: 06 V6 lifter type noise non DI????

Four Fins
08-14-12, 10:59 PM
I'm hearing a lifter tapping type of noise coming from the passenger side rear of the engine compartment. I hear it with the hood open as well as when you are on the throttle. It goes away once you let off the throttle. Its really annoying but doesnt seem to hurt performance. I read something about an Air Inlet Control Tuning Valve. I'm not sure exactly where its located or if this is the problem, but wanted to get some feedback. BTW, oil is good, so its not that.

curtc
08-14-12, 11:11 PM
In the 3.6 a common issue is the EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve, this will cause a very distinct ticking sounds from the rear passenger side of the engine. Easy fix in the driveway, less than $50 and about 10 minutes of work. Just a thought before we go chasing after lifter noises...

I assume your oil level is where it should be?

Four Fins
08-14-12, 11:41 PM
Oil is good, I'll look into the valve and see what that does.

Four Fins
08-16-12, 05:12 PM
Hey curtc, Do you happen to know the part # so that I know exactly what I need to get? I've been looking at some of the other threads and seeing that people can easily confuse the vent solenoid part with the purge solenoid. I found this ACDelco part on rockauto. Part #2142230
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1298747

Four Fins
08-16-12, 05:13 PM
There's also this one. ACDelco part #2141685
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=947473

curtc
08-16-12, 07:33 PM
Second one, almost positive, hoping someone else chimes in though to verify.

Four Fins
08-16-12, 09:29 PM
Yeah, after doing a little more research it looks like thats the one. The other one says vent solenoid in the description. Thanks for the heads up on this, hope my problems are solved.

curtc
08-16-12, 09:33 PM
Yeah, after doing a little more research it looks like thats the one. The other one says vent solenoid in the description. Thanks for the heads up on this, hope my problems are solved.

No problem, be sure and report back with results.

RippyPartsDept
08-16-12, 10:06 PM
i think there was a special coverage warranty extension for this for certain years/vins

maybe it was just a TSB but i thought there was a special coverage extension

might be worth checking

Four Fins
08-16-12, 10:40 PM
I called my dealer and asked and asked but he told me it would not be covered under any recall or warranty. Oh well, at least its only $18.

curtc
08-16-12, 11:05 PM
I called my dealer and asked and asked but he told me it would not be covered under any recall or warranty. Oh well, at least its only $18.

Exactly, it's worth a shot, and will literally take you like 5 minutes to replace. If it fixes it, great! If not, well, at least you ruled it out and have the piece of mind that your replaced a part that commonly fails.

Goodluck :thumbsup:

Four Fins
08-22-12, 11:03 AM
Ok, so it looks like it fixed the ticking noise at idle but not the acceleration noise. Next step, I'm gonna try some seafoam treatment, since I wanted to do that anyway, and see if I hear a difference. Maybe even try some higher octane, since I'm using 87 now.

Daves_05_STS
10-02-12, 07:31 PM
Did you ever Seafoam?
I had a similar noise a while back that a bottle of MMO seems to have taken care of.
Will Seafoam harm/overheat the Cats in these cars? Where is the vacuum line located?[newbie]

Four Fins
10-02-12, 11:24 PM
Havent done the seafoam yet but plan to soon. From what I read on here it does no harm. Havent looked into where the vacuum line is but I can only assume it comes out of the brake booster somewhere.