: Changing Brake fluid

DrMongo
08-14-12, 11:27 AM
Guys,
I have never had a vehicle where I found it necessary to routinely purge the brake system. Now that I will be tracking this car I realize the need for better fluid maintenance. I plan to change out the existing fluid for Motul or a similar product. So the questions are: 1) recommendations for bleeding tools to expedite the process 2) Is there a recommended sequence for bleeding? I would presume to do RR, LR, RF, LF?
Thanks

BWhite58
08-14-12, 01:08 PM
Sometime a scan tool is needed to bleed the brakes ( Open all valves in the brake system )

Trapspeed
08-14-12, 09:04 PM
Guys,
I have never had a vehicle where I found it necessary to routinely purge the brake system. Now that I will be tracking this car I realize the need for better fluid maintenance. I plan to change out the existing fluid for Motul or a similar product. So the questions are: 1) recommendations for bleeding tools to expedite the process 2) Is there a recommended sequence for bleeding? I would presume to do RR, LR, RF, LF?
Thanks

Your sequence is correct.

baabootoo
08-14-12, 11:51 PM
Get that adapter that connects to the fluid reservoir, use air pressure and it's a snap. Just keep it from going empty, and do each wheel until you clearly see the blue fluid.

thebigjimsho
08-15-12, 10:22 AM
Your sequence is correct.

Actually, for our systems, I believe it recommended to be RR, LF, LR, RF...

thebigjimsho
08-15-12, 10:26 AM
And I use an extractor from Griot's Garage. Hook it up to an air compressor and suck it right out the bleeder. Make sure you keep the reservoir primed with new fluid and go from wheel to wheel until the old fluid is gone...

cruiser68
08-15-12, 01:25 PM
Actually, for our systems, I believe it recommended to be RR, LF, LR, RF...

I always thought it was farthest from reservoir to nearest which would be RR, LR, RF, LF

thebigjimsho
08-15-12, 01:37 PM
I always thought it was farthest from reservoir to nearest which would be RR, LR, RF, LF

This was discussed before in both V1 and V2 forums long ago. I'm on the mobile site so I can't look it up right now, but here is the link to cadillacfaq.com

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bpadchange/index.html

I don't remember why our process is different but many, many of us have tracked our Vs with this procedure and have had no issues. Funny enough, the Stoptech link in the instructions mention the order you talk about.

cruiser68
08-15-12, 01:41 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about the 8 bleeders :) Fortunately, I have a set of speed bleeders on the way to replace the rusting bleeders.

Trapspeed
08-15-12, 04:07 PM
Man, even brake bleeding is getting too technical these days! I was going off my old high school shop days but I suppose even that changes. Man, let me go back to sleep. :P

E-luzion
08-19-12, 10:26 PM
Hey guys, i changed my rotors and pads less than 10k miles ago and i am already having brake issues, which is leading me to think i need to change my brake fluid. Is there a drain valve or just open up a bleeder all the way and drain?

cruiser68
08-20-12, 12:54 PM
I would not recommend draining as that will let air in the system and you will never get your brakes bled without a visit to the dealer.

Just use the bleeding procedure above. You can usually see the color change when you get fresh fluid to the caliper. And don't let the reservoir run out either or you will pull air into the system. I do this at least once a year and/or before a track event.

Old brake fluid will result in spongy or soft pedal.

MikeJCx9
07-29-13, 01:04 PM
What brake fluid is used from factory? Any specific name or type to use if/when bleeding brakes?

jzchen
07-30-13, 09:37 AM
What brake fluid is used from factory? Any specific name or type to use if/when bleeding brakes?

Actually, you might want to look in the manual. I didn't finish it, but got through a lot. It is actually filled with DOT 3, (from the manual for a '10. I don't know if they changed that for '11 on.) If you needed better fluid the manual recommends changing to a DOT 4....