Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2012 CTS transmission problems

27K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  NorthernSRX 
G
#1 ·
I have about 10k miles on my 2012 AWD CTS, almost all highway miles going to and from work. At times, I get heavy footed. On the highway, my car reacts normally. On the streets though, if I'm pedal to the medal, my car, it slips changing gears from 1st to 2'nd gear. The car sounds like it's trying to change gears, then the traction control light toggles on and off a few times. Anyone else experience this problem? It happened to me once before and now it happening a little more often.:/

#2 ·
If you are flooring it around corners or from a stop with the stability and traction control on what you are most likely experiencing is the power being cut to the engine when you loose traction. This is normal for any new cars eith rlelectronic nannies. Put the car in competitive mode (not sure if non-coupes has this option) and the problem shouldnt continue

#3 ·
I hate my transmission. I swear I have a leftover Powerglide in my car. Which reminds me of a girl I used to know with that nickname, but I'm not going there on a public forum.

Reactions: gunnermg
#14 ·
Yes, you did in 2012 and will continue to do so.
You are tinman. A legacy and a brother.

I've always wanted to reply to a post almost a decade later but man, do I miss me some Frank Zappa.
We're getting closer to being "those guys" on these pages with every passing day. Congrats?

Reactions: silversport
#4 ·
Only have about 2500miles on the new '12 wagon but so far the automatic transmission works fine....I am still adjusting to the spectrum of capabilities built into this transmission and although the learning curve isn't real steep the transmission is certainly more advanced than the transmission in my '98 STS.....In normal or D, the transmission shifts smoothly and positively and will downshift to provide engine braking downhill when cruise is on. When in Sport mode the shift points change and the gear changes are faster and more positive...I must admit I haven't pushed too hard or given the car any kind of road race challenge due to the low miles but so far so good. I am a driver who much prefers a manual transmission so convincing me an automatic is ok might be more difficult than for other drivers who are more automatic oriented.....Tinman, my transmission does not feel like a powerglide, leftover or otherwise, do you suppose there is something amiss with yours? I am not sure if there is any difference between the '10 and '12 transmissions but I don't think so.....The girl I knew was nicknamed 'Dynamo' and was probably 'Powerglides' sister or cousin

#7 ·
1st to 2nd has always clunked and slipped a little on mine, especially if you accelerate moderately, then let your foot off the gas for some reason -- usually stop and go traffic. It's noticeably better in automatic sport mode (shifter to M, but no gear manually chosen), so you might try that to see if it makes any difference. My transmission was replaced at 10K miles when the transmission tore itself apart after the car lost communication with the computer. Both transmissions have acted the same.

As far as traction control goes, I'd agree with Cellice's evaluation. It sounds like you're just exceeding the threshold for the traction control to kick in as you drive hard around a corner.

G
#8 ·
It did it to me again yesterday. This time i managed to record it. the first two revs, I take my foot off the pedel just before it would shift and the gear sorta jerks. that last time (around 46 secs) i dont, and then you can see the traction light kick in when it slips gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Vq0ewXEL8

#10 ·
Roadcall, I'm sorry the transmission concerns have continued for you! If you decide to bring your CTS to a dealership so they can attempt to diagnose it, please let me know and I can follow up with them on your behalf. (My email is Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!)

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service
We have the same issue with ours 2012 cts
Transmission is slipping

#12 ·
Just hope you don't have the issues I had with mine. Mine started slipping because it was low on fluid. Unfortunately there is no easy way to check it or refill it.
In my case ended up burning up the transmission before I could get it to the shop and now it is in process of a $3800 rebuild.

Rodney

#15 ·
Jeezus he was great. On 'Billy the Mountain' he talks about some little podunk town outside Columbus.

He was in the middle of writing that song and played it at an outdoor concert (with J. Giels). He was midway through and stopped. He said that was as far as he had gotten with that song. We all bantered back and forth. Obviously he finished that song with 'credit' to my 'University' (that's a Canadian thing). A memorible night. And I have some excellent stories from that night as well.

#16 ·
Jeezus he was great. On 'Billy the Mountain' he talks about some little podunk town outside Columbus.

He was in the middle of writing that song and played it at an outdoor concert (with J. Giels). He was midway through and stopped. He said that was as far as he had gotten with that song. We all bantered back and forth. Obviously he finished that song with 'credit' to my 'University' (that's a Canadian thing). A memorible night. And I have some excellent stories from that night as well.
Laughed so hard when Glenn Fry was reminiscing about pushing Jackson Browne trying to finish up the lyrics to "Running on empty" when they lived in the same apartment complex.
Sometimes even the great ones need a little nudge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.