: New microfiber/faux-suede headliner

McGuffy
08-15-12, 02:13 PM
Not going to mention the shop that did it because I had some major issues with the quality of their work overall, but the finished product looks pretty good (even though it isn't specifically the Alcantara that I asked for...)

Still needs brushed, but you'll get the idea -

larry arizona
08-15-12, 04:38 PM
Does the front or rear glass need to be pulled to remove/replace headliner?

larry arizona
08-15-12, 04:39 PM
BTW looks sweet :bouncy:

McGuffy
08-15-12, 05:31 PM
No glass removal - just the whole headliner and pillars coming out of the car.

Also, apparently the sunroof shade is tricky because it's just a shade, it's not backed or framed by anything. Mine isn't sagging, but the sides can be pulled out of the track if you reach up there and stick your fingers in as the microfiber is a lot softer/more flexible than the old stuff. Not sure why the shop didn't at least put a seam or something to reinforce, but I wasn't leaving my car again so I'll deal with it down the road at some point.

CoppeR
08-15-12, 07:01 PM
Should post the shop, so we know not to use em if u werent happy.

McGuffy
08-15-12, 07:13 PM
Not sure what the forum rules are for that sort of thing (any mods want to chime in?), but if anyone is in the Tampa area, is considering getting some work done, and wants to PM me, I will be happy to share my experience.

futurectsbuyer
08-15-12, 07:41 PM
what was the cost on this. I got a quote from a pretty notable shop in here in dallas around 1500. I bought like 3 sets of rims from them also. 1500 was a bit steep for me. Am I in the ballpark?

larry arizona
08-15-12, 08:17 PM
seen $800 on the other forum

McGuffy
08-16-12, 09:39 AM
I paid $575 but would have paid a more for a properly done job. I've seen prices from $500-$750 for a basic install. $1500 seems steep unless there was some sort of exotic material being used or it was a conversion van or something.

futurectsbuyer
08-16-12, 07:36 PM
haha.. at conversion van. Had they told me 500 I would have did it. It's the high end shop here in dallas. All the pro athletes use them so I'm assuming they typically just get what they want. I asked for suede.. not sure if that mattered. I just wanted the look. Microfiber looks okay with me.

McGuffy
08-16-12, 07:47 PM
And I'd have paid 1500 to have mine done truly proper. I did receive a full refund on the job, so I may look elsewhere and have it done right. Car is barely 2 months old with 1200 miles on it, I should have known better than to start hacking into it already, but man I just really do not like that Yukon nylon headliner they used. Alcantara headliner should be standard with the wheel/shifter wrap.

larry arizona
08-16-12, 09:21 PM
Alcantara is fairly expensive when we use it to wrap steering wheels in the automotive industry. Its more than a leather in bulk form, however due to ZERO flaws (benefit of fake suede) you get better utilization, you would be shocked how much leather is scrapped due to flaws (bug bite, scars and other imperfections). I have seen alcanatara on the open market relatively cheap though.

McGuffy
08-17-12, 08:57 AM
Since I did get a refund, I'm getting a quote from another shop that my sales guy at the dealership said they use for interior work, so I'll let you know what numbers they come back with. Going to try to get over there at lunchtime today.

futurectsbuyer
08-17-12, 10:39 AM
Full refund is cool. How bad can it be now since its free.

QUOTE="McGuffy"]Since I did get a refund, I'm getting a quote from another shop that my sales guy at the dealership said they use for interior work, so I'll let you know what numbers they come back with. Going to try to get over there at lunchtime today.[/QUOTE]

McGuffy
08-17-12, 10:49 AM
That it was free is a start, but I'm going to see about undoing the suede and getting real Alcantara today, so I'll likely end up paying to have it done like it should have been done in the first place, and just eat the scratches to the plastic sunroof trim and overhead console as a lesson learned. Price update coming soon, and new pix when the job is done.

McGuffy
08-17-12, 06:38 PM
Quick update - took the car to MCOR here (they are used exclusively by 22 dealers in the area, including mine, for interior conversions) - I have a lot of confidence in these guys, and I met with their custom interior guy, very informative -

First, he does not like to use real Alcantara for headliners. He says that Alcantara has practically no give, making it nearly impossible to wrap properly around curved pillars (like those in the rear of my coupe). He says they can do them, but they do stitched seams at the bends - said it's popular in pure-luxury sedans and SUV's and where the corners are more square, but not as much in sportier cars where clean lines are preferred. He even pulled out some samples of that and suede and showed me. It was up to me, but I ended up choosing a low pile suede that has a very similar feel to the Alcantara. Price is going to be about $750 and that's because they have to clean the boards from the first job, so I can't imagine seeing prices of $1500 unless the materials are exotic.

For those of you with coupes w/sunroofs, in case you don't know, the sunshade rolls up like a window blind, it doesn't just slide back as is the norm. This limits what can be used. It occured to me to email them back and ask if a piece of Alcantara would make a good shade since it is less prone to flexing/sagging (and I'll get it done to match the Saffron seat inserts if it will work), but otherwise, I'm going to replace the original sunshade and just choose proper functionality over perfectly matched material in this case.

Should be done in the next week or so - pix when it's ready...

M