: Plasti-dipped Matte Red CTS-V!

Captain McFunk
08-12-12, 02:27 AM
Yep, you read it right. I plasti-dipped my entire CTS-V in Matte red. It looks awesome. I know people will hate it. I will literally be the only one in the US with this color combo. Photoshoot to come! Updated with the video.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/photo-43.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/photo-44.jpg

http://youtu.be/P9Xk7t2LItU?hd=1

Thanks!

AP

larry arizona
08-12-12, 07:13 AM
:cookoo: I dont get it. I admire your creativity, but personally don't like it at all. Maybe it will look different in person, but the color is just odd/off.

SleeperCTSV
08-12-12, 07:23 AM
It looks like the primer is on even and it is ready to be painted. ;)

Good job, but it looks terrible. Sorry.

larry arizona
08-12-12, 09:05 AM
THATS it. Red Primer. I was trying to recall what it reminded me of. I did autobody/paint during college and that is red primer for sure!!!!

CoppeR
08-12-12, 09:17 AM
Yeah, ur right. Maybe some daylight pics...looks pink.

Mike02z
08-12-12, 09:28 AM
As long as you like it, that is all that matters. If nothing else, at least your paint is protected. How many hours and how much Plastidip did you use? Kudos on the creativity and hard work but as others have said, it looks like the car is ready to be painted.

Kmajecki
08-12-12, 10:10 AM
Hopefully its just the florescent lights making it look so pink. Looking forward to seeing some better pics

simgolfer
08-12-12, 10:33 AM
If unique was the goal, you scored big cajones. Not my style but good for you.

SoCalCTSV
08-12-12, 10:49 AM
Way to ruin a nice car!

OldRoadDawg
08-12-12, 11:48 AM
Just put the Mary Kay logo on the side and your good

Captain McFunk
08-12-12, 11:56 AM
I guess it's just my imac, but it shows up as red as can be to me? It's a bright matte red. I'll shoot some more photos and see if I can capture the light, although the red plasti-dip is known to be hard to capture on camera. Thanks for the critiques though. it's all about being unique, and i think i've done it with this beast.

cadi509
08-12-12, 12:04 PM
Idk it doesn't look too bad don't know if I could do it to a new car though

WA 2 FST
08-12-12, 03:00 PM
Did you plasti-dip the chrome trim to black it out?

Captain McFunk
08-12-12, 03:05 PM
Did you plasti-dip the chrome trim to black it out?

Yes i did.

Stillborn
08-12-12, 03:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo

futurectsbuyer
08-12-12, 08:11 PM
Different. Good thing about it is it's yours and when you tire of it. Just peel it off. Good job on the dip. Looks a little pink but still looks good towards the back. Must be the lights.

Purple87SS
08-13-12, 02:11 PM
Over White Diamond? Not my cup of tea.

thebigjimsho
08-14-12, 12:30 PM
Looks like bacon.

Stillborn
08-14-12, 05:43 PM
some sort of "Ammoniated Beef".

thebigjimsho
08-15-12, 10:43 AM
I think I'm gonna call Colonel McFunkenstein's V the Pink Slime...

Trionalaw
08-15-12, 12:06 PM
Frankly, I think it's pretty cool. Kudos for taking a bold step. I felt I took one when I Plasti dipped all the chrome except the V logo.

Reeper
08-15-12, 12:16 PM
Well, I'm NOT into a couple things about it.
1.- I'm kinda already over the total matte look!!
2.-I've always never been a fan of red cars in general!!

that being said, I think in a world of matte black cars yours DOES look different and actually kinda pulls it off!!
The great about it though you can peel it off and try different colors!!

Has anyone done a matte olive green (military)?? HHMMMM LOL!!

Darnell
08-15-12, 03:08 PM
Yep, you read it right. I plasti-dipped my entire CTS-V in Matte red. It looks awesome. I know people will hate it. I will literally be the only one in the US with this color combo. Photoshoot to come! Updated with the video.

AP

Yep.

futurectsbuyer
08-15-12, 06:46 PM
definitely took some kahonas...

Mike02z
08-15-12, 09:14 PM
definitely took some kahonas...

Not really. That is the beauty of Plasti-dip. If you don't like it, just peel it off. I think the OP put a lot of effort onto getting it put on, but taking it off should take less than a couple hours with no damage to the paint.

Captain McFunk
08-15-12, 10:09 PM
Not really. That is the beauty of Plasti-dip. If you don't like it, just peel it off. I think the OP put a lot of effort onto getting it put on, but taking it off should take less than a couple hours with no damage to the paint.

You're right, took it off tonight, 1 hour. Ordered my custom dark blue to respray, should be in soon!

Mike02z
08-15-12, 10:14 PM
You're right, took it off tonight, 1 hour. Ordered my custom dark blue to respray, should be in soon!

Go for it! The only issue is they only have 4 colors so if you don't like blue your stuck with black or yellow...I guess you could "smoke" the whole car too. :)

Kmajecki
08-15-12, 10:14 PM
No blaze blue?

http://www.dpe-wheels.com/news/exoticr8.jpg

Mike02z
08-15-12, 10:51 PM
Wow, they have more colors than I thought. I guess it only comes in 4 colors and smoke in the rattle cans.

Captain McFunk
08-15-12, 10:53 PM
No blaze blue, I'm getting the light blue but mixing black in it

CTS4MATION
08-15-12, 10:53 PM
It was gorgeouse before, Caddy white is an amazing color IMO..... Now its definitely unique.

Congrats on the biggest "set" Ive come across in a while!

Trapspeed
08-15-12, 10:54 PM
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo)

Awesome....and so true. Look, I'm all about "to each his own" but I just can not "wrap" my hands around this. WTF?

Captain McFunk
08-15-12, 11:46 PM
What's so hard? I wanted a temporary solution to change the color of my car with no ill effects to the paint and it look perfect for $200. Simple.

Trapspeed
08-16-12, 07:31 AM
What's so hard? I wanted a temporary solution to change the color of my car with no ill effects to the paint and it look perfect for $200. Simple.

Don't get me wrong. It's great if you want to dip your car. That's the beauty of personal choices. All I said was I couldn't do it. That's all. Have at it!

Purple87SS
08-16-12, 10:38 AM
Peeled it off already...that was quick!

Captain McFunk
08-16-12, 10:42 AM
Peeled it off already...that was quick!

It was textured due to spraying too little up front, I ordered blue after learning to spray correctly after a panel respray, so i'm going with darker blue.

BigJoeD
08-16-12, 12:09 PM
You can def see the red in the last few seconds of the video. My first impression was WTF but it could grow on me.

SleeperCTSV
08-16-12, 12:42 PM
The blue may look sweet. Subscribed.

Captain McFunk
08-16-12, 03:46 PM
This is what it should be, but a little darker. This is 15% black, 85% blue, my mix will be 25% black, 75% blue:

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/616424_368665659871197_499297009_o.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/329481_368665533204543_1636911400_o.jpg

FFBOS
08-16-12, 03:56 PM
That would look sharp

NAX-121
08-17-12, 12:14 AM
Anyone think this would work as a protection layer for us guys who track our cars. Ive used plasti-dip for my grill and it seems like it would be better than racers tape? I have a wrap for the headlamps so it would simply be for the regular tape areas you would do to track. Any thoughts guys?

Stillborn
08-17-12, 12:39 AM
Anyone think this would work as a protection layer for us guys who track our cars. Ive used plasti-dip for my grill and it seems like it would be better than racers tape? I have a wrap for the headlamps so it would simply be for the regular tape areas you would do to track. Any thoughts guys?

i think it's a matter of time consumption & related job cost (materials) more than anything else. whatever works.

StealthViggen
08-17-12, 12:54 AM
I don't get the "my will be the only one like it" mentality. I can glue donkey shit to my hood, then tell everyone that "hey my car is the only one like it!". It's still got shit on the hood. I've been a fan of some of your previous work, but this is just plain horrible. Looks pink/orange ans uneven/spotchy coverage. It makes you classy beast into a getto ricer primered civic. Please go back to the White...PLease!

Kmajecki
08-17-12, 06:40 AM
He already took the red off.

Stillborn
08-17-12, 01:31 PM
diamond white is the most bawler color for sure. i waited 18mo to find said car. people at car shows always give kudos to that dw paint. why anyone would want to matt it out is beyond me. a black car, i get it, as black paint and swirl marks could drive someone insane...white cars dont show fine scratches and always look good from 10ft and 5mph.

Captain McFunk
08-17-12, 03:12 PM

This is actually what most people use it for, a layer of protection on their front clip during road racing, long road trips, etc.

I don't get the "my will be the only one like it" mentality. I can glue donkey shit to my hood, then tell everyone that "hey my car is the only one like it!". It's still got shit on the hood. I've been a fan of some of your previous work, but this is just plain horrible. Looks pink/orange ans uneven/spotchy coverage. It makes you classy beast into a getto ricer primered civic. Please go back to the White...PLease!

I just like to be different. This is how I do that. The red is gone, but it will be dark blue very soon.

diamond white is the most bawler color for sure. i waited 18mo to find said car. people at car shows always give kudos to that dw paint. why anyone would want to matt it out is beyond me. a black car, i get it, as black paint and swirl marks could drive someone insane...white cars dont show fine scratches and always look good from 10ft and 5mph.

Diamond White is a sick color. I agree. But coming back to wanting to be unique, many people have diamond white. No one has a matte colored CTS-V (for the most part) and no one has a color other than matte white or matte black. That makes changing the color (non-permanently) very unique, and thats what i'm going for.

CTS4MATION
08-18-12, 12:36 AM
So when do you expect the new shoot to be?

Captain McFunk
08-18-12, 10:10 AM
So when do you expect the new shoot to be?

whenever the new blue paint comes in. They said it was in stock, but they are taking FOREVER to send out orders right now due to being so backed up.

AlbertoC
08-18-12, 11:53 AM
If it was a vibrant red...then it would be a different story. It does look pinkish to me too...not for me. But enjoy it if it speaks to you

SoCalCTSV
08-18-12, 03:09 PM

You guys are so polite.

"it's your car. If you like it great!"

Blah blah blah.

It looked awful. That's an honest opinion.

CTS4MATION
08-19-12, 12:08 AM
whenever the new blue paint comes in. They said it was in stock, but they are taking FOREVER to send out orders right now due to being so backed up.

Sounds good man, Im looking forward to seeing the new color!

tlsmikey
08-21-12, 11:50 AM
Just saw this. I think i threw up in my mouth a little bit. :helpless:

rockryno
08-21-12, 12:06 PM
Don't listen to all these opinionated haters. I thought the red looked cool, and very unique. Do what you want, If nobody else likes it, they can deal.

Captain McFunk
08-22-12, 09:04 AM
Don't listen to all these opinionated haters. I thought the red looked cool, and very unique. Do what you want, If nobody else likes it, they can deal.

Oh I know. They're the ones who drive stock vehicles all their life. They'd also be the ones tripping out and asking questions if they saw it in person :)

The blue should be here by this weekend.

Kirk3
08-22-12, 12:40 PM
Let people flip out over something that is temporary if they want. I understand some of the shade of red comments, but who cares, I'd drive around with it for a couple of days and turn a few more heads than the car already does.

Looking forward to the blue, I hope it turns out like your sample pics.

larry arizona
08-22-12, 02:31 PM
They dont call him Captn Mac Funky for nothing......:histeric: The Captn is good with me!!

thebigjimsho
08-22-12, 05:30 PM
Oh I know. They're the ones who drive stock vehicles all their life. They'd also be the ones tripping out and asking questions if they saw it in person :)

The blue should be here by this weekend.:umno:

I've given you props on past endeavors. Because they worked. The Pink Slime did not...

larry arizona
08-22-12, 05:42 PM
Frankly I would appreciate honesty and a real opinion rather than peeps being polite and blowing smoke up my ass telln me my whip looked great when it looked like ass (My god what would the ladies think?????? Did ya wreck the car and its in the primer stage?):helpless:. I honestly hated that red, but I am interested in seeing the blue. If the blue looks like ass to then back to the drawing board. Worst case the white diamond is a good fallback.

McFunk knows he has nutz and has been given SOLID props win or lose and nobody is saying he is bad for trying. Sometimes things don't work out.......

thebigjimsho
08-22-12, 05:53 PM
Indeed. I am intrigued by the blue as well...

Captain McFunk
08-23-12, 07:02 PM
bigjimsho, nothing was directed towards you at all. Just a consensus I see in people who didn't like it. I do stand by my initial posting that the plasti-dip in red was a bright red color. it was not by any stretch pink in person. I do however think it was TOO bright of a red, and thus why i'm going for the blue. The plasti-dip will be here Monday, and I plan on trying to knock it out some night next week, or the following weekend, not sure when yet.

Thanks all!

Vwagon2012
08-24-12, 05:20 PM
Go for it McFunk!!! Your car, do what you want. Sometimes people don't get the fact it's your car. Some people just don't have the balls to do it. So they hate on those who do. Make it yours and yours alone. Good for you.

StealthViggen
08-25-12, 09:54 AM
Go for it McFunk!!! Your car, do what you want. Sometimes people don't get the fact it's your car. Some people just don't have the balls to do it. So they hate on those who do. Make it yours and yours alone. Good for you.

Possibly the dumest thing I have heard in a while. People hate because they don't have the balls to do it? So If I rip off all my clothes and start rubbing my junk on your girl in line at the bank are you going to hate me because I had the balls to do it? Everybody does something stupid now and then. Providing honest objective feedback is what people who actualy care do. This is why there are so many idiotic 20 something losers running thinking they're special. Parents and friends can't be bothered to tell them what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. Bottom line, this looked like shit...like really really shit...even he knows it. If the blue looks great, I'll high five him, but if it looks terrible I'll continue to tell him so, as should others.

SoCalCTSV
08-25-12, 11:06 AM
Possibly the dumest thing I have heard in a while. People hate because they don't have the balls to do it? So If I rip off all my clothes and start rubbing my junk on your girl in line at the bank are you going to hate me because I had the balls to do it? Everybody does something stupid now and then. Providing honest objective feedback is what people who actualy care do. This is why there are so many idiotic 20 something losers running thinking they're special. Parents and friends can't be bothered to tell them what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. Bottom line, this looked like shit...like really really shit...even he knows it. If the blue looks great, I'll high five him, but if it looks terrible I'll continue to tell him so, as should others.

I'm with this guy.

Bravo!

larry arizona
08-25-12, 12:12 PM
I'm with this guy.

Bravo!

AMEN! Be honest with the youth because mommy and daddy havent done it yet. NOW, the captn is fine and I don't think for one second he falls into this category so I am not at all pointing at him, But there are MANY DB punks out there that need a reality check in life. Failure breeds success and lying to these punks and always telling them they are great and never letting them fall breeds FAILURE every time.

MSOsr
08-25-12, 03:14 PM
Give them a trophy for participating in a sport, even if they never play in a game.

Being told you're not good at something when you're young HELPS you; it gives you the opportunity to try something else at which you might be good.

Mike (Rant over)

Captain McFunk
08-26-12, 10:36 AM
woah! Left for a work week and came back to a tirade! I agree with most regarding the young. I've seen it way too many times. I am younger (25), but i think i've done pretty well for myself at my age. My home and car were all bought on my own from my job. I am just trying to keep it fresh and exciting in the aftermarket for a car that, lets be honest, has a lacking aftermarket appearance-wise. The blue should be here monday, and i think i'm going to spray it probably thursday or friday night.

Thanks all!

Vwagon2012
08-26-12, 12:32 PM
Possibly the dumest thing I have heard in a while. People hate because they don't have the balls to do it? So If I rip off all my clothes and start rubbing my junk on your girl in line at the bank are you going to hate me because I had the balls to do it? Everybody does something stupid now and then. Providing honest objective feedback is what people who actualy care do. This is why there are so many idiotic 20 something losers running thinking they're special. Parents and friends can't be bothered to tell them what they need to hear, not what they want to hear. Bottom line, this looked like shit...like really really shit...even he knows it. If the blue looks great, I'll high five him, but if it looks terrible I'll continue to tell him so, as should others. Yes the dumbest reply I've heard, stupid comparing public nudity and modding your car. It's his car let him enjoy what he likes. Picaso or Devinci. It's in the eye of the beholder. Vanilla or Chocolate. Individual taste. So your reasoning is if your ugly I'll let you know your ugly. I don't like your hair color, change it for me. It's not your car. Get it. Not yours.

SoCalCTSV
08-26-12, 12:51 PM
The point is that theses replies are not honest opinions. Some of you sound like my lovely little wife. She cannot ever be critical. If you asked her if she liked something, she would answer something like "I like it but so long as you like it, that's great.". The reality is she doesn't like it. If you gave it to her, she would quietly walk away from it so she wouldn't hurt your feelings.

Everyone has an option. We also know we can do whatever we want to our cars and NOTHING or NO ONE on these boards can stop us. I for one joke about everyone blacking out their chrome trim. It's not for me cause I prefer the chrome.. I love the chrome trim on my Chevelle.

I saw a grown man murder out his vette and put batman emblems on it. It looked silly but I'm sure some love it. He didn't ask for my opinion or post it on a message board so I didn't give him my opinion. But I didn't sit there and say to him that was his car and he could do what he wanted to it. When I was in my 20s, I murdered out my Mustang and did this whole Punisher theme. Skull emblems, etc. It was cool and all my 20 something year old buddies agreed. But I realized one day at a valet stand that my clients probably thought it was silly. I express my own individuality but stop at attention grabbing. My co workers can't tell their sliver or black BMWs, Benz, Audis and Porsches apart. I have a mild B&B exhaust and don't need to set off their alarms. All of the younger junior guys in our firm with fart cans and open exhausts have their own thing going. That's cool. I won't give my opinion unless they ask for it.

thebigjimsho
08-29-12, 01:40 PM
Yes the dumbest reply I've heard, stupid comparing public nudity and modding your car. It's his car let him enjoy what he likes. Picaso or Devinci. It's in the eye of the beholder. Vanilla or Chocolate. Individual taste. So your reasoning is if your ugly I'll let you know your ugly. I don't like your hair color, change it for me. It's not your car. Get it. Not yours.

Leaving the Colonel out of this altogether, you're not being consistent. Did anyone take his keys and lock up his V in a barn? No. Giving opinions does not = not letting him mod his car.

Vwagon2012
08-29-12, 09:27 PM
The great thing about modding our cars is that it makes it our car. Unique, one of a kind. Extreme or not. Bashing what someone else thinks looks good is selfish. Do what you want to your car. It's great that he thinks outside the box and took a chance. We should be glad to have people like this among us.

UnderPSI
08-30-12, 06:31 PM
Would have been better off wrapping the car in satin red film. You can just peel it off when ever you want and the car looks brand new again.

Captain McFunk
08-30-12, 06:33 PM
Would have been better off wrapping the car in satin red film. You can just peel it off when ever you want and the car looks brand new again.

...that's what this did...except this was 200 where the film is 3000 and the film takes a while to install and this takes a couple of hours.

CTS4MATION
08-30-12, 09:43 PM
...that's what this did...except this was 200 where the film is 3000 and the film takes a while to install and this takes a couple of hours.

This also has minimal work after you peel it off, vinyl is a PITA!

Sooooooo whens that blue comin in ;)?

Captain McFunk
08-31-12, 10:18 AM
This also has minimal work after you peel it off, vinyl is a PITA!

Sooooooo whens that blue comin in ;)?

The blue is here at my house. We're sitting right in Hurricane Isaac right now, though :/ It should be out of here by this afternoon, and i'm planning on spraying the car tonight or tomorrow after I wash it. I'm going to do another video and post the obligatory pics, of course, in a new thread. This one got a little off topic.

Xaqtly
08-31-12, 04:29 PM
Yeah, honestly I'm really looking forward to seeing what the matte blue looks like.

UnderPSI
09-06-12, 01:52 AM
I don't know where you are finding $3,000 film? You can use high quality 3M or Dinoc for less than half that to do a whole car.

Captain McFunk
09-06-12, 06:46 PM
I don't know where you are finding $3,000 film? You can use high quality 3M or Dinoc for less than half that to do a whole car.

The film is about $600 that i'm finding. With installation, $3,000. I dont want to do the install myself because the vinyl was tough to work with, less forgiving, discolored when heated in some cases, would be hard to mold the front/rear bumpers, would have to take off the door handles, which means taking off the door panels, etc. and I just didn't want to deal with all of that.