: Qwerty keyboard?

Madmax0609
08-10-12, 08:22 AM
Someone please tell me there is a way to switch the navigation keyboard from the stupid way it is layed out over to QWERTY.

I just purchased my 2011 V sedan and I'm loving the power it has. It corners better than my Corvette did too. (Never thought I'd ever say that about a Cadillac)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M5eater
08-10-12, 09:36 AM
No. There's not. Yes. It sucks. Yes. It's a 6 year old navigation system.

Xaqtly
08-10-12, 11:30 AM
And frankly it was a stupid decision 6 years ago too. People have been using a querty layout since the late 1800s, there is no conceivable reason to use an abc layout for an interface that requires entering information like street names.

M5eater
08-10-12, 11:40 AM
It's windows, what do you expect? a usable interface?

LOL.

RippyPartsDept
08-10-12, 12:41 PM
appleTV, XBox and many nav systems still use the ABC (a-z) layout instead of the qwerty layout

who knows why? not me but there's a good discussion on this topic by much more well-informed individuals over here: http://www.quora.com/Interaction-Design/Why-do-on-screen-keyboards-typically-use-ABC-keyboards-vs-QWERTY

RippyPartsDept
08-10-12, 12:46 PM
hmm... i didn't know that quora made you sign up to read all the discussions now
i guess at least you get the best answer without having to sign in

DiamondWhtV
08-10-12, 01:54 PM
My wife's Honda has the qwerty layout...much easier to use.

Why is it that a 25K economy car can have the correct user interface but a 70K luxury car can't?

Cadillac...are ya listening????

FLTRI
08-10-12, 02:31 PM
I have a Garmin Zumo 665 that I use everyday for work. Great little GPS with XM radio, bluetooth and XM Nav Traffic & Weather. Real time satellite weather maps that are just awesome. Garmin regularly updates the firmware, just plug it into to a USB port and download updates for free.

It surprises me that GM can't do the same thing. The USB port is there, sure wish I could update the firmware like I do my little Garmin...

RippyPartsDept
08-10-12, 04:10 PM
all that is coming with the next gen interface (CUE)
you will be able to download updates on a flash drive and update your car from the usb port

pmsteinm
08-10-12, 04:17 PM
And frankly it was a stupid decision 6 years ago too. People have been using a querty layout since the late 1800s, there is no conceivable reason to use an abc layout for an interface that requires entering information like street names.

Because Cadillac's typical customer was born before then. ;)

RippyPartsDept
08-10-12, 04:19 PM
ooooooooooh, burn!

DiamondWhtV
08-10-12, 05:00 PM
At least we know how to spell...considering some of the emails I get from folks that only know how to text.

JFJr
08-10-12, 06:13 PM
Well, I never learned to type correctly, so I could care less about the keyboard layout. I like the 2008 technology of the nav system and find it incredibility useful. Use Google and Mapquest to send destinations to the car. Instead of whining about the technology, learn how to make it your friend. Computers are our slaves but they require patience. If you are impatient you can hope for cryogenic thawing and rebirth milleniums later after you "die"; hopefully, you will get help.

Jud

Hotrod-Realtor
08-10-12, 07:40 PM
I find the ABC format difficult to use. It is one of the very few opportunities that I have, typing on my NAV. Today for example, I pretty much gave up and used the Iphone for maps.
And while we are on the subject, is there any way to disable the "feature" that does not allow you to type on the thing while moving? My Benz allowed typing while driving. It is so aggravating when there are multiple passengers starring at the screen, wishing somebody could enter an address.

simgolfer
08-10-12, 07:43 PM
With the resistive touch screen on the CTS, the keyboard layout is less important to me than the fact I have to push each button with so much force and time lag that it can be very irritating. Hopefully the capacitive screen on the CUE system works better.

hulksdaddy
08-10-12, 11:16 PM
We have NAV?!?!