: 2012 xts

KRSTS
08-12-12, 02:31 PM
Drove a new XTS yesterday at my dealer. Bottom line, I don't like it near as much as my STS.

Observations:
1. Hit my head getting in and I'm only 5'8"
2. From the rear looks like a CTS
3. Ample rear seat leg room, but overall too big for my tastes. I think a CTS is too small. My STS is just right.
4. If you think the STS glove box is small, the XTS has none.
5. Trunk seem smaller than my STS.
6. Do not care for the profile.
7. Drives and handles well but is not a sport sedan (front wheel drive).
8. Q doesn't seem to be all that great. The one I drove had no NAV nor Pandora nor Sunroof yet stickered at over $52K
9. From the front looks good.

Don't think I'd be interested. Will wait for the ATS. Even though small, it seems to be a real driver's car.:nono:

ddalder
08-12-12, 03:21 PM
Interestingly, I drove one yesterday as well.

This one was AWD which seemed to handle well.
Size was okay for me but wasn't as "roomy" in the front as my STS.
Ride was quieter than my STS.
This one was a more base model (they haven't got any others yet) and didn't have the reconfigurable instrument cluster.
The haptic feedback on the touch controls wasn't as responsive as I'd like. This was mentioned in some videos as well.
It seemed to lack power in comparison to my Northstar. Not sure how it compares with the V6 STS.
I agree the back looks too much like the CTS. I don't really care for this but can probably get used to it.
I like the panoramic roof.
Sticker price on this was just under $58K CAN. Of course, we get hosed on pricing up here despite being built in Canada.
Seats seemed quite comfortable.
Disappointed that it's FWD or AWD.

I'm waiting until they have a little more upscale trim level to look over. I'm also always reluctant to purchase the first model year of a brand new car. We'll see.

1BadCadSTS
08-12-12, 08:11 PM
The ats with its rwd derived platform will be a better STS similar car.

C&C
08-13-12, 05:28 AM
The next CTS is going to be the better STS similar car (the ATS, in all ways, is smaller).

eatyoursandwich
08-13-12, 08:59 AM
Test drove an XTS AWD Platinum about 2 weeks ago.

Same thoughts as ddadler, for me.

Seemed underpowered -- a little quicker off the line than the N* and slightly better MPG, but overall, I would prefer the N*.

CUE would take some getting used to -- inputs are very small, similar to the new Denalis. Over-engineered, IMO.

Seats are very comfortable, interior is very Euro in how it's designed. Sticker was just under $62k.

For me, with an XTS, there is no point in buying one unless it's AWD.

Not enough for me to trade anything for it.

malatu
08-13-12, 09:55 AM
The next CTS is going to be the better STS similar car (the ATS, in all ways, is smaller).

I got to drive a 2012 CTS loader for three days. I thought it was ok until I got back into my 2006 sts. Then I realized how much I really like and enjoy driving my sts. There "ain't no" comparing the cts to the sts. Though I greatly prefer my sts over the cts..... my point is ... I don't know how one compares the cts to the sts. "It's apples to oranges!"

I do get your point (I think). Your suggesting that if someone wanted a car most similar to the sts, the cts gets closer than the ats does.

RippyPartsDept
08-13-12, 10:52 AM
ahem, 2013 XTS you mean...

C&C
08-13-12, 11:32 AM
What I meant was the next 'remodel' of the CTS; it is to grow a little to move up into the 5-Series/Mercedes E class (which our STS was closest to).

KRSTS
08-13-12, 11:55 AM
ahem, 2013 XTS you mean...

My bad of course your right, thanks for the correction:dammit:

RippyPartsDept
08-13-12, 12:18 PM
No prob - I'm a stickler for details

malatu
08-13-12, 07:10 PM
What I meant was the next 'remodel' of the CTS; it is to grow a little to move up into the 5-Series/Mercedes E class (which our STS was closest to).

Then wouldn't the sts and the cts essentially be competing for the same market space?

EChas3
08-13-12, 08:05 PM
Then wouldn't the sts and the cts essentially be competing for the same market space?

I contend this is one reason the STS never achieved the success it could have. The CTS Gen 2 was an outstanding value even if it fell short of the 5xx. There was no room in the new car market for the STS.

curtc
08-13-12, 08:45 PM

They don't make STS's anymore so no :)

malatu
08-13-12, 11:21 PM
They don't make STS's anymore so no :)

I meant ... wouldn't the xts and the cts be competing for the same market space.

C&C
08-14-12, 05:28 AM
I meant ... wouldn't the xts and the cts be competing for the same market space.
Again, no, because the vehicles are different enough dynamically; with the XTS more luxury oriented and the CTS (new, larger) more performance oriented. And to your point, yes (somewhat), if size is a heavy factor in a buyer's decision. And while we may see a 'hotter' engine in the subsequent XTS's, there is a very good bet, you won't see a coupe or a "V" model (but will with the CTS's).

RippyPartsDept
08-14-12, 09:19 AM
i heard that the new CTS bodystyle will only be a sedan - no wagon or coupe

curtc
08-14-12, 11:20 PM
I won't lie, not a fan of the XTS at all, think it looks like a Buick on 'roids and now looks like everything else on the road...Only thing that looks decent is the front end, from straight on. The front fenders are TINY, can clearly see that it's a FWD car, and the rest almost looks Hyundai'ish...Now, the interior is another story, CUE looks amazing, materials looks much improved but I really think Cadillac went the wrong way with this one...but something more is in the works I've read, the XTS is NOT Cadillac's flagship...they have something else up their sleeves over at GM.

In my opinion the ATS is much more visually appealing, XTS just looks kinda "blah"