View Full Version : Insurance claim question?

08-13-12, 12:27 PM
My neighbor hit my STS yesterday while my vehicle was parked. She filed a police report and admitted fault to her insurer. So I called her insurer to get the claim started, and I want to check on the procedure they told me to follow.

They asked about recommending a shop to me, I said no I will be taking my vehicle to the Cadillac dealer for repairs. They said thats fine, but Ill need to go to one of their locations first for an appraisal, and then I am to take that appraisal to cadillac. The insurer will write me a check for the initial appraisal, and that the cadillac repair can take up any further adjustments or variances with them since they work directly with cadillac collision shop as well.

Is this standard? I feel like they're trying to pull a fast one on me, writing me a check directly for what will obviously be a lower repair appraisal than cadillac themselves will want to charge. Is this normal for the industry, should i do what they say? Or do I need to call back and say NO, I will have the appraisal done by cadillac and let them handle the claim directly?

Thanks for any advice

PS Im in Virginia, and I DO intend to make them pay me diminished value. Although I have not mentioned this during my only conversation to the liable insurer to date, i figured id wait and see what kind of appraisals were thrown around first.

08-13-12, 12:31 PM
Force their hand and insist they pay the Cadillac estimate. Most Cadillac dealers with a body shop will work directly with the insurance company. As far a payment for diminished value; good luck with that:worship:

08-13-12, 01:06 PM
They are trying to protect themselves by getting an estimate of repairs (from a site they are confident in); after you bring it to Cadillac, any discussions of price and repair should be dealt with between the insurance company and Cadillac and additional payment, if needed, should also be handled without your involvement. Just make sure that in accepting their check you are not forfeiting any further adjustment and/or payments.

08-13-12, 09:18 PM
Personally, I'd call my own agent, too.

Laws vary a lot between states and you pay your company for protection. Let them earn your money.

08-13-12, 09:29 PM
You can do that take it to there shop for the estimate, n then take to dealer if you want r you can take it to your dealer n let them handle the claim. I work at a bodyshop.

08-13-12, 11:42 PM
Just ask your dealer is that standard procedure.

08-14-12, 03:20 PM
I got into a accident back in 08 in my STS. Got a diminished value check for around 1800. However both right doors were replaced, along with fender and bumper. Someone pulled out in front of me and since I veered he hit the right side of the car. The accident was in Alabama and they do diminished value, only certain states do. Very easy to do. I called Allstate after I got the car back, they sent someone to my house he inspected car, and then I got the check in the mail two weeks later. Good luck

08-15-12, 01:23 AM
In Minnesota the insurance company cannot make you take it anywhere. You can go to one place of your choosing and get it repaired. However if the estimated bill is high they may send out an agent to determine if it is to be totaled or not. So with that in mind you could have a few places look at it and go for the high $ one if you are hoping to get it totaled or the low or mid $ one of you want it fixed. But there is nothing that says you have to get a second opinion, so if you want the dealer to fix it there is nothing preventing that.