: How to keep rotors looking new?

burkewm
08-15-12, 01:39 PM
I am getting ready to buy new rotors from brakeperformance.com, and was wondering if anyone has any info on how to keep them looking new down the road. Going to get the black/silver combo rotors. I know I read on a thread before that people had painted them with something but can't find the thread again. I don't want a rusted black centerpiece in a year or so. Thanks.

dannyquest
08-15-12, 06:41 PM
burkewm, I Replaced the pads & rotors 3 years ago. Now have 44k on them. Before I installed them, just mask off the surface where the pad will rub & use a can of spray paint. Danny

burkewm
08-15-12, 06:45 PM
Regular spray paint? Will that hold up to the heat well enough? I seem to remember people saying they used a specific kind but can't find what it is.

dannyquest
08-15-12, 06:53 PM
burkewm, Just went over to Lowe's bought middle of the road paint, not the bottom shelf stuff. The outer edge of my rotors still look good. If your rotors are getting hot enough to burn the paint you have other problems. Danny

Submariner409
08-15-12, 07:50 PM
burkewm, Just went over to Lowe's bought middle of the road paint, not the bottom shelf stuff. The outer edge of my rotors still look good. If your rotors are getting hot enough to burn the paint you have other problems. Danny

Not so. In a perfectly normal autocross or short course road track the brake rotors, particularly the fronts, will glow red in the evening - on just about any car. It's perfectly normal, and the brakes are designed and built for just that sort of use.

Solution ??? Use the rotors from EBC and others that have a black zinc electroplate over the entire rotor: The pads wear off the zinc during break-in. OR, get to work with your favorite color of high temp exhaust header paint.

burkewm
08-15-12, 08:36 PM
Exhaust header paint, that's what I was looking for. Any particular brand?

Submariner409
08-16-12, 10:40 AM
No particular brand and no recommendation - when I'm doing inboard boat engine exhausts I just grab the right color off the shelf at the local Western Auto.

I dusted the pipes and muffler undersides of the CORSA system with black so it wouldn't look like a steel factory under the car, and that's held up for 5 years - black Plasti-Kote HiTemp.

erichthecatt
08-17-12, 11:43 AM
I sprayed mine on my Pontiac GXP, 5 years ago. Hammered paint bought at lowes. Still looks perfect.

madmanmogan
08-17-12, 06:56 PM
Brake performance rotors have the zinc coating also. I have a set of the dimpled and slotted in black and I like them.