: Sedan or Coupe ?

RJR88
08-15-12, 09:06 AM
I am thinking of placing an order for a 2013 and cannot make up my mine on the sedan or the coupe. I do not have kids so the back seat is not a big deal. I like the coupe look from certain angles but other angles not so good. I have seen them side by side and still cannot make up my mind. I am leaning towards to sedan. Just don't want to regret my decision. Has anyone bought one or the other and regretted the decision.

smackdownCTSV
08-15-12, 09:19 AM
Sedan all day long. I almost went with a Coupe before I went with the Sedan and haven't looked back since! I don't have kids either and the only time someone was in the back seat was on the test drive and just a couple days ago. The coupe looks like an ugly ass. Cadillac got too caught up with trying to make it like an arrow and failed. The ZL1 coupe looks better than the V Coupe. Well, the rear at least.

Houdini
08-15-12, 09:20 AM
:yeah: Sedan looks perfect at every angle. Love mine.

j_king
08-15-12, 09:32 AM
Went with a sedan because 1) have a kid on the way and 2) there wasnt a coupe in '09.

Still like the way the coupes look though

smiley47
08-15-12, 10:04 AM
If you're on the fence be sure to test drive the coupe (any CTS coupe) because IMHO the rear view visibilty really sucks. The slanted glass looks good but not much vertical height.

Double e
08-15-12, 10:37 AM
Come time to unload, I think there's good & bad to either but I think the sedan will have a more readily available audience.

How about more practical considerations such as when you do routine stuff like pick up dry cleaning, take folks to lunch, manuvering in traffic, park or have to get something out of the garage that is near it....

Which one continually comes out on top and is likely to create the least hassle, easiest to get in/out of, get damaged by a curb, clean/vaccum or cause the least amount of adjustment from what you're used to?

Insurance considerations?

larry arizona
08-15-12, 10:44 AM
Style/looks are a personal choice but some functional things to consider

The rear seat headroom in the coupe is horrible.

If you are at all interested in a sunroof, the coupe may have the worst roof ever. It will only vent open.

Ste_V_e
08-15-12, 10:50 AM
I've driven both and the coupe just feels better and lighter for some reason. If you don't need the backseat as much, Getting in and out of the coupe is very easy.

RJR88
08-15-12, 11:17 AM
I am leaning towards the sedan. Red with the gray interior. Black is just to hot for inside. Polished wheels, Racaro seats, not sure on the sun roof. I have heard about the creaking sunroofs. I think I have pretty much made up my mine. I still want to go test drive a C63 just to compare. I like the looks of the C63 coupe. I don't know why Caddy did not go with a more conventional looking coupe?

Almondted
08-15-12, 12:08 PM
I test drove the coupe and the rear visibility is worse than my Vette so I went sedan and love it. The back seats aren't the most comfortable anyway so the rear doors help a little! I do like the look of the coupe but sedan won in the end...

B T Williams
08-15-12, 12:16 PM
Here are a couple of points to consider in making your CTS-V model choice.

1. Whether the CTS-V coupe is more stylish than the CTS-V sedan is a matter of personal preference. That said, the sporty car crowd generally prefer coupes over sedans.
2. The sedan is more practical than the coupe. The sedan has smaller front doors and rear doors that make front seat / rear seat entry / exit easier in tight spaces.
3. The sedan has framed door windows while the coupe has frameless door windows. Window sealing / wind issues are less likely with a sedan.
4. With an automatic transmission, curb weights for the coupe and sedan are nearly identical - 4,248 lbs and 4,255 lbs, respectively.
5. If you're considering a sunroof, the coupe has a smaller, lighter sunroof than the sedan. The sedan sunroof adds 70 lbs of weight at the worst possible place on a performance car. Furthermore, a sunroof adversely impacts structural rigidity, more so on a sedan than on a coupe.
6. The coupe has wider rear wheels than the sedan (10" versus 9.5", respectively). However, both the coupe and sedan have the same size front and rear tires.
7. From everthing I've read and personally observed at the track, the straight line and road course performance of the coupe and the sedan is identical.

No matter which model CTS-V you buy, you will not be disappointed in the performance. CTS-V's are truely super cars. My pure stock 2011 sedan (automatic transmission - no sunroof) ran 12.02 @ 118 MPH in the quarter mile under less than ideal track conditions - 88 Degrees and Density Altitude of 1700 Feet.

Go for it!

Bruce

FLTRI
08-15-12, 02:20 PM
Wagon...:devil:

Crystal Red CTS-V
08-15-12, 02:22 PM
Had my heart set on a sedan until I saw the coupe in "person." As others have said though, the rear visibility is a MAJOR difference in the sedan vs. coupe. I just have to be extra aware of this when driving.

cruiser68
08-15-12, 02:31 PM
When I was deciding on my V, I much preferred the coupe to the sedan. Wifey was pushing HARD for the sedan as we have two teenagers. Got the sedan...kids won't ride much in mine as wifey has an Enclave. After driving mine for a year and seeing many coupes, I now prefer the styling of the sedan over the coupe but that is a personal preference.

One other thing to note, the coupe has fold down rear seats and the sedan only has a small hole that fits a few 2x4s :)

Trapspeed
08-15-12, 04:05 PM
If you're leaning away from the coupe even a little...and you are...go sedan. I love it from all angles.

SoCalCTSV
08-15-12, 04:59 PM
I have a Coupe. Get a sedan. Keeps mine rare and desireable.

larry arizona
08-15-12, 05:02 PM
Mine is the most rare of all. A black sedan 6M with recaros and ultraview that is noise free woot woot!

Stillborn
08-15-12, 05:35 PM
the sedan was the first concept on the drawing board,... needless to say they nailed it. the coupe was an afterthought and the HONDA accord-Esq ass end surly shows in translation. if you want a coupe there are other cars to choose from that will make you happier. if anything it would be a toss-up between the sedan and wagon (the rarest of all 3) and the most versatile. if i had to do it again, i would get the sedan...AGAIN. ;)

McGuffy
08-15-12, 05:38 PM
When I first saw the sedan, my interest was piqued. It wasn't until the coupe that I fell in love with the car, but then I've always had a thing for "funky" looking cars. The coupe definitely stands out more than the sedan - whether in a good or bad way is in the eye of the beholder. I LOVE my coupe and have zero regrets. But to each his own.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-15-12, 05:57 PM
RJR88, I hope you're enjoying all the great feedback from sedan and coupe (and wagon!) owners. :) If you'd like me to research any specific questions you have while you continue to mull over the possibilities, please contact me anytime. My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

brent38
08-15-12, 06:05 PM
Go with the COUPE! It is a real head turner. Rear visibility is not an issue and I can fit my daughter and my dog in the back.

Brent

Rule12b
08-15-12, 06:39 PM
Coupe. I have a sedan and have lost my last three challenge races by .4 seconds or less to a damn coupe. Seriously, I bought a sedan because it was to be my only car. Now that it's a second car, I deeply wish I had a coupe.

hulksdaddy
08-16-12, 09:16 AM
The sedan is beautiful, and pictures don't do it justice.

That said, it looks like a Volvo compared to the coupe. The coupe is a head turner, and I've not once stopped for gas when someone doesn't comment on how awesome it is.

SoCalCTSV
08-16-12, 03:07 PM
I forget what I'm driving sometimes and when I see a V coupe on the road, I admire it forgetting I'm in one.

seandalal
08-16-12, 03:11 PM
i just got the coupe.

blksnk
08-16-12, 03:18 PM
You can't make a bad choice on either one, I personally prefer the lines of the sedan better! I do love the exhaust on the coupe. Pictures don't do either car justice, just pick one and mod away...........

carterb
08-16-12, 07:57 PM
Sedan ... better visibility out the back, shorter doors, can fit the aftermarket spare in the trunk well, same performance, etc....

RJR88
08-20-12, 02:30 PM
I stopped by my local yesterday. They did not have any V's there but they had a pile of the standard Coupe's and Sedan's on the lot. I must say the Coupe looks pretty bad ass in person especially in black. I can't imagine what the V Coupe in all black looks like in person. I was leaning towards the Red but the Black is sick!! More decisions

GAGS-V2
08-21-12, 10:38 PM
Coupe, all the way! Sedan drivers just wish they had got the coupe. Hard to see? Really? In two years of driving it, no problems here.

V locity
08-21-12, 10:54 PM
I vote for the Convertible!

RJR88
08-22-12, 06:26 AM
I vote for the Convertible!
If they had a convertible it would already be sitting in my garage. I currently have a 2008 SL550 and I love driving with the top down. My car before the SL was a 2006 Convertible Vette. It is going to be a big difference going to the Coupe or Sedan from the convertible.

V locity
08-22-12, 07:22 AM
Drop top FTW!
http://www.autospies.com/images/users/Agent009/cadillac.cts.convertible.500.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/media/images/fl_cadillac-cts-v-convertible_span/2474552-1-eng-US/fl_cadillac-cts-v-convertible_span.jpg

AlbertoC
08-26-12, 07:48 PM
I absolutely love my coupe regardless of its impracticalities, but i have always admired the sporty lines of coupes. I have 2 teenagers and they hate to take the coupe if they are both coming with me...but they dont get to call the shots :) i just make them. I agree with most of the comments above, but i would make the same decision if i do it again. I love the big size of the sunrooof although you cannot fully open it. The visibility...you get used to it...if you worry too much about the impracticality of it, then dont get it because you will hate it. I got it because the design screamed to me. I get all kinds of wow comments anywhere i take it...people really love it. On the other hand, they might not get it as their daily driver because of the same reasons. Go with your gut feeling. I am emotional about what i drive, so i went with the coupe.

RJR88
08-27-12, 07:41 AM
I know the coupe has a lot smaller trunk. Can you still fit 2 golf bags in the coupe trunk?

1997BlackETC
08-27-12, 12:26 PM
I like the way coupe looks, was just not practical for me because I play wheelchair tennis and need to put the Tennis chair in the back seat of the sedan. I really debated about getting a wagon as that would have been the most practical vehicle of all, would have been able to fit more tennis gear in the back with the seat folded down. Just could not warm up to the looks of the wagon. Anyhow, glad I ended up with the sedan. I really did not want something with the reduced visability of the coupe either as I went through that with a 2007 Mits Eclipse GT I use to drive, no fun. Sometimes you'd pull out and felt like you were taking a gamble that nobody was coming at you.

Crystal Red CTS-V
08-27-12, 12:58 PM
I know the coupe has a lot smaller trunk. Can you still fit 2 golf bags in the coupe trunk?

Absolutely - done that!

RJR88
08-27-12, 01:24 PM
Absolutely - done that!
Thanks, that is important. One of my local dealers has a Raven Black Coupe coming in this week. It has everything besides the Recarro seats. I am not going to track the car so that is not a deal breaker. Can't wait to go test drive it. I hope they do not try to kill me on my trade. I have a 2008 SL550 with 17,500 miles on it. I have been checking the going price on Auto Trader so I am not in for to much of a shock.

Trapspeed
08-27-12, 05:51 PM
As long as it's sporting V badges you cannot go wrong with either!

thebigjimsho
08-29-12, 10:48 AM
Coupe, all the way! Sedan drivers just wish they had got the coupe. Hard to see? Really? In two years of driving it, no problems here.

pfft. If I wish for anything, it would be a Vagon.

AlbertoC
09-01-12, 06:15 PM
Get the Recaro seats. They are nice....the car feels that much sportier