: 08 CTS clunking noise when going over bumps

NYCADDY
08-13-12, 12:22 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and need some help. I hear a clunking noise, I think from the rear, when going over bumps in my 08 CTS. I found a discussion about it the other day and apparently there was a recall, something about upper shock bushings? I can't recall exactly and I can not find it for the life of me now. Someone did suggest the person contact some women on the forum who could help with info about warranties and recalls. If any of this sounds familiar or if anybody has any helpful information I would greatly appreciate it.

like2drive
08-13-12, 01:23 PM
You may want to contact Katie - do a search with her name.

As a matter of fact, I was at the dealer this morning for a creaking noise from front right when taking turns and going over bumps. The tech test drove my car and heard it. I thought that it was only some bushings that needed to be lubed...cause I already had a similar issue and they lubed the lower control arm bushings and it solved the issue.
Guess what? Turns out that I apparently need a new front right shock assembly. How come this could be defective at 42,000 miles??? My '09 CTS is still under warranty, but it starts to scare me of what next is going to fail.... What's even more interesting, I baby that car a lot - I'm far from being an aggressive driver. Still have 7/32" of thread left on my OEM Michelin tires.
Needless to say that I'm not very happy with that!

---------
Parts replaced on my '09 CTS (to give you a perspective)
-Front right hub (twice!)
-lower control arms
-Steering rack (last week)
-Several recalls performed (headlights, rear suspension toe links, rear brakes and calipers)
-Rear left license plate light assembly replaced (water was getting in and light flickered)
-Front rotors have been turned three times and finally replaced under warranty
-Tires balanced several times because of the steering wheel shimmy - last couple of times balanced with road force

NYCADDY
08-14-12, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that all in mind. I ended up finding what I was looking for and yes, Katie was the person I was referring to. Thanks again.

NYCADDY
10-02-12, 12:05 PM
That clunking noise turned out to be the lower shock knuckle on the rear drivers side. Dealer replaced it and noise is gone. I don't know if it was a recall or bulletin or what but my car is out of warranty and they didn't charge me for the repair. Very happy about that!