: Are Fiat 500s selling well?

orconn
08-11-12, 04:27 PM
Apparently a little slow, because they are now advertising a $500. bonus for college grads who buy one. Perhaps Fiat should revamp and revoice over their best ad for the 500. May it should go like this:

Hey, Nerd Boy, are you gonna buy one of these Fiats or am I gonna have to hit you up beside the head!!!

Jesda
08-11-12, 05:30 PM
They fired their marketing director (and J Lo) after a botched US launch. Now things have improved with sales at 4000 units in June.

http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/07/fiat-500-record-breaking-june-sales.html

CIWS
08-11-12, 06:26 PM
http://youtu.be/2rxgxY9awWY

CadillacLuke24
08-11-12, 08:41 PM
The car looks pretty safe, but if you get into a pileup on I-5 in fog at rush hour, well, that bounceback may very well put you in the path of an oncoming Kenworth.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-11-12, 08:53 PM
As of right now i know of about 6 fiat 500s in our area, not including my gfs...

Now i may be seeing different cars with very similiar color combos.
Theres a bright red with sport package
A white with sport package
A white with red convertible top
A silver base hardtop
A pearl white lounge hardtop (loaded)
And a sand/shale/champagne base model hardtop.

Part of the problem as i just found out is that FIAT is apparently trying to pull an apple, or maintain a reputation...

Originally, only at&t corporate stores and apple stores could sell iphones, walmart, radio shack, best buy and independent dealers couldnt. That has since changed

Well apparently, you currently have to be an approved fiat vendor, being part of a large dealer chain isnt enough either.

For example we had to go to cary nc, which is about 2 hours away, to buy our fiat.
We took it in for an oil change, and a salesman commented that he had just gone through hell and back to sell a USED fiat, even though they are part of the same dealer chain we bought from (hendrick chrysler jeep..)

He said their located hadnt gone through the conversion process yet, but would be very soon, theyll have a fiat showroom, fiat techs, fiat bays fiat everything. He ended up having to sell it under someone in carys commission code or something, then have the car delivered to fayetteville after the fact.

I can imagine as more dealers get "approved" more fiats will start to be sold...fayetteville is a very trend-ish town...they want the new this or that. If its new here it sells like crazy. New restaurant? Guaranteed tl be packed for 6 months.

Anyway, we expect to see a flood of 500's soon enough

ben.gators
08-11-12, 09:28 PM
I see a lot of these little fellows on Oahu, actually they are good cars to drive around the island. But I really don't see myself driving one of them even if the gorgeous Romanian model beats the crap out of me!:p

And this is my favorite 500 commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKUrYf1z9Bg

The only complain I have about this commercial is when they stop that beautiful elegant Italian music and play the rough music instead!

Jesda
08-11-12, 09:38 PM
If GM tried a clever ad like that, some consumer safety group would piss and moan and the ad would get pulled.

talismandave
08-11-12, 09:39 PM
They would be doing better if they started with this ad instead of a has been form the 90s driving through "the block".

CIWS
08-11-12, 10:28 PM
The car looks pretty safe, but if you get into a pileup on I-5 in fog at rush hour, well, that bounceback may very well put you in the path of an oncoming Kenworth.

I'm not so sure I want to be in a car listed as "Marginal", and what that doesn't show is what happens if it's hit head on by a vehicle with some real mass like a Tahoe or my X6 (5400lbs).

Here's a Smart4Two that's being slammed by a mid-sized sedan.

http://youtu.be/IIsP8ulBwfg

orconn
08-11-12, 11:37 PM
I might be persuaded by the beautiful Romanian model .... if she went with the car! (Wouldn't even have to threaten to get rough!)

I can see why these Fiats would be popular on Oahu .... although I'll bet not with the local Samoan population!

vincentm
08-11-12, 11:53 PM
They would be doing better if they started with this ad instead of a has been form the 90s driving through "the block".

Lol, so true..

I still like the "does your cadillac return the favor when you turn it on" commercials, great slogan/catch phrase.

orconn
08-11-12, 11:58 PM
^^^ That is the best advertising phrase Cadillac ever came up with ... and the lady wasn't bad either!

dkozloski
08-12-12, 12:15 AM
The double bubble top Abarth Fiats of fifty or so years ago were a hell of a car.

orconn
08-12-12, 01:13 AM
Yeah, they were, Koz, especially if you used one for each foot!

Aron9000
08-12-12, 01:20 AM
I know they aren't selling in Nashville. Haven't seen but maybe one or two in the past year. Then again, people around here HATE small cars, everybody drives some late model full size truck or SUV. Only the broke trailer trash drive small cars, and they are usually some 10+ year old busted up Civic, Neon, or Cavalier. Just saying nobody buys new, small, economy cars around here.

Although attach a premium nameplate to it and it will sell. I see lots of Minis, BMW 3 series, Infiniti G35's, and Lexus ES300's around in this part as far as "smaller" cars go.

orconn
08-12-12, 01:29 AM
Well, hell, the way things are going in the automobile business, maybe Fiat will re-lable it a "Ferrari" and sell the hell out of it in Nashville! Actually it would probably sell pretty well in Barstow too!

ben.gators
08-12-12, 04:24 AM
I might be persuaded by the beautiful Romanian model .... if she went with the car! (Wouldn't even have to threaten to get rough!)

I can see why these Fiats would be popular on Oahu .... although I'll bet not with the local Samoan population!

In that case I would definitely buy the package for $15,500, but will leave the Fiat 500 behind! :D
Most of the 500 drivers are young white or Asian girls, or young couples, again white or Asian!

brandondeleo
08-12-12, 07:22 AM
I am starting to see them more and more often around here. They're all over the freaking place in the Seattle area. Everywhere.

CIWS
08-12-12, 08:43 AM
Well, hell, the way things are going in the automobile business, maybe Fiat will re-lable it a "Ferrari" and sell the hell out of it in Nashville! Actually it would probably sell pretty well in Barstow too!

They call it an Abarth :D

http://youtu.be/ywmtrrFf4xo

orconn
08-12-12, 12:51 PM
^^^ Great idea, Ben! In that case I'll take two!

vincentm
08-12-12, 02:37 PM
I am starting to see them more and more often around here. They're all over the freaking place in the Seattle area. Everywhere.

What ISNT European in Seattle? Lol

CadillacLuke24
08-12-12, 03:12 PM
I'm not so sure I want to be in a car listed as "Marginal", and what that doesn't show is what happens if it's hit head on by a vehicle with some real mass like a Tahoe or my X6 (5400lbs).

Here's a Smart4Two that's being slammed by a mid-sized sedan.

http://youtu.be/IIsP8ulBwfg

It got marginal? So much for looks. I would never drive ANY small car for that reason you just showed in the video. No safety. Before too much longer there will be wrecks where a Fiat or Smart car gets NAILED by a Semi, and the truck drive will be moaning because he needs a new bumper. The driver of the car? DEAD.

gary88
08-13-12, 01:01 PM
To be fair, almost anyone getting nailed by a semi is going to be dead regardless of what they're driving.

bigm57ict
08-13-12, 01:21 PM
It got marginal? So much for looks. I would never drive ANY small car for that reason you just showed in the video. No safety. Before too much longer there will be wrecks where a Fiat or Smart car gets NAILED by a Semi, and the truck drive will be moaning because he needs a new bumper. The driver of the car? DEAD.

Or got arrested for a hit-n-run because he didn't even realize he had hit anything.

brandondeleo
08-14-12, 10:30 PM
To be fair, almost anyone getting nailed by a semi is going to be dead regardless of what they're driving.
I've gotten nailed by a semi at 70mph at a dead stop and I'm not dead!

vincentm
08-14-12, 10:39 PM
I've gotten nailed by a semi at 70mph at a dead stop and I'm not dead!

Not of this planet you must be

brandondeleo
08-14-12, 10:40 PM
Well, I am from Los Angeles...

talismandave
08-15-12, 01:13 AM
Ahhh....the un-dead :devil: