: How can I get my 2009 CTS-V hard drive to recognize music cd titles or names?

jonvontg1
08-15-12, 05:19 PM
All that shows is "no title" whether its a burned cd or brand name cd.
Thanks for your help!

Stillborn
08-15-12, 06:18 PM
weird. =/

larry arizona
08-15-12, 06:40 PM
it depends if the CD/MP3/Artist/record label uses the sortware (I think its called gracenote) that allows the hard drive system to recognize the song names and artist.

jonvontg1
08-15-12, 09:46 PM
it depends if the CD/MP3/Artist/record label uses the sortware (I think its called gracenote) that allows the hard drive system to recognize the song names and artist.
Thanks for the response. I've run the GraceNotes update but still no change. I thought GraceNotes was suppose to read the disc info. I 've got 40-50 "no info" titles in the hard drive...go figure!
Has ANYONE run into this?

tedcmiller
08-15-12, 10:20 PM
My 2009 CTS-V works fine. Sometimes the CD is recognized and the song titles are displayed and other times they (it) are not. I think larry arizona has it right, the key is whether Gracenotes recognizes the disc or not. You evidently have a lot of CDs that are not recognized.

jonvontg1
08-16-12, 12:13 AM
Not recognized...that's why I got the red cts-v...had a Santa Barbara county mountie pull me over to tell me what a nice car i had...

KoNZ
08-16-12, 01:04 AM
Same thing... I have a # of those on my hard drive but I'm sure its due to original source of down load and if that info file is attached

larry arizona
08-16-12, 06:41 AM
its the original source, not the V's system that is at fault. I have heard (not tried) that you can do it manually somehow.

dqw1
08-16-12, 08:52 AM
I get around this by copying music into Itunes and then dragging them over onto a USB stick and plug that into the car. You can then copy those to the HDD or leave them on the USB. It gets you away from CD's and if then titles are recognized by itunes, Gracenotes can recognize it also.

M5eater
08-16-12, 09:38 AM
exactly why in my next vehicle.. I'm going to figure out how opt out of a nav/hdd/infotainment

larry arizona
08-16-12, 09:57 AM
I have to agree that factory navs (All OEM navs) blow compared to any mid level garmin/tomtom etc. Plus they are so overpriced it insane plus the update costs are stupid.

M5eater
08-16-12, 10:05 AM
I have to agree that factory navs (All OEM navs) blow compared to any mid level garmin/tomtom etc. Plus they are so overpriced it insane plus the update costs are stupid.

then again, they *do* have flip-up screens! That's worth $1000 alone!

jonvontg1
08-16-12, 03:28 PM
Thank you everyone for the input! I guess the USB stick is the best way.
Also, put the nav into 3D mode for the best pix. Is similar to a Garmin...

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-16-12, 08:01 PM
Jonvontg1, CD album name, artist name, name of a song, genre name, etc., is indeed all searched content from the Gracenote database of the HDD. (Just in case you haven't already checked, page 3-10 and 3-30 of your Navigation manual has more details about the Gracenote function.) Please drop me an email anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you'd like me to investigate anything further for you!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

tedcmiller
08-16-12, 10:43 PM
jonvontg1 I said your CDs are recognized by Gracenotes, not that your car is not recognized.

jonvontg1
08-25-12, 04:07 PM
Katie, thank you for the response! Will give it a try.

stabie
08-25-12, 05:03 PM
For a detailed explanation of how the system looks up the CD title info, check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB
Note in our case the lookup is not done via the internet, but by referencing the info on our hard drive. You can update this info by getting a gracenote update disk, for like 20 bucks. The title/artist info is not encoded on a "redbook" CD. A redbook CD conforms to the original standard dating back to the late 1970's and is your run of the mill album CD you buy at the store.

Wannago
08-25-12, 06:08 PM
Just download mp3s (oh sorry...."convert" your CDs to mp3), copy to USB thumb drive and then to your HDD. Done

Remlap
10-02-12, 07:57 PM
Jonvontg1, CD album name, artist name, name of a song, genre name, etc., is indeed all searched content from the Gracenote database of the HDD. (Just in case you haven't already checked, page 3-10 and 3-30 of your Navigation manual has more details about the Gracenote function.) Please drop me an email anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you'd like me to investigate anything further for you!

Best,

Katie

Katie, I have a USB drive with files inside of folders on it. The system is reading "USB Format Not Supported". I have deleted everything else on the drive and formatted the drive prior to moving these files over. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong in order to get these files onto the HDD?

Or, better yet, can someone give me a brand name of a flash drive that they have connected and transferred mp3's from onto the HDD?

Thanks!

Uebele
10-02-12, 08:43 PM
This begs the question: How do you update the maps in the car nav system? Is this free during the warranty period????

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-03-12, 08:55 AM
Katie, I have a USB drive with files inside of folders on it. The system is reading "USB Format Not Supported". I have deleted everything else on the drive and formatted the drive prior to moving these files over. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong in order to get these files onto the HDD?

Or, better yet, can someone give me a brand name of a flash drive that they have connected and transferred mp3's from onto the HDD?

Thanks!
Remlap, I apologize for my delayed response but I'm just getting to the office this morning after a long weekend. At your convenience, would you email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the last eight of your VIN and your contact information? This would greatly help me investigate further for you! (I'm checking my accumulated emails next, so if you have already emailed me I will reply shortly!)

Best,

Katie

Remlap
10-03-12, 09:17 AM
Katie I solved it. I was using a USB 3.0 flash drive. In the OM, the only thing supported is a 1.1 or 2.0 flash drive. I found an older drive and was able to transfer the songs.

I'll still shoot you an email with my VIN in case you need it later.

~Chris

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-04-12, 11:47 AM
Katie I solved it. I was using a USB 3.0 flash drive. In the OM, the only thing supported is a 1.1 or 2.0 flash drive. I found an older drive and was able to transfer the songs.

I'll still shoot you an email with my VIN in case you need it later.

~Chris

Chris, thanks so much for your email! If you ever have future concerns, please let me know.

Katie