Cadillac Owners Forum banner

blue "puff" of smoke on start up

11K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  tinman 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I noticed a puff of blue smoke from the exhaust when starting up (morning about 75 deg). Is this something anyone else is seeing? It's a 2008 with 28K.
Thanks,
Tony

#3 ·
Catsmeow, i also have a 2008 CTS with about 38k on it. I purchased it with about 27k about 18 months ago and found that it was using about a quart of oil every 1k miles, and often upon startup saw the cloud of smoke.
I didnt put many miles on the car in those first 15 months or so, but recently started driving it almost everyday. Since it became a daily driver, the oil consumption went down from a quart every 1k miles to about a quart every 3k miles, and i havent seen the blue smoke at startup in quite sometime.
My thoughts are that with the limited driving, that may have caused the oil seals to dry somewhat causing it to burn oil. Now that its driven daily, those seals stay lubricated, thus sealing better ???
whatever happened, im happy with the results.

How often do you drive your car ?

#6 ·
gohawk and tinman are correct. Usually indicates valve seals/guides.

But pull your TB off and look inside the intake manifold with a flashlight, reach inside with a clean paper towel also.

That puddled oil is drawn in on forst strat and causes the smoke puff before the cats get up to temp and can cleanly burn it.

But take the 10 minutes and look inside to see just how much oil your ingesting through the intake air charege......a properly functionng catchcan will trap this and eliminate the issue....and give you 1-3 mpg better fuel economy as your not having the PCM pull timing due to the detonation the oil ingestion causes.

Take a few minutes and look.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.