Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Trunk opening problem

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
I can no longer open the trunk on my 2008 CTS by using the buttom above the license plate. I can open by pressing the trunk buttom on the fob or on the front door.
Has anyone experenced this problem?

#7 ·
I had the same problem twice. Each time I replaced the battery in the fob and it starts working. Also you can reset things by leaving the ignition in the "on" position for a few minutes without the motor running and it should work again for a short period of time if you don't change the battery. Try that together with a new fob battery. Let us know if you get it to work.

#8 ·
Blg1936, I'm looking forward to hearing whether battery replacement and/or reset will work for you as it seemed to work for other members! Page 2-22 of your owners manual may help to make sure you're attempting the proper procedure: "On vehicles with a Keyless Access System, squeeze the trunk release button located on the rear of the trunk lid above the license plate, as long as you have your transmitter with you. Entry occurs when the button."

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

#9 ·
Blg1936, I'm looking forward to hearing whether battery replacement and/or reset will work for you as it seemed to work for other members! Page 2-22 of your owners manual may help to make sure you're attempting the proper procedure: "On vehicles with a Keyless Access System, squeeze the trunk release button located on the rear of the trunk lid above the license plate, as long as you have your transmitter with you. Entry occurs when the button."

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

#12 · (Edited)
^ blg1936, the issue is almost certainly a defective push pad (aka release button / release switch). The wafer-design switch is easily changed out - it takes only a minute. I witnessed the change out on my '09 CTS (previous car). According to the dealer this component is, or was, a fairly common failure item, particularly on earlier m-y 2nd gen CTS's. Per info at GMPartsDirect.com the switch retails at GM stores for about $22.00.
BTW.. this is an item you can change-out yourself, should your bumper-to-bumper be expired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.