: Tired of buying Fan modules

coupe930
08-11-12, 04:56 PM
I have replaced the cooling fan module twice on my 89 and it is again out. I wired a switch in to turn on the high speed fan, but would really rather fix the module. I thought that I saw a thread that had information about replacing transistors in the module with ones that were more robust, but I can't find it. Maybe I saw that someplace else. Does anyone recall or have information on rebuilding the fan module to a better unit?

Thanks

artinvegas
10-21-12, 02:35 PM
I have replaced the cooling fan module twice on my 89 and it is again out. I wired a switch in to turn on the high speed fan, but would really rather fix the module. I thought that I saw a thread that had information about replacing transistors in the module with ones that were more robust, but I can't find it. Maybe I saw that someplace else. Does anyone recall or have information on rebuilding the fan module to a better unit?

Thanks

I do electronic design and repairs...If interested, contact me and maybe I can help.

arthujt@excite.com

carnut
10-21-12, 03:33 PM
Are these wrecking yard modules? You say OUT AGAIN, does that mean no hi fan or no fan at all? How long do they last?

coupe930
10-21-12, 06:27 PM
No I have not bought wrecking yard modules. The new modules seem to last for a few years. I had some overheating problems under warranty when the fans did not operate and that was probably the module as well. I have had this 89 since 1990 and I think it has had 4 modules in it including the one that is in it now and in need of replacement. When I say out again, I mean that every time I start the car I get the cooling fan fault alert on the DIC and the fans do not run. I wired it so the low speed fan runs all of the time and I have a switch for the high speed fan, but would rather have it run by the module instead of me watching the temp gauge.
Thanks.

carnut
10-21-12, 07:48 PM
My 1st thought was 4 modules since 1990, not too bad, but maybe the fan motor itself is pulling too many amps? on initial start up. That could eventually damage the module. I have always thought that this module needs better air flow over it. The same module on that era of Eldorado was mounted just behind the grille, getting great airflow.

DavidL
10-23-12, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure what the module failure problem is, though that seems excessive. My '92 Allanté, which I've owned since 1994 has had only one replacement module. If you find out what the problem is, I'd appreciate your findings. Good luck.

coupe930
10-24-12, 07:30 PM
I haven't taken the module apart (too busy and not making any money) I guess its time to pull it out and see what is inside. It doesn't work anyway, so that is what I'll do first chance I get. Maybe I'll give the guy with the first reply a call when I see what this is all about. By the way, as I recall the last module did not last very long. Less than 2 years I'm pretty sure and the one before that didn't have a real long life either. There was a long period (several years, maybe 10) where I didn't have any problems with the fan module. Then it all seemed to turn south.

carnut
10-25-12, 12:19 AM
Did you verify either fan is not pulling too many amps? on start up.

coupe930
10-30-12, 02:50 PM
No I never checked on how many amps the fans were pulling. Never thought of that

carnut
11-09-12, 01:45 PM
Was this issue ever fixed????

coupe930
11-13-12, 06:53 PM
I still haven't gotten to it. It is the season to cut firewood for the winter and I have a new business project along with 2 motorcycle projects that are currently active. Too many projects and nothing ever gets done on time. Maybe I can start on the fan module later this week.

jim55
12-26-12, 04:43 AM
the thread information. You are speaking about was posted on 7/24/12 by Limo1 . This does work, and afterwards you will have twice the unit

coupe930
01-10-13, 10:18 PM
I took the easy way out when I found a used module on E bay that I got for $85.00. I think that I will modify the old one. That way I will have a better replacement when the used one goes out.