Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Blue Diamond Tricoat

15K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  rockryno 
#1 ·
Hi

I just bought a 2009 CST and it's painted Blue Diamond Tricoat.

I've looked on the internet for touch up paint but have not found any.

So, I'm looking for help as to where I might find some of this color touch up paint.

Thank you

#3 · (Edited)
Assuming its a CTS and not a CST, its called Opulent Blue Metallic but the problem is that color wasnt available on an 09 CTS. If you have an 09 CTS and its blue, someone did a customized paint job on it.
Code for the color is GTR, part # WA-705U. Check the RPO codes in the trunk underneath the cover for the spare tire/sealant tank. Sure its an 09 CTS?

I stand corrected - apparently there was a Blue Diamond Tricoat back in 09. RPO is 96U. Check with dealer to get paint. Color code is GBO.

#5 ·
Yes, it is a CTS, As much as I have typed CTS while searching for this car, I don't know how I miss spelled it.

But, the car is a 2009 and is definently Blue. Just not the dark Navy blue or the very light blue.

On Auto Trader.com where I found the listing for this car, there are several cars listed as having Blue Diamond Tricoat.

It does have a lot of metallic in the paint.

I am waiting on a check to clear my bank, so I won't have the car here until Thursday.

The photo attached is of my car.

Thanks again for the help.

Randy

Attachments

#15 ·
Yes, it is a CTS, As much as I have typed CTS while searching for this car, I don't know how I miss spelled it.

But, the car is a 2009 and is definently Blue. Just not the dark Navy blue or the very light blue.

On Auto Trader.com where I found the listing for this car, there are several cars listed as having Blue Diamond Tricoat.

It does have a lot of metallic in the paint.

I am waiting on a check to clear my bank, so I won't have the car here until Thursday.

The photo attached is of my car.

Thanks again for the help.

Randy
How ironic that you misspelled the word misspelled. :)

#11 ·
I would go through the dealership. Since it's one of the "expensive" paint options, chances are it may have multiple bottles. My red has 2 bottles, base coat and what looks like a tinted clear coat. I asked my dealer to give me some when I purchased the car.

As for your color, it is unique and one of my favorite CTS colors. Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the forums!

#19 ·
I have a 2009 in Blue Diamond Paint as well. Purchased new.

Paint info
96U/GBO WA580Q MYSTIC SAPPHIRE TRICOAT 88860817 5-oz tube/w brush in cap - 88860818 5-oz spray

http://simonbeckett.wikispaces.com/file/view/2010+GM+CHEMICALS.pdf

HOWTO USE THE GMVEHICLE CARE TOUCH-UP PAINT CHARTS
Touch-up paint tubes and spray cans are consolidated into charts by model year, then by body style.
The touch-up paints are listed by the "WA" (four digit) code. This code is the proper method for
choosing paint. While there may be more paint colors with identical "GM" (two digit) codes, each
paint color has only one specific "WA" code.
This catalog includes 2010 through 2008 charts.

To order, submit through the Parts Workbench system using QPO order type.

#21 ·
One note should you ever have to use it - use the pen applicator rather than the brush if possible. The brush always leave a glob unless your are real careful. With the pen end you can fill in the blemish with just the right amount needed to cover the mark. I used it on wifes car and it did the trick. Make sure you keep the applicator clean after use.

#22 ·
I've used a product called Dr. Colorchip. You order the specific paint color for your car. You can buy in differenc sizes depending on need (small chips vs road rash). You apply the paint with a brush and then smear it wearing a latex glove to fill in the chip. Let it set for a few minutes and then hand buff it using a solution and a cloth they give you.

It works pretty well and minimizes that blemish look that occurs when you touch up.

#23 ·
I ordered Dr. Colorchip to repair a couple of small chips on my White Diamond Troicoat and received my order last night. The color in the bottle looks a bit too tan (more like the Latte than the WDT), but I'll report back on how closely it matches the factory color when I try it out on the car this weekend.

#24 ·
Just wanted to give a quick update on Dr. Colorchip. Although I specified the White Diamond Tricoat when ordering, they sent over a paint that looked more tan/off white than anything else. In the box was a slip that said that they do not provide the multiple coats necessary for a tri-caot but instead provide a one-bottle off-white that most closely matches the base coat. Interestingly, I would have expected a perfect match (or at least a bit more effort) for the money they charge for so little paint. So for the tri-coat folks out there, keep in mind that Dr. Colorchip won't send over a factory match paint.

#25 ·
kapones said:
Just wanted to give a quick update on Dr. Colorchip. Although I specified the White Diamond Tricoat when ordering, they sent over a paint that looked more tan/off white than anything else. In the box was a slip that said that they do not provide the multiple coats necessary for a tri-caot but instead provide a one-bottle off-white that most closely matches the base coat. Interestingly, I would have expected a perfect match (or at least a bit more effort) for the money they charge for so little paint. So for the tri-coat folks out there, keep in mind that Dr. Colorchip won't send over a factory match paint.
Interesting. I didn't get that message when I ordered mine. I have the Black Diamond Tricoat.

I wonder if black is different.

#28 ·
kapones said:
I have White Diamond Tricoat and ordered from the attached link and they provided two 1/2 oz bottles, a ground coat and a midcoat.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.