: First Oil Change Mileage?

1997BlackETC
08-14-12, 02:20 PM
Got the V around 2 months ago new 2012. I have 2500 miles on it already and the oil percentage is still around 70 percent. By my calculations it's gonna be around 10,000 miles before it says I need the first oil change which is paid for by GM, I don't think they will pay under the maintenance program to have it done sooner. I just got a $20.00 coupon from Firestone for a Oil change. Think it would be worth it to do it sooner or am I just wasting my money? I use to own a chain of quick lubes and even I don't know the answer to this one at this point with new technology and better oils and all. We use to recommend every 3K miles. Also what is the oil capacity on these 2012 CTS V's? And would it be alright to run the Kendall Synthetic blend of oil they use for that $20.00 oil change or should I upgrade it to the full Synthetic.

Xaqtly
08-14-12, 02:26 PM
Has the oil been changed at all since it was new? If not, then change the oil ASAP. It's probably full of metal particles from the piston rings breaking in to the cylinders. My rule of thumb in a brand new car is an oil change at 500 miles, another one at 1000, another at 3000 and then whatever the manufacturer recommends.

WA 2 FST
08-14-12, 04:26 PM
Has the oil been changed at all since it was new? If not, then change the oil ASAP. It's probably full of metal particles from the piston rings breaking in to the cylinders. My rule of thumb in a brand new car is an oil change at 500 miles, another one at 1000, another at 3000 and then whatever the manufacturer recommends.

Agree... I have followed this type of schedule with all the vehicles I've bought new.

supratovcoupe
08-14-12, 04:47 PM
I changed mine myself @ 1K....Mark B.

tim@sdpc
08-14-12, 07:18 PM
The rumor is and it is just a rumor. GM is reevaluating the engine oil life monitor system. The GM
Dealership should take care of the oil change for you. There is nothing wrong with changing the oil at
3,000 miles. GM will want to know if you used Dexos1 if anything ever came up. The GM part number for
the oil is 19293000. The oil is a 5W-30 synthetic blend.

larry arizona
08-14-12, 07:39 PM
Seriously gentlemen, when was the last time you saw or heard of an oil related engine failure? I am not talking about an engine failure due to mods, or running low/out of oil??? I am all about using synthetics and high end filters, but there realistically is a low % of oil related engine failures anymore. I have a 2002 Sierra 5.3L with 192K miles run on amsoil 0W30 since new with 30K miles between oil changes and still burns ZERO oil/blowby. I add about 1/2 qt per 15K miles and run plenty of highway. Had a 1988 bonneville with 250Kmiles on a 3.8L with 25K mile oil changes with amsoil 5W30. Only thing that killed it was a wreck with a deer. I will admit that I will change the V's oil more than every 30K miles but I put very few miles on per year (less than 6K miles from March til November) so it will be changed once a year OLM or not. My point is don't overth

larry arizona
08-14-12, 07:39 PM
overthink it.

Crystal Red CTS-V
08-14-12, 07:43 PM
Changed mine after 1000 miles with Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic.

smiley47
08-14-12, 07:47 PM
My dealer changed mine out at 2000 miles under the maintenance plan. No charge.

1997BlackETC
08-14-12, 10:56 PM
Ya, I might have been able to get it done under the maintence plan, I dunno. But the dealer is kinda a drive from where I live and the local Firestone dealer changed it today for me with 2500 miles on the car. I wanted them to check the differential oil, it looked real simple, just a torx plug on the bottom of the diff and a torx plug half way up which must be the sight plug, but they refused to do it do to liability. I wanted the dealer who sold me the car to check it also as I had them put the car up on the lift, but they talked me out of doing it saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It's crazy because it looks like such a simple thing to check it. That plug half way up on the right side of the diff is the sight plug right? I'll probably lay on my back in the driveway and pull it tomorrow and check it, no biggie. The car does make a slight whine when on the gas at 75 to 82 mph, not sure if it's the supercharger or the rear end, hard to tell. Can't hurt to check the oil level though, these day's you gotta do everything yourself. Looks like the engine oil capacity must be 7 quarts, that what Firestone put in and said it was full. It surprised me because my Pontiac G8GT with the 6.0 motor took 8.9 quarts, I though the CTS-V would take more.

baabootoo
08-14-12, 11:56 PM
You said synthetic blend earlier. We DO need full synthetic though. Secondly I'll follow the oil life monitor since I can't disprove their research yet. It's about every 10K or so, and I have no worries since they're backing the warranty.

1997BlackETC
08-15-12, 12:30 AM
Looks like I'll have to take it back to firestone tomorrow, the dumbo put 7 quarts in the car. Why do people always insist on overfilling cars, I use to own quick lubes and more oil got wasted by this sort of thing. It took the guy around 45 minutes just to do the oil change, heck it's just a drain plug with a filter beside it. Society has really degraded to the point where I dunno how this country is going to survive. The problems is not lack of jobs, it's lack of workers who are competent to do more than just push a remote button for the tv and eat potato chips.

So anybody know if that torx plug half way up the diff is the sight plug? It sure looks like it. Just don't want to pull it and find out it was higher up and learn I pulled the wrong plug.

FLTRI
08-15-12, 02:27 PM
Seriously gentlemen, when was the last time you saw or heard of an oil related engine failure? I am not talking about an engine failure due to mods, or running low/out of oil??? I am all about using synthetics and high end filters, but there realistically is a low % of oil related engine failures anymore. I have a 2002 Sierra 5.3L with 192K miles run on amsoil 0W30 since new with 30K miles between oil changes and still burns ZERO oil/blowby. I add about 1/2 qt per 15K miles and run plenty of highway. Had a 1988 bonneville with 250Kmiles on a 3.8L with 25K mile oil changes with amsoil 5W30. Only thing that killed it was a wreck with a deer. I will admit that I will change the V's oil more than every 30K miles but I put very few miles on per year (less than 6K miles from March til November) so it will be changed once a year OLM or not. My point is don't overth

I tend to agree.

I think we get way too worked up over doing oil changes. If you think it's is bad here, start an oil thread on a Harley Davidson site. It'll go on for pages & pages, and folks get pissed...

I waited until I was at 18% and had the dealer do it at 7700 miles. I wish I had the money to take a new car and never change the oil. Just keep it topped off, and see how many miles I could put on it until failure. I'm betting it would be well over 50K...

1997BlackETC
08-15-12, 02:29 PM
I mostly blame GM for this overfill situation. There are 3 marks on the stick. The lube techs always will fill up to highest mark and disregard everything else. The third hole indicates overfill and mine is a little bit over that as the tech said he put in 7 quarts. GM should just forget about those god damm overfill marks on the stick and just have 2 holes, ford use to do that and it caused more confusion than anything else. Just put one for add a quart and one for full. It all is just so very stupid. Now I gotta go down to Napa this afternoon and get a suction pump and snake it down the dipstick tube and remove the extra quart, pain the butt. One reason I got rid of my quick lubes I had was I got so damm tired of the techs always trying to overfill cars. What a waste of oil and it beats the hell out of peoples motors. I pinned capacity charts all over the work benches in the garages, it was useless, people refused to read them and would just pump away thinking they knew it all.

Nobody ever did anwer if the sight plug on the diff is that one on the right side as you are facing from the rear of the car halfway up? I'm pretty sure that is it. These cars do seem pretty easy to work on, that is one good thing. I think from now on I may just end up doing all my own work. It just ain't worth the frusteration having somebody else who does not know what they are doing do the work and risk screwing up the car. I hope driving it home a quart over last night is not going to damage anything. I'm not even going to start the car today until I remove that extra quart.

FLTRI
08-15-12, 02:40 PM
Per the owners manual, as long as your oil level is in the crosshatched area, it's the normal operating range...

larry arizona
08-15-12, 03:18 PM
1997, I blame the tech that changed your oil for not reading the owners manual for capacity.

FLTRI: You will never change the masses idea of the more you change the oil the better (WRONG) and the oil change business that invented the 3000 mile oil change. There was never a owners manual that required a 3000 mile oil change unless it was SEVERE duty 20 years ago. The oil thread is teh achilese heel of the forum world. I chose to educate myself from people who know oils/filtration and spent time and $$ to get oil analysis done for a couple years to understand the data related to an oil change. I agree its not bad on this forum but brutal on others. Not a big deal.

1997BlackETC
08-15-12, 03:48 PM
I will admit I do tend to get way too worked up over this sort of thing, it's just that I've been through it so many times in years past with customers coming back yelling at me behind the counter about their cars being overfilled and knowing I was the idiot paying for the oil and being out of my control with what the techs were doing, I could not watch every move they made and I'd talk about the issue till my face turned blue. A lot of the reasons cars would get overfilled is they would check the stick and then continue pumping oil in because it read low not realizing it takes a while for the oil to drain into the pan, kept telling them don't do it this way, did not work, I dunno how many guys I fired over this.

larry arizona
08-15-12, 05:06 PM
I am sorry to say this but I am going to go out on a limb and say that an quick oil change tech might not be the sharpest tools in the shed......:hmm:

1997BlackETC
08-15-12, 08:17 PM
Ya, I got really/really tired of dealing with it when I was in business and this whole experience was a repeat of that. Now I kick myself for not reading up on the dipstick and capacity before going in for the oil change. I took his word for it that it was 7 quarts, my G8GT pontiac I just rid of took 8.9 quarts with the 6.0 LS motor so I though even myself 7 quarts what he told me did not sound out of line, I'm kinda shocked it's only 6 quarts actually.

larry arizona
08-15-12, 08:27 PM
drain it and you will be fine. No damage done

C66 Racing
08-18-12, 09:20 AM
FYI, on the C5 Z06 Corvette, GM recommended overfilling by one quart for the track to help prevent oil starvation caused by the oil pump pickup from getting uncovered in high G turns. Been doing that since 01 in my LS6 engine'd car. On the LS6, I've read that it is about 2.5 qts overfill before the oil reaches the bottom of the crank and thus would start to get aerated by the crank swipping through the oil. I don't know how much you can overfill the LSA, but suspect it is well over one quart, thus I personally wouldn't lose too much sleep over a one quart overfill.

My personal opinion on the oil change interval, is that I generally change my oil initially early, but then follow the Oil Life Monitor in GM cars. I've done many used oil samples over the years and have found the oil life monitor to accurately predict oil life. :cheers:

SoCalCTSV
08-18-12, 02:49 PM
Can we use this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Mag-62891-12PK-Dexos1-5W-30-Motor/dp/B0077K8TYU

Free shipping with Amazon Prime.