005 sts "timing chain". I'm usually very happy with the number of results I get.

PontiacV8
08-16-12, 05:41 AM
...there seems something inaccurate/faulty with the search...like "Ireddiablo" said...also...e.g...when I search for my own posts, as result not all are shown/listed...

curtc
08-16-12, 07:59 AM
This issue has been going on for some time now, and it's for all forums here, not just the STS one. Pretty much impossible to search for past issues.

Submariner409
08-16-12, 09:34 AM
Common problem......... as malatu posted, you get deeper and more varied quick results by using Google search and something like this: "cadillac forums seville butt plug" or the like - always preceded by "cadillac forums .........".

Just a:Poke:, but stuff like this belongs down in "Site News and ......................."

curtc
08-16-12, 11:55 AM
I used to be able to search years back...thinking maybe the search query range was scaled down by the site admin to limit CPU usage on the server...just a thought.

RippyPartsDept
08-16-12, 12:57 PM
How to Search Quickly and Efficiently (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/217095-how-search-quickly-efficiently.html)

in my posts in that thread i mention my workflow/process ... it boils down to this

when i want to search the forum i perform the following key strokes

1) CTRL+T (open up a new tab in the browser)
2) CF [TAB] (CF is my shortcut for the search plugin i created that adds site:cadillacforums.com to my search, TAB selects it)
3) type my search and press enter

simple and fast
only takes a couple minutes to set up

RippyPartsDept
08-16-12, 01:10 PM
takes even less time than i remember to set up ... just a couple clicks and you're all set

the one main thing to remember if you're a chrome user is to set up your keyword
(it will say something like google.com as default and have the [!] to the right to alert you to change it)

once you have the keyword set up all you need to do is type that keyword into the address bar and hit tab to select it

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8413/cfsearch.jpg

when you hit tab it adds that special 'search' in there

curtc
08-16-12, 03:17 PM
Either way the site's built in search function does not perform like it used to....just curious as to what changed and when?

As it stands we can't yell at all the newbs for not using it before they post new threads :) since it's pretty useless right now.

RippyPartsDept
08-16-12, 03:58 PM
this thread needs to be moved to the feedback forum where the admin will see it and hopefully look into it and fix it

curtc
08-16-12, 07:35 PM
this thread needs to be moved to the feedback forum where the admin will see it and hopefully look into it and fix it

Calling a Moderator! Oh Moderator, where are you?

MacMuse
08-17-12, 09:20 PM
First of all, every page has a separate search command located on the right edge about 4 "lines" down from the top. The white box should say 'Google Custom Search' inside, just click in their and toe your search. It uses Google to search the site.

Second, I see what you mean about the 'search this forum' command and this thread is now heading to the Site News & Feedback Forum. Feel free to follow along.

lreddiablo
08-21-12, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, will try the google thing. Hope I find my answers. But at least people tend to be helpful answering questions on this site anyways should I have trouble finding my answers