Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering wheel rubbing sound:

31K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Embassy_ 
#1 ·
A very noticeable rubbing squeak, sounds exactly like a wet thumb rubbing against glass or rubber , on every turn.
At 3/6/12 I complained about hissing in the steering wheel when I drive in a quiet parking garage but the dealer said hissing sound is normal in the CTS. Few months later the hissing turned louder and started to sound more like rubbing and very noticeable.
On September 31st I took my CTS to the dealer again and they try to repair it according to bulletin #PIC4604 but didn’t fix the problem.
On August 8th I took the car back and they removed the steering wheel lower panel out for more inspection; the intermediate shaft has been replaced and lubricated at bearing (according to a Doc. ID# 2009199 at steering intermediate upper shaft seal making noises) and that didn’t fix the problem either.
According to the latest work order shows that my dealer called T.A.C (Technical Assistance Center) for advice and replaced an order for a steering column. On Friday August 10 I had my car back; now I’m expecting a call from my dealer when the part will arrive.
From reading this website I found out that all the rubbing sounds on CTS were treated with replacing the steering rack not steering column.
Has anyone else had the steering column replaced because of a rubbing sound and the problem was fixed?.
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I had it done on my 08 CTS for a rubbing sound when cornering slowly. Have since traded car in. Replaced Rack and Pinion. Had to take it back due to a groaning like sound when pulling forward under low speeds. Fixed - caused by manner in which power steering components re-installed with rack work. No further issues.

#4 ·
The sound I was hearing *really* sounded like it was from inside the car (i.e. steering column/steering wheel rubbing, etc.) when turning at very low speeds. Mine was very intermittent. I just happened to luck out and have it make the noise when I had the service manager in the car with me to address a different issue.

The mechanic was convinced it was the steering rack, so I let them replace it under warranty. The noise definitely went away and hasn't come back after about 10,000 miles. There must have been a TSB or something that led them to believe this was the problem -- they were very certain that was the cause of the problem.

I mentioned previously that, since the steering rack replacement, I've noticed that turning the wheel when moving very slowly results in more of a skipping/grating feel. I'm hoping that's due to my original tires wearing out and getting close to needing replacement and that it's not a sign of more serious trouble brewing.

#5 ·
Besides the rubbing noise I had a steering wheel shudder/vibration when I turn the steering wheel very slowly, I think that what you mentioned "skipping/grating feel".
According to the dealer work sheet:
”The cause was: Suspension & alignment. The part: flushed the power steering completely and bleed the system: which fixed problem at this time. Test drove car ok now””
But the rubbing sound is still there and sounded like it is from inside.
I’m still under bumper to bumper warranty until the 21st of this month

#6 ·
I took my CTS twice for service to fix the steering wheel rubbing sound at July 31 and August 8 with a total of 5 days at the dealer shop. Now I’m having my car back waiting for parts since last Friday and according to my service advisor it’s going to take at least till 8/21, because Cadillac doesn’t have the parts in the warehouse, which by then my bumper to bumper warranty will be over by one day. I bought my CTS 8/21/08.
I'm skeptical and looking forward for advice.
Thanks.

#7 ·
I'm glad there's a thread on this. I had the rubbing sound and the dealer said it was the rack. I had already had the intermediate shaft replaced. After the rack was replaced, I started getting a shudder in turns as if the tire on one side was skipping. I took it in once and they said it was normal. It doesn't seem normal and this week in a hard uturn the rack groaned and I could feel a vibration in the steering wheel. I guess I'm not alone.

#8 ·
Elo_mcfeelo, have you contacted our Customer Assistance Center at any point during your frustrations? If you haven't, I can set up an official service request (case) for you that would associate your contact information with your specific concern. This case would enable me to communicate with your dealer to follow-up on your behalf and work with you all towards a resolution! Please contact me via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you'd like me to explore this option with you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

#10 ·
Thank you Katie for your response, I’m feeling much better that you’re offering me help during my frustrations. My concern is my warranty will be over when the steering wheel parts will arrive to fix the problem, but I’ll wait for another week and give my dealer a chance to finish the job he started before the end of the warranty, and hope that the parts will arrive and the rubbing squeak will be fixed; otherwise I’ll email you and request to open a case.
Thanks again

#9 ·
exm22psu, your shudder sounds alot like mine. Making a slow speed, fairly sharp turn like in a parking lot or neighborhood and it does it(or did it). Almost feels like a tire is flat for a moment. I got told twice by the dealer it was "normal for AWD" then when I continued to insist it's not, they started replacing parts. Steering gear, front control arms, and rebuilt the rear diff with new clutch packs. Problem still existed. There was a low "wot wot wot" type noise that would accompany the shudder. I never had the rubbing sound that others have described. Good luck on getting it fixed! After 5 service visits, I finally fixed it by trading the car.

In an attempt to prove my shudder was not normal, I found my car's twin(same year, color, wheel size, AWD, and nearly identical mileage) at our Land Rover dealer so I drove my old car over there and acted like a customer and asked for a test drive. Low and behold, the salesman let me and my girlfriend take it without him. I quickly took it to a nearby parking lot and neighborhood to do some tight, slow speed turns(same place I had taken the service manager when he rode along with me in mine) and see how this one behaved. Guess what, no shudder but it did make some type of a rubbing noise that sounded like it came from the steering column. The seats also squeaked, although maybe not as bad as mine. Surprisingly, the sunrood shade on it was silent. Now, here is the kicker! When I was talking with the salesman about the car, he informed me he had sold Cadillacs at what used to be our locally owned Cadillac dealer for nearly 20 years, literally up until the day they closed in 2010. He went on to tell me how much warranty the CTS had left at that the Chevrolet dealer could do any repairs needed in or out of warranty. Trying to act like a customer with no knowledge of the CTS, I asked him why not a Cadillac dealer. He grinned for a moment and said he went to work at that Cadillac dealer after the original one closed and left shortly after. He went on to say "I trust the Chevy dealer if you know what I mean". This told me all I need to know about and confirmed what I had been experiencing at the Cadillac dealer. Too bad they are the only one in town.

#13 ·
Seems like a lot of folks like me have had this rack and pinion issue on their 08s with over 30K miles indicating a possible systemic problem. For my case, replacing something as vital a component as the rack and pinion draws concern over the effects on the overall handling - something which is at the core of the CTS and one of its major engineering features.

#16 ·
I had the rack and pinion changed about a month ago as well as the front right bearing. Two weeks back, they changed the front right shock assembly, including the front right upper control arms because of a creaking noise. After a good four-wheel alignment, the car now drives better than new!! So far, I'm very happy of how it turned out - especially that I was also worried about such major parts replacement.
:thumbsup: to my dealer!

#17 ·
I took my 08 CTS back to the dealer today for the steering wheel problem, it looks to me that the steering wheel vibration/shudder is associated with the rubbing sound, even though the mechanic said before that they're two different issues. I called my dealer yesterday and I was told that the steering wheel parts they were in back-order for over a week and a half ago have just arrived; my service advisor left me a message then to let me know that he has a steering column in order, but when I was talking to him later he said it could be the steering gear or he might have to replace the rack and pinion.
My car has only 20,767 miles as of today, such a disappointment to have a major steering wheel problem with a very low mileage. Now I'm back to square one crossing my fingers hoping "Third Time's a Charm"
I'll keep you updated of the outcome.

#18 ·
I ended up having to call Cadillac Customer Assistance to open a case. The dealer was unable to resolve the issue with the shudder/binding when turning on AWD models. Evidently, this is a known issue. I can't understand, however, how it is related to the replacement of my steering rack. Before it was replaced, there was a rubbing sound. After it was replaced, the rubbing sound was gone but the shuddering/binding issue surfaced. I do hope Cadillac Customer Assistance can do something. My car has been to the shop so many times since I bought it in 09, I lost count. I want to say it's had over 80 problems since it was new, from defective seat frames and defective coils to static on bluetooth, squeaking screen and leaking boot on the axle. The list goes on and on and on ...

#19 ·
My 08 CTS still in the shop since Wednesday on the top of the 5 days already been in service during August for the same steering wheel rubbing sound. I too had many problems with my car, some were just recalls but the vast majority were problems shouldn't been there.
Today I got a phone call from my service advisor telling me that they already changed the rack and pinion besides the many other parts were changed but the rubbing sound is still there, now they ordered a different part, will come on Monday, and they'll also try to adjust the steering wheel position.
According to my service advisor they're now in direct communication with Cadillac Technical Support trying to find a solution for my steering wheel.

#20 ·
I got my car yesterday from the dealer, it was in the shop from 8/22 to 8/28. The rubbing sound has gone and no vibration/shudder in the steering wheel, many parts were replaced including steering column, gear, rack and pinion and re-alignment of the steering wheel.
Thanks for the support.

#21 ·
Less than a month later and after numerous visits to the shop and replacing every possible component in the steering wheel (under Cadillac technical support guidance according to my service advisor) now the vibration/shudder in the steering wheel is back whenever I turn the wheel in very low speed or in stand-still to park the car.
I'm taking my 08 CTS again to the shop this Tuesday morning.
My B2B warranty is over, I assume they have to fix whatever they left during the warranty period.
I believe CTS has serious problem with the steering wheel and many threads besides mine were recorded in this and other forums revealing the same frustration.

#22 ·
elo,
I just came across a TSB from GM/Cadillac regarding the steering binding:

Bulletin No: PIC-4986-C

Date of Bulletin: 02/07/2012
Summary Description:

CADILLAC: VEHICLE MAY EXPERIENCE A BINDING OR EXCESSIVE TIGHTNESS CONDITION SIMILAR TO BEING IN 4WD WHEN STEERING WHEEL IS IN FULL LOCK POSITION EITHER DRIVING FORWARD OR REVERSE. *PE

Just thought this could help!

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks like2drive for the TSB .
Last Tuesday, 10/2/12 I took my CTS to the dealer and I demonstrated to my service advisor and the mechanic the steering wheel shudder, it's excessive, more like "jerking" steering wheel with a knocking sound on low speed or stand still turns when transmission is on drive or reverse especially on a smooth pavement like a multi levels parking garage, on my own home garage or the dealer's driveway (it doesn't do it on neutral or park). My dealer contacted GM technical support then they ordered another rack and pinion steering was due for same day delivery. The next day the car was ready, and I was told that they replaced the steering gear instead, and my service advisor gave me a copy of a Bulletin No: PIC5511 Steering Shudder Feeling During Slow Steering Input At Idle - (July 26, 2011). I signed the work invoice and I had my car back, I took it for a test drive and the excessive "jerking" in the steering wheel on slow turns was still there; I went back to my service advisor and I had him ride with me then the service manager talked to me and contacted GM technical support again, and I was told that GM will send a Steering Wheel Technician to work on my CTS.
My CTS' still in the shop since then.
Last Tuesday & Wednesday I had a loaner 2012 CTS with NO SHUDDER, then on Wednesday evening they gave me another loaner 2013 CTS, which I still have, and I felt the steering wheel shudder that I can live with, but mine is excessive.

#27 ·
I finally had my car back from the dealer on Friday 10/12/12, after checking and replacing numerous parts again including steering gear, changing the steering fluid, wheel alignment, removed and replaced a new power steering pump...etc. The job was monitored and approved by GM technical support. The shudder is still there (which more like jerking and knocking) when I turn the steering wheel on smooth surface and the car on stand still or low speed and the transmission on Drive or Reverse only, the shutter doesn't happen on Neutral or Park.
GM Field Engineer went to my dealer and test drove my car for 24 miles and gave it every possible test especially on low speed, stand still, turns on smooth pavement on Drive and Reverse. Here's the final conclusion, according to the Repair Order Invoice:
"10/11/12 Field Service Engineer examine vehicle, compared to numerous vehicle of same year, all vehicle have the same shudder in steering, symptom is to be considered a normal characteristic of the vehicle. No additional repairs are required."
Ironically, I never felt any shudder or heard a steering wheel rubbing sound when the car was new. If shudder is "normal characteristic of the vehicle" and numerous vehicle have the same shudder problem in steering, I think GM has problem with the design and they should've had a solution for it by now. My 08 CTS has only 21,230 miles and I started noticing the steering wheel abnormality at around 18,500 miles, since then every steering wheel part has been checked, verified and replaced under GM technical support supervision, I took my CTS to the dealer for steering wheel problem 7 times, and it stayed in the shop from 2 to 10 days each visit.

#28 ·
...elo_mcfeelo>>>have you tried disabling your traction control and stabiltrak to see if that has an effect on the shudder? guess my CTS4 is 'abnormal' because it doesn't shudder but then I drive with the nannies off most of the time....you might also, when you turn and it shudders, try stopping and going to reverse for about 10ft. and then forward again>>this might free a binding limited slip or clutches in the transfer case of the AWD system..just a couple thoughts...good luck

----------

Hey elo..scratch my comment on the AWD...my old eyes read AWD for your RWD....sorry 'bout that

#29 ·
I thought I would revise this thread. On my 2010 I had a new steering column installed to correct a tilt steering issue in the spring of this year. Now I seem to be developing a rubbing noise in the column that sounds like a metal shaft rubbing against a rubber bushing or bearing. Seems to be more pronounced when the outside temperature is warm/hot and noticable when the vehicle is warmed up and while I'm driving through the parking garage. It doesnt do it when I leave for lunch only when I come back and the engine compartment is hot and I am doing low speed turning in the garage. The fear I have is with fall coming on the dealer will not be able to duplicate it due to the cooler weather. Any suggestions?

#30 ·
Hello blankster,

I am sorry for the rubbing noise in the steering column that you are experiencing. I see your concern due to colder weather approaching. If you are willing to work with a dealer, I would recommend bringing your vehicle into the dealer as soon as you can. If you would like our assistance throughout this process in locating a nearby dealer and setting up an appointment, please let us know. We can be reached via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#31 ·
I actually recorded the noise on my cell phone and contacted the dealer through their website. I offered to send them the video via text or Email. The noise is very evident. I have not heard back from them yet. I requested an appointment for next Saturday. This morning it was a bit cooler and no noise. I'm hoping that the video will be sufficient as opposed to going there on a cool days and getting the response "cannot duplicate". My dealer has been pretty good (Patrick Cadillac) so I'm not expecting any issues. But if I do you will be hearing from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.