Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2008 CTS4 Brake Job Time

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  99flhr 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

I'm sure there are postings on here for this exact same thing but I couldn't find the answers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am at about 60K on my 08 CTS4 and it's definitely time to have the brakes done. I have a friend at a garage who will do the work for me but he wants me to get the parts on my own. Can someone please give me some suggestions on what replacement parts to get? It is a daily driver but I don't drive aggressively and I use public transit to and from work. I'm probably looking about 1K miles per month now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

#3 ·
Which brakes do you have? JE5 standard, or the J55 heavy duty? New rotors are always a good idea, but if the old ones are in exceptionally good shape they may be OK to have turned. For the type of driving you describe, OE or OE equivalent parts would be just fine. You don't need the higher end aftermarket stuff. But I would steer clear of the cheapest auto parts store stuff as well. The top of the line auto parts store stuff is usually pretty good and so are the OE parts from the dealer.

#6 ·
Sorry , I misread your question.
O.K. for more initial bite and good performance, I `ve had excellent results with Hawk pads. Since you claim not to drive hard, it`s difficult to disagree with "00 ss" when he says O.E. or high end from the large retailers. A quick perusal of gmpartsdirect and Autozone/Advance/O`Reilly etc sites will allow you to compare price. The aftermarket rotors will be Chinese, can`t speak to origin of dealer discs. Not making a call here just an observation
The next part is 100% JMO etc.
"Better" ( more $) pads are generally semi met or ceramic composition, cheaper versions are organic. The better, harder pads provide superior performance at the expense of faster rotor wear. Cheaper pads wear faster but the softer compound is easier on rotors.
" You pays your money and takes your choice"

YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.