: Newb to the Forum

bigwoolyg
08-13-12, 08:23 PM
Hey folks,

New to the forums.. I'm considering buying a V. I have been getting the itch for a fast ride, and have been admiring the V from afar for a while. Not totally sold, but getting there..

Former rides include a C6 Z06, BMW 335i, Infinity M45, 97 Camaro SS. I have a pickup and M ZRX 1200r now and it's not enough.. REALLY digging the sportwagon, can't find one in NJ area to drive.. How are these vehicles for taller drivers? I'm married with two kids and would like to be able to cart them around. I'll start searching but wanted to just say hi!

Gary

larry arizona
08-13-12, 08:38 PM
Welcome! Based on your list of cars I don't think the V will disappoint you in any form (coupe,sedan or wagon) I would recommend you drive a sedan to get the feel of the wagon (if a wagon is not readily available). I am 6' 2" and its very room for me and I have the recaros. Warning, a test drive will sell you fast, just be prepared. First added 100RWHP is cheap, easy and a riot.

Take the complaints on this site of squeaks rattles etc with a grain of salt, not all have these issues, but those who do are vocal. The truth is somewhere in between. Apparently dealer choice is important, Personally all dealer are last resort for me as I like to do thing right and fix things myself. Happy shopping and enjoy.

bigwoolyg
08-13-12, 08:45 PM
There is a 12 with 7600 miles right down the road, he is asking for a bunch (dealer), but it is in good shape.. I'm thinking of heading down to take it for a spin but to your point, I need to be ready to buy otherwise there goes my productivity and my already limited ability to listen to my wife talk..

I'm sure there are a million threads on auto vs stick, I'm thinking auto though. Hearing it is plenty quick plus if wifey ever needs to take it out (god help me) she can.. Ok maybe I go stick..

I hear you on the vocal complainers, that's what the forums are all about.. hell if I went by forum posts I'd never buy anything!:histeric:

Hotrod-Realtor
08-13-12, 08:59 PM
Stick (straight drive in the south) will ensure a fun car to drive, always with you, or in the garage, and no door dings because the wife took it shopping at the mall.

. Hearing it is plenty quick plus if wifey ever needs to take it out (god help me) she can.. Ok maybe I go stick..

bigwoolyg
08-13-12, 09:20 PM
Stick (straight drive in the south) will ensure a fun car to drive, always with you, or in the garage, and no door dings because the wife took it shopping at the mall.

I got her a new x3 msport... week 1 it got dented by a shopping cart..

she is good about door swings thoug, kids too.. trained.. but she is not good at nice car parking (at the BACK of the lot away from cars, end cut when possible to reduce number of cars parking next to you..

Hotrod-Realtor
08-13-12, 11:06 PM
Haha. Sounds like me. My kids are not allowed to eat or drink in my car. They can't put their feet on the back of the seats....blah....blah...blah.
I'm surprised they ever want to ride in my cars. lol
I bought my wife a new Charger RT in 2006. The very first trip to Walmart resulted in a scrape / dent in the passenger door. Quite frustrating actually.

bigwoolyg
08-13-12, 11:13 PM
oh yeah - zero interest financing for 48 months on V's!

http://www.cadillac.com/tools/currentoffers/results.do?zipCode=08619&year=2012&brand=ctsVWagon

Xaqtly
08-14-12, 11:37 AM
As far as the headroom thing, that will depend on whether it has the ultraview sunroof or not. With the sunroof headroom is reduced but there's still pretty much enough as long as you're not over 6'4 or so. But you will not fit with a helmet. Without the sunroof there's another couple inches available. With the sunroof, headroom is roughly equivalent to the C6 Z06 in my experience. I can't fit in a Z06 with a helmet either.

Also people here will argue about manual vs. auto forever, but if you like manual transmissions you will eventually regret getting the automatic. Not because it's bad, but because you will want to drive the car with a manual after a while. What a lot of people don't realize before buying this car is how good it is as an actual sports car when you turn up the wick. People who like manuals but get the auto because it's a cadillac, or because they want the wife to be able to drive it or whatever, seem to always regret that decision after owning the car for a couple months.

So if you like autos, then by all means get the auto. There's nothing wrong with it. But if you like manuals and you get the auto for convenience reasons, there's a good chance you're going to regret it. That's just IMO, but there are a few people here who have experienced this issue after doing the same thing.

larry arizona
08-14-12, 12:08 PM
I couldnt agree more on the trans choice. If you dream of driving this like a sports car, the V is sublime in manual form even though the Auto is quicker for drag racing. I love rowing the gears in the V.

Auto's are a 10 to 1 choice over the 6M.

I am fortunate to have a wife that can drive a 6M without complaint and I quickly got over that a caddy should be an auto and now have the opposite feeling of freaking people out that a caddy actually comes as a 6M.

Get the one you dream of 6A or 6M and don't regret a compromise later.

bigwoolyg
08-14-12, 07:58 PM
Guys, thanks for the advice. I am about 6'4 and was ok in the Z with helmet, I tend to be more leggy with knees hitting things than my head in cars.. Def don't want one with a roof. I do like driving stick, and for a sports car, stick is really the only choice.. Now the question is whether or not I wait for the 12's to really get incentivized (currently my local dealer is saying about 5500 off of 74K sticker, that's still not good enough, I need to see 10K+ off AND the zero financing deal, or I go used...

larry arizona
08-14-12, 08:05 PM
Go used and get $21K off with under 4000 miles.

bigwoolyg
08-14-12, 08:32 PM
let me know wher I can find one with 4k on the clock for 50K :)

everything around 50K has 50K miles on it so far from my searches..

Deiter556hp
08-14-12, 09:13 PM
Ask the dealer to do better on the price. Mine sticker'd for 73k and got it for 59k. Granted I did get employee pricing and traded in a competitor lease for a bigger rebate, but you should still get at least 8k off the sticker. Anyone can get the supplier discount. If they won't offer it to you, let me know I'll give you a PIN.

larry arizona
08-14-12, 10:24 PM
Patience and it can happen. My deal was rare I admit, but found a 2010 3700 miles stickered at $71K for $50K private seller, full warranty, spotless carfax My buddy owns a Chevy dealer and called the selling dealer in Georgia and the salemans who sold the V and ZR1 said to JUMP all over this deal because he knows who bought them (Babied) Driven for 6 months stored for 13 months inside right next to a ZR1 with same story and 3800 miles. Crazy owner........turned into my good luck

bigwoolyg
08-15-12, 08:13 AM
Patience... not my forte... I will work the dealer... Trouble is, I want a wagon and they are super rare, none within 100 miles and ony 4 within 200 so why are they going to kill themselves to get rid of something they don't even have, I gotta work those dealers direct...
L.A. thats a nice job getting a garage queen cheap..

Deiter556hp
08-15-12, 09:00 AM
My dealer found the one with all the options and color I was looking for in PA and I live in MI. They had to buy it from that dealer since the dealer didn't want to trade for anything.

Xaqtly
08-15-12, 12:30 PM
Patience... not my forte... I will work the dealer... Trouble is, I want a wagon and they are super rare, none within 100 miles and ony 4 within 200 so why are they going to kill themselves to get rid of something they don't even have, I gotta work those dealers direct...

You might have to do what I did, which was to buy one from a dealer in another state, sight unseen. I live in Las Vegas, I bought mine from a dealer in Florida. I had it shipped out here. You are right, V wagons, especially with a manual transmission are unbelievably rare. At one point a couple months ago I ran all the available numbers we had on how many V wagons were built and how many of them were manual vs. auto, I did some guessing, and I ended up estimating that there are less than 100 manual transmission V wagons in existence.

And that may actually be generous, if the 9-to-1 auto to manual ratio holds up the number could be as low as 40 or 50. Total. And obviously not all of them are for sale. When I bought mine, it was one of only three for sale in the entire country.

bigwoolyg
08-15-12, 07:31 PM
hows that beast run in vegas heat?

larry arizona
08-15-12, 08:36 PM
Well I can tell you that the the V will run MUCH better in dry heat than humid heat. High air temps aren't great for IAT's but add humidity and it is far worse. Heat exchangers are much less efficient at shedding heat, AC works much harder, but the killer is humid air is less dense (I know sounds counterintuitive) but its true. Less dense air means LESS power. So I would say Vegas would be better than say Texas or Florida style heat.

Xaqtly
08-16-12, 01:52 PM
hows that beast run in vegas heat?

It's hard to say objectively, but it seems to run fine even in 110 weather (which this year has been almost two straight months so far). The temp needle never goes over where it's supposed to be. I just don't know how much power I'm losing to heat soak, I haven't dynoed it. But operationally at least it seems to be fine.