: Side marker lights(front fender)

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-09-12, 09:12 PM
Anybody know much about these lights?...sometimes my driver's side works correctly, then it may not for a couple of days, and so on...the passenger side I've never seen work...all of the other bulbs are good and I don't get a hyper blink indicating that a bulb is out...any thoughts?

curtc
08-09-12, 09:47 PM
Wiring? Corroded connections? Just throwing it out there.

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-09-12, 11:23 PM
Wiring? Corroded connections? Just throwing it out there.

Could be, I haven't gotten in there with a meter yet

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-13-12, 07:34 AM
Should theses lights only flash with blinker or at night are they on solid until blinker is used?

curtc
08-13-12, 07:40 AM
Blinker only

Ludacrisvp
08-13-12, 08:20 AM
I think they light up solid only when you unlock with button on fob during nighttime if you don't passive unlock. Otherwise yeah blinker only. I did pass by a 05-07 model the other day that was solid on, I assumed either modded to be that way or some type of electrical short.

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-13-12, 08:52 PM
I think they light up solid only when you unlock with button on fob during nighttime if you don't passive unlock. Otherwise yeah blinker only. I did pass by a 05-07 model the other day that was solid on, I assumed either modded to be that way or some type of electrical short.

Just tried that but unfortunately mine are in non working mode tonight, 2 nights ago they were solid and blinking when they were supposed to with fob only in my pocket...lol silly car :)

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-18-12, 08:09 PM
Ok update, now I notice that they are coming on solid during the day with the DRLs have any of y'all ever seen yours during this time of day?

curtc
08-18-12, 11:34 PM
Ok update, now I notice that they are coming on solid during the day with the DRLs have any of y'all ever seen yours during this time of day?

Nope, only time they are on is using blinker or lock/unlock

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-19-12, 02:56 AM
Nope, only time they are on is using blinker or lock/unlock

Ok thank you, must be a module or something

Ludacrisvp
08-19-12, 09:45 AM
Or perhaps it's a 2005 only "feature" to have them on with the DRLs

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-19-12, 11:52 AM
Maybe so Luda

Ludacrisvp
08-22-12, 10:13 PM
I've now seen 2 STS models that have them on. I believe them both to be 2005 models. Perhaps some other 2005 owners could chime in, possibly around your build date even.

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-22-12, 11:07 PM
Lol Luda just yesterday morning I seen the side markers on with my car and another one too(both cars with automatic lights on) so the drls were on solid then later in the day I passed another with drls on and with no side markers on...lol I'll figure this out one day and thank you for helping me too

1BadCadSTS
08-23-12, 02:52 PM
Dads 07 and my 05 have the orange front markers on with auto headlamps on while driving.

DarkMingBlueSTS
08-23-12, 07:57 PM
The side markers on the fenders?

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-12-12, 11:58 AM
Changed them to led today and they work and look great

muzariaz
12-31-12, 08:48 PM
Changed them to led today and they work and look great

how'd you remove them and were they 194 bulbs?

DarkMingBlueSTS
12-31-12, 09:13 PM
how'd you remove them and were they 194 bulbs?

I popped a few of wheel well liner pins out , turned the wheel in one direction, and reached through the opening to the bulbs. Yes they are 194's

muzariaz
12-31-12, 09:35 PM
I popped a few of wheel well liner pins out , turned the wheel in one direction, and reached through the opening to the bulbs. Yes they are 194's

Thanks, any idea on how to remove the interior pieces to convert them to LED's, dont wanna just yank at it

1BadCadSTS
01-01-13, 12:52 AM
Where are you located?

DarkMingBlueSTS
01-01-13, 11:36 AM
Thanks, any idea on how to remove the interior pieces to convert them to LED's, dont wanna just yank at it

I just used a small flat blade screwdriver with light pressure to pop off the clear covers

muzariaz
01-02-13, 01:02 AM
Do they make smoked or clear side makers for the STS? just dont like the orange at all

1BadCadSTS
01-02-13, 01:19 AM
Just tail lamps. Which are long discontinued and very rare.

muzariaz
01-02-13, 01:30 AM
Oh, thanks...

I'm about to put an order in for my HID's at ddmtuning.com, it gives me an option to either get 35Watt or 55Watt... was wondering, the low beam are 9005 and the fogs are H3 Bulbs....which wattage should i get?

2 Bottom of Door when you open - 906 bulb... is that 194 in led?

1BadCadSTS
01-02-13, 01:37 AM
194 correct

Ddmtuning = JUNK!

muzariaz
01-02-13, 01:42 AM
194 correct

Ddmtuning = JUNK!

Where would u recommend getting LED's and an HID kit from?

PontiacV8
01-02-13, 11:33 AM
Do they make smoked or clear side makers for the STS?

Just tail lamps....

btw...as a side note:
...you can get smoked "repeater lamps" (...the little "clear-white" turnsignal on the fender...this is not a "side marker")...

...the original white/clear repeater lamps are GM's 1998 - 2005 Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra G and 99 -05 Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Zafira A parts, which Cadillac used for its 05 -11 Sigma-based Cadillac STSs...(...they are also used on the export Corvette C6...;) )

...and for the Opels here in Europe there are legal smoked repeater lamps available/on the market...;)

...left: Cadillac/Opel OEM and on the right: Opel aftermarket
http://i46.tinypic.com/j79il1.jpg

...installed on my car...:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2uohwsm.jpg

Ludacrisvp
01-02-13, 03:35 PM
^^^ Nice ... how much and where to get? how difficult to swap?

PontiacV8
01-02-13, 04:56 PM
^^^ Nice ... how much and where to get? how difficult to swap?

...well...e.g. Ebay (Europe/Germany)...prices and quality depend on the manufacturer and seller...some parts are very dark tinted, some less, some need a 194NA bulb or amber W5W, some a normal/clear 194/W5W (amber filter in the housing)
...from 10.00 Euros (approx. 13.00 US-$) for a set up to 35.00 Euros (46.00 US-$)...

...swap was easy...plug and play...all you need is a flat-bladed (plastic or wooden) tool or a screwdriver...its only clipped in...

example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370574214871?item=370574214871&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&cmd=ViewItem&hash=item5647f1c6d7&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.de/sch/m.html?_nkw=corvette&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_ipg=25&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=mts-carstyling

1BadCadSTS
01-02-13, 06:22 PM
I assumed he ment the lens in the bumpers that are orange and red. Technically the fender lens are clear with orange bulb. He didn't like the orange lens he said.

ddalder
01-02-13, 10:43 PM
I assumed he ment the lens in the bumpers that are orange and red. Technically the fender lens are clear with orange bulb. He didn't like the orange lens he said.
I thought some of the early cars did have an amber lens, although you're right that as time went on they are definitely clear. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but my lens is clear and the bulb in my socket is also clear (W5W). Outside of the lamp housing, the bulb illuminates the same colour as any 194. There has to be something special about how these clear housings are made. I still need to look into this further.

curtc
01-02-13, 10:56 PM
I thought some of the early cars did have an amber lens, although you're right that as time went on they are definitely clear. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but my lens is clear and the bulb in my socket is also clear (W5W). Outside of the lamp housing, the bulb illuminates the same colour as any 194. There has to be something special about how these clear housings are made. I still need to look into this further.

I would bet that there is an amber colored reflective material inside.

ddalder
01-02-13, 10:58 PM
That's what I was thinking as well, just haven't had time to dig into it yet. Makes sense. Impressive what they can do with optics now.

PontiacV8
01-03-13, 01:15 AM
I would bet that there is an amber colored reflective material inside.

...yes, there is a little orange/amber colored piece/"filter" in the clear housing...

1BadCadSTS
01-03-13, 08:29 AM
Take one apart to find that out?

PontiacV8
01-03-13, 11:18 AM
Take one apart to find that out?

:D ;)
...here you can see the little orange cap/filter inside the housing:

http://i48.tinypic.com/adp1ci.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/ehdds7.jpg

1BadCadSTS
02-16-13, 08:55 AM
Just an update. Got my smoked set up in today and installed. I was surprised to find mine are actually clear lenses with amber bulbs. There is no yellow cap. Must be another US/import difference. Installed the smoked ones I bought with some Silverstar 194s and they look immensely better. I tired LEDs but they didn't defuse the light properly and looked like several white specks.

PontiacV8
02-16-13, 09:38 AM
...Got my smoked set up in today and installed....

I was surprised to find mine are actually clear lenses with amber bulbs. There is no yellow cap. Must be another US/import difference.

....pics...? ;)

...and like I have written in post #30 before...these "aftermarket"-parts depend on manufacturer and seller...some parts are very dark tinted, some less, some need a 194NA bulb or amber W5W, some a normal/clear 194/W5W (amber filter in the housing)

...the original "white" GM parts from my car got a filter (see pics before)
...but maybe there are some early parts without like yours...or they changed the production for "later" parts...who knows...the smoked (aftermarket) parts I got use amber bulbs, too...

...but I don't think it has something to do with US vs. export....the part-# is the same...

1BadCadSTS
02-16-13, 09:40 AM
My take offs were oem GM and they had no yellow filter just an amber bulb.

PontiacV8
02-16-13, 09:54 AM
...edit my text above....sometimes I have to read (and write) the english twice...:) ;)

...where did you get your smoked parts? (and how much did you have to pay?)

1BadCadSTS
02-16-13, 10:10 AM
From car mod shop in the uk. Went over the seal in silicon to make sure no water issues. Fit snug included the rubber gasket to fender seal. Paid 15.83 shipped to the us in USD.

ddalder
02-16-13, 10:13 AM
As I recall, the 2005 model year was different.

1BadCadSTS
02-16-13, 10:35 AM
Mine would be an 05

DarkMingBlueSTS
02-16-13, 11:01 AM

Mine were the same when I changed to led....do the smokes look good and what color is your car bad? I'm thinking about getting smokes too

1BadCadSTS
02-16-13, 03:46 PM
Mine were the same when I changed to led....do the smokes look good and what color is your car bad? I'm thinking about getting smokes too

Mines silver. I like them. Hate orange lamps always have. Swapped to early 4th gen Camaro tail lamps just to get rid of the amber turns on 98+

DarkMingBlueSTS
02-16-13, 05:23 PM
Mines silver. I like them. Hate orange lamps always have. Swapped to early 4th gen Camaro tail lamps just to get rid of the amber turns on 98+

Nice, I think they'll look good on my blue too

sacfam1033
04-02-13, 07:43 PM
I think they are driving lights that primarily function will your vehicle is in drive - throw your e break on put it in drive and hope out and see if they are on.

DarkMingBlueSTS
04-02-13, 09:15 PM
I think they are driving lights that primarily function will your vehicle is in drive - throw your e break on put it in drive and hope out and see if they are on.

Yes you're right but only in the daytime with automatic lights turned on

mckellyb
06-21-13, 10:51 PM
I know this is an older thread, but I just replaced my repeaters with amber LEDs. The passenger's side was out, anyway, and I had five amber LEDs hanging around.

If you want to do this without removing the fender liners, you can change them with a thin plastic item for prying them from the outside.

Beware if you do this, because they are retained in the fender by a plastic push-in clip system. Difficult to understand, but even though I thought I was really careful, using an old health insurance card, and prying delicately from the rear edge, I still broke both retaining clip things on both sides.

I can say the LEDs will do, though they could be brighter. I used some silicone adhesive caulk to stick them back on the fenders. I didn't use much, and did it just on the rear, as I want to be able to get them out again, should I need to.

Now...to find LEDs for the front turn lamps. I do wish the rear amber indicators were more commonly available, and not a dozen fortunes, each.

EChas3
06-21-13, 11:35 PM
Make sure to get good ones with a load resister matched to the OEM application or you'll be another one of those cars with defective fast turn signals.

mckellyb
06-22-13, 06:11 AM
I have a pair of add-on resistors from a decade ago, when LED replacements first came on the scene, but yeah, the stupid hyper-flashing signals...you'd think these idiots would notice something isn't right.

PontiacV8
07-25-13, 10:03 AM
btw...as a side note:
...you can get smoked "repeater lamps" (...the little "clear-white" turnsignal on the fender...this is not a "side marker")...

...the original white/clear repeater lamps are GM's 1998 - 2005 Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Astra G and 99 -05 Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Zafira A parts, which Cadillac used for its 05 -11 Sigma-based Cadillac STSs...(...they are also used on the export Corvette C6...;) )

...and for the Opels here in Europe there are legal smoked repeater lamps available/on the market...;)

...installed on my car...:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2uohwsm.jpg

...ok...another test/update/change or mod/upgrade to my car...I changed my fender turnsignal repeater lamps once again...:D ;)
...this time from the smoked conventional bulb-equipped ( Opel-aftermarket) ones to a new (chromed-clear) LED-version...(btw...they don't need a load resistor or something like that....) :)
(they are available in three different "layouts"...)

http://i39.tinypic.com/scfc4n.jpg
turnsignal on (camera sucks...;) )
http://i41.tinypic.com/2rp8vmf.jpg
side view
http://i42.tinypic.com/2wnwghj.jpg

mckellyb
07-25-13, 10:51 AM
Where'd you get the new ones?

I put LED bulbs in my repeaters, but they're kinda meh.

1BadCadSTS
07-25-13, 11:01 AM
You mean the aftermarket tinted ones? eBay. They are not led.

Ludacrisvp
07-25-13, 12:00 PM
new (chromed-clear) LED-version
http://i39.tinypic.com/scfc4n.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2rp8vmf.jpg

Where did you get these from?
What make & model car are they "made for"? Opel Astra G?

1BadCadSTS
07-25-13, 12:03 PM
I stand corrected I didn't see the new photos.

Damn you I followed you once with the smoked ones looks like ill have to again. But ill be opening them up and changing the smds to white. Damn amber messing things up!

Ludacrisvp
07-25-13, 12:10 PM
But ill be opening them up and changing the smds to white. Damn amber messing things up!

Lol ... you and your anti-amberness
do you still have amber front signals / DRLs?

1BadCadSTS
07-25-13, 12:43 PM
I shut the drls off. Since pen dot requires amber front indicators I can't change those but they are only on when turning.

Idk what it is love orange on my women's lingerie but can't stand it as a lamp on a car especially silver. Hahahahha

targetSTS
07-25-13, 01:11 PM
there is another option: clear non-led light. It almost the same as stock lights but have clear lens.
http://savepic.org/4179832.jpg

Ludacrisvp
07-25-13, 01:45 PM
can't stand it as a lamp on a car especially silver. Hahahahha
lol so what you mean to say is that your car is the wrong color and therefore you must eliminate Amber as much as you can. :p

1BadCadSTS
07-25-13, 02:26 PM
Hahahah. I wanted thunder gray could not find a 1sg wih black interior in that color.

I'm far to anal to ever own a black car

I love crimson pearl but same issue no 1sg in black.

Hate sandstone and white.

The mint green I have mixed feelings about.

Dark gray I couldn't find either on an sts only srx.

I REALLY wish they made the STS in the 08 CTS hot lava color but alas can't have it all.

1BadCadSTS
07-25-13, 05:06 PM
Here they are

chrome

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-MK4-G-98-04-LED-SMOKED-CHROME-SIDE-REPEATERS-INDICATORS-BLINKERS-/300935590205?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461128b13d&vxp=mtr

blacked out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-MK4-G-98-04-Black-With-Chrome-Led-Side-Repeaters-Indicators-Blink-/300923235773?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46106c2dbd&vxp=mtr

Ludacrisvp
07-25-13, 08:39 PM
Wow that is some shipping time...
Estimated between Mon. Aug. 26 and Tue. Sep. 10

1BadCadSTS
07-25-13, 09:04 PM
Coming from over seas. Damn customs. Haha

Ludacrisvp
07-25-13, 09:38 PM
You order some already?

Edit:
I just ordered a set of these ones as I figure they match the best with the lightly smoked Euro tails:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-MK4-G-98-04-LED-SMOKED-CHROME-SIDE-REPEATERS-INDICATORS-BLINKERS-/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/zBkAAOxyLchRucaP/$T2eC16d,!yEE9s5jGL(4BRuc,PZ)Vw~~60_12.JPG

1BadCadSTS
07-25-13, 09:49 PM
Negative. Rocking smoked versions with 194s with white 20 LEDs.

I'll let you be the US pioneer this time. Post up pics of them when you get them. Gotta see if I can take them apart.

PontiacV8
07-26-13, 04:04 AM
Where'd you get the new ones?

Where did you get these from?
What make & model car are they "made for"? Opel Astra G?

...I see 1BadCadSTS already found out and you ordered... ;)

...yes, they are on and from ebay (.de or .uk) ...and are made for the Opel/Vauxhall Astra G...

...btw., as I said before....they are available in three different layouts...:
...the clear-chromed I got now...the lightly smoked ones you ordered...and a clear black & chromed mix...

Damn you I followed you once with the smoked ones looks like ill have to again....

...lolol... ;) :D ...you're welcome...;) :)

there is another option: clear non-led light. It almost the same as stock lights but have clear lens.
http://savepic.org/4179832.jpg

...yes those china-market 06 - 08 "Cadillac SLS" (conventional bulb-equipped) repeaters are very nice, too...I like them...(and they are also different to the "normal" STS style...)

Ludacrisvp
07-26-13, 11:47 AM
I'll let you be the US pioneer this time. Post up pics of them when you get them. Gotta see if I can take them apart.
Sounds like a plan, they were marked 'shipped' in eBay last night / this morning so I guess we shall see how long the shipment really takes.

jkharnage
07-29-13, 12:34 PM
Are both of these LED side indicators a plug in item to the existing OEM wire connectors?

Ludacrisvp
07-29-13, 12:49 PM
Are both of these LED side indicators a plug in item to the existing OEM wire connectors?
I hope so, perhaps PontiacV8 will confirm for us.

PontiacV8
07-29-13, 02:43 PM
I hope so, perhaps PontiacV8 will confirm for us.

...the led-repeater/side indicators connector/plug has to be plugged into the original repeater bulb-socket (instead of the 194/W5W bulb)...and...take notice to the polarity...it's LED!

...lamp:
http://i44.tinypic.com/33jpimb.jpg

...connected to socket...:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2urnyht.jpg

Ludacrisvp
07-29-13, 03:16 PM
Hmm looks like plug in then wrap with electrical tape.

Sent from my One

Ludacrisvp
08-01-13, 06:13 PM
They arrived today in the mail.
I tried both polarity configurations and they seemed to work regardless of the way they were plugged in.
Which does seem odd for LEDs...

They arrived individually wrapped in a bubble wrap pouch, no protective film on them.
There is a screw in the backing of it (didn't remove it) not sure if they would come apart or not but I would expect that the screw isn't there for decoration.

While they do seal up nicely like the OEM lamps do they go too deep into the fender well area and you are unable to push them in all the way without breaking something.
So I had to wrap them up with electrical tape to seal out the elements.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2820/9419156752_0953df0913_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7295/9416390629_4d3f6021aa_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7406/9416389225_4c489c1e7a_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3698/9416388461_4925a58141_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7407/9419152330_6e49c417c4_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7438/9419150412_134e3667a2_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7390/9419151032_27f0d37909_o.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSqhtHAGwlQ

PontiacV8
08-13-13, 07:36 AM
I tried both polarity configurations and they seemed to work regardless of the way they were plugged in.
Which does seem odd for LEDs...

...ah, ok....yes, that's odd....but I didn't try...:) (...after my first LED experience with the SLS reverse lamps...cause they depend on polarity, IIRC...;) :D )

While they do seal up nicely like the OEM lamps do they go too deep into the fender well area and you are unable to push them in all the way without breaking something.
So I had to wrap them up with electrical tape to seal out the elements.

...yes...sorry, forgot to mention...:(
...it's possible to connect the original bulb socket (in)to the lamps "shaft"...
...but with this "configuration" -if you join the bayonet-type lamp socket to the lamp housing directly- they go a little to deep for our cars...the "shaft" is a little to long, about half an inch more than the original repeater lamp shaft...
I just connected the plug to the socket and mounted the housing to the fender, with a "loose" socket...and doesn't seal anything up in the first (...it was dry in fender well area and the plug sits firm into the socket...no problems)
...but after a while I decided to be sure and sealed the connection, too...with a little grey and black automotive sealant/butyl tape...;)
http://i40.tinypic.com/9k2j2x.jpg

Guy.Seminerio
04-02-14, 12:46 PM
Here they are

chrome

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-MK4-G-98-04-LED-SMOKED-CHROME-SIDE-REPEATERS-INDICATORS-BLINKERS-/300935590205?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461128b13d&vxp=mtr

blacked out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-MK4-G-98-04-Black-With-Chrome-Led-Side-Repeaters-Indicators-Blink-/300923235773?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46106c2dbd&vxp=mtr

Luda, which one of those did you get. Hard to tell in the video and pics.

Ludacrisvp
04-02-14, 12:49 PM
Luda, which one of those did you get. Hard to tell in the video and pics.

I got the "chrome" version. It's chrome inside with a smoked lens. So the first link.

Guy.Seminerio
04-02-14, 01:08 PM
I know you posted a larger image of your profile pic recently but I can't find it. Can you put it up here so I can see how it looks from a distance in the daytime? Thanks.

Ludacrisvp
04-03-14, 10:10 AM
I know you posted a larger image of your profile pic recently but I can't find it. Can you put it up here so I can see how it looks from a distance in the daytime? Thanks.

It's in the show is your STS thread around post 800. However those are the stock ones in that photo.
I think there might be some pics somewhere on here but I'm in Texas this week so I don't have access to my car.

Guy.Seminerio
04-03-14, 12:05 PM
Ah alright. Can I bother you to snap a pic when you get back?

scott9001
04-04-14, 07:21 PM
my 05 the fender markers are only on during signal if I remember correctly haven't drove the car in about 7 months tho

Guy.Seminerio
04-04-14, 10:28 PM
Yep. And I believe if you unlock the car at night or in a garage or open the trunk at night or in a garage using the key fob.

Ludacrisvp
04-04-14, 10:53 PM
I've seen multiple of the 05-07 style driving around in the daytime with front DRLs on plus solid lit fender repeaters.

Guy.Seminerio
04-05-14, 12:08 AM
Luda do the repeaters on your car look like the ones in the first couple of pics on this page?

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php/447707-Wheel-Gallery/page13

PontiacV8
04-05-14, 12:30 AM
...there is a couple of pics about the repeaters in this thread... original, aftermarket and led aftermarket ;)
...and as I said before....the "original" sigma-STS repeaters are Opel parts by original....they were introduced/invented for the 98 Opel Astra G and its Vauxhall and Holden twin....

...the light smoked led repeaters will not look as "dark" as the pictured dark/black smoked bulb equipped conventional parts on that Astras in that link/forum...

Ludacrisvp
04-05-14, 12:37 AM
Luda do the repeaters on your car look like the ones in the first couple of pics on this page?

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php/447707-Wheel-Gallery/page13

Nope those are the smoked version of the stock filament version.

PontiacV8
04-05-14, 01:05 AM
yes...
...I've got (and tested) a set of the original "white" repeaters, a set of dark colored conventional repeaters, a set of light smoked conventional repeaters, a set light smoked/chromed led repeaters (Luda has) and also a set of clear/chromed led repeaters for my black STS...the dark-colored bulb equipped conventional style repeaters were/are the "darkest"...:)

...btw...the stock filament version is also available as an original opel orange/amber colored part (no one likes) ;)
...and there are many kinds of clear or clear smoked aftermarket parts...and also available in an ugly blue, green, yellow, light red...:D

Guy.Seminerio
04-05-14, 01:55 AM
I'm actually trying to decide between one of the two led ones in the links above. I'm really trying to narrow down which has the most stock and clean appearance. I'm starting to lean towards the one Luda has on his car.

----------

When I say stock I mean I don't want it to look obviously aftermarket like this

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mytightride/titantailsBig2.jpg

PontiacV8
04-05-14, 01:59 AM
...ouch...:D

Guy.Seminerio
04-05-14, 02:01 AM
Yeah I'm banking on that truck not belonging to anyone that will ever see this haha. Never said it looked bad.. Just obviously aftermarket. But yeah not a fan.

Ludacrisvp
04-06-14, 10:36 PM
@Guy

http://pics.campl.us/f/1/15567.00ab10cd6685aabaa73ce1ff60f0e8b4.jpg

http://pics.campl.us/f/1/15567.756a3c0f6f59bc28b19a35c0a652d068.jpg

Guy.Seminerio
04-07-14, 01:22 AM
Thanks! Not as tinted as I thought it would be. Looks good though. I might just give the other ones a go. Thanks man.

----------

Now I have to figure out some led amber DRLs. I know some amber LEDs tend to be dim compared to the stock bulbs so it has to be a nice strong amber. And I know I'm going to have to get resistors to prevent the hyper flash for those. Any ideas of kits or setups for this?

My 04 DTS had the turn signals in the mirrors so from the back, you had the led tails right in sync with the led mirror signals. They both "cut" on and off right in line with each other. Whereas I've seen some suburbans for example with the same mirror led signal, but with non led tails so you had the mirrors "cut" on and off versus the blinkers in the tails "glow" on and off, so it didn't look as nice. I want to avoid that so it's time to go led on the DRL/signals.

Ludacrisvp
04-07-14, 09:17 AM
Yeah they aren't very dark...
Which is just like the Euro Tails, they have a very light smoke to them.

I too would like to change the front DRLs to amber LEDs but I haven't been able to decide what ones to get either.
(I upgraded my 02 DTS to have 09 DTS signal mirrors (as they were the best price/availability) and had a little better shape to them I agree that having LEDs mixed with Filament lamps is annoying when they can be seen inline with each other)
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8264/8603580931_7e9ddde786_o.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8603580915_86b92809bc_o.jpg

Guy.Seminerio
04-07-14, 09:44 AM
Yeah they aren't very dark...
Which is just like the Euro Tails, they have a very light smoke to them.

Makes sense.

(I upgraded my 02 DTS to have 09 DTS signal mirrors (as they were the best price/availability) and had a little better shape to them I agree that having LEDs mixed with Filament lamps is annoying when they can be seen inline with each other)
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8264/8603580931_7e9ddde786_o.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8603580915_86b92809bc_o.jpg

Yep I recall seeing these.

I'll do a little research on the amber LEDs when I get a chance.

----------

I wonder if 1bad has any tips on the amber LEDs what with him being such a connoisseur and an enthusiast of amber automotive lighting.

PontiacV8
04-07-14, 11:35 AM
I upgraded my 02 DTS to have 09 DTS signal mirrors...

...nice car....:)

...a little offtopic, but...do you know the DTS export tail lamps with amber turnsignal...? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXkA-YUp3k8

http://i59.tinypic.com/qzq5i0.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/2dkjnn7.jpg

Guy.Seminerio
04-07-14, 12:31 PM
Cool. Not a huge fan of the tails. That might be one of the coolest videos I've ever seen though.

Ludacrisvp
04-07-14, 01:00 PM
That video was pretty nice. Massive fleet of Devilles escorting someone from the USA it would seem. The exterior mirrors are also modified from the domestic version as it seems there might be signals in the housing on the front side of them. The car taking the video has night vision (you can see the bulge for the HUD in the dash. Some of the Devilles have export tails some don't in that video. At one time I had a video of the amber Deville signals in action not sure where it is now though.

Guy.Seminerio
04-07-14, 09:28 PM
I was wondering what that bulge was. Never actually saw the night vision in person. So it projects onto the windshield?

I did a lot of research on the forums and it turns out I'm going to have to do a trial and error thing with this. And in the end it may not be doable. Anyway, precisionLED is where I got my interior LEDs so I'm going to give them the first chance. More to follow.

Ludacrisvp
04-07-14, 09:29 PM
Yeah the goal was to project it on the windshield so that it would be close to being inline with the road.

Guy.Seminerio
04-07-14, 09:59 PM
Cool. I just watched some demonstrations of it on youtube. Jeez. I love how they're first to the plate with this and they never revisit it. Oh well.

Anyway, precisionLED doesn't have anything. I just sent an email to autolumination.

Ludacrisvp
04-08-14, 04:12 PM
Cool. I just watched some demonstrations of it on youtube. Jeez. I love how they're first to the plate with this and they never revisit it. Oh well.

Anyway, precisionLED doesn't have anything. I just sent an email to autolumination.

Yeah it's unfortunate ... They should have included it in a package and not as like a $5k stand alone option... It would have likely seen better adoption and maybe it would be in current generation caddys with some improvements. It was a great 1st generation attempt; a second revision would have likely been amazing.

1BadCadSTS
04-08-14, 04:31 PM
Yup. Last model Caddy it was implemented on was the STSis (supposedly but never actually seen)...

Wouldnt be that hard to modify and STS HUD with a Deville HUD and add it.

Guy.Seminerio
04-08-14, 06:54 PM
I'm not very good with wiring. I emailed autolumination and here is the response I got:

Hi-

The DRL is a 3157 bulb.

You can make this operate as a running light/turn signal, but you have to reroute the wires so that the light connects to the running light circuit and turn signal circuit.

Also, the existing running light circuit may switch from low to high when the lights are switched on, so that issue would need to be addressed. You can use only one side of the running light circuit so that the led only comes on when the lights are either on, or off. Then use the other circuit of the 3157 bulb for the turn signal function.

Our leds are warranted for 30 days. A 60 day warranty can be purchase here:
http://www.autolumination.com/policy_warrantee.htm

Your present DRL is using the two circuits for the 3157 bulb. I think it may switch on the large (bright) filament when the lights are off (daytime) and switch on the dim circuit when the lights are on (nightime).

You new set up could use the dim circuit for turn signals or for running lights and vice versa depending on how you decide to wire it.

The 80 watt leds will be brighter than the glass bulbs, but the comparison is like this:

Led bright circuit = Brighter than glass filament bulb bright circuit.
Led dim circuit = Brighter than glass filament bulb dim circuit.

The led dim circuit is not going to be brighter than the glass bulb bright circuit, so if you have it wired opposite it may appear dimmer than the glass bulb because you are using the dim circuit of the led and comparing that to the bright circuit of the glass bulbs.

End of email.

So what exactly is this wiring going to involve. Anyone know?

----------

This was my reply:

You are correct in saying that the current light works as a running light and turn signal. When the DRLs are on, they're at the dimmer setting. When you signal, they go between dim and bright. So knowing this, would any additional wiring be required?

Guy.Seminerio
04-09-14, 12:23 PM
Ok so I was thinking it over and correct me if I'm wrong but I misinformed that guy.

It's not a dual filament bulb. It's on or off. That's it. If the DRLs are on and you signal, it goes off-on-off-on. If the DRLs are off and you signal, it's on-off-on-off. It's either on or off and at no time is is brighter than any other time. Right?

Ludacrisvp
04-09-14, 03:02 PM
Well it is actually a dual filament lamp. However, the plug only has two wires so we only use the high power filament in the lamp and the low power one is never used (since there aren't wires going to it).
So its on or off with no dimming but we still have dual filament lamps.

Maybe this post will help:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sls-forum-china/265688-photos-sls-elite-administrative-comfort-luxury.html#post3385537
(post number 17)

Guy.Seminerio
04-09-14, 03:17 PM
So if we were to swap the dual filament bulb with a single filament one, everything would operate flawlessly?

Ludacrisvp
04-09-14, 03:46 PM
Yeah it should as long as the single filament version had the metal contact in the same place as the high power filament does.

Guy.Seminerio
04-10-14, 09:33 PM
I purchased the vauxhall fender repeaters. The black ones. And after a bunch of emails back and forth with Tracy at autolumination, I purchased a pair of 80 watt amber leds and 100 watt, 6 ohm load resistors.

Tracy was very patient with me and happy to answer questions so that says something to their service. I was happy to make a purchase after dealing with the exemplary service. I'll keep you posted on how it ends up going.

On another note, I've never installed load resistors so I guess I'll be hitting up youtube.

More to follow.

Ludacrisvp
04-10-14, 11:43 PM
80 watt seems a bit excessive.... I think the standard lamps are only like 27 watts. How many lumens or candles is the output rated at?

Guy.Seminerio
04-11-14, 12:34 AM
Don't know but I asked if I was possibly sacrificing longevity by going with the 80 versus say the 50 and the answer was a simple no.

He also mentioned this:

The 80 watt bulbs do not use 80 watts. That is the combined rated wattage
of all the leds used in making that bulb. At 12 volts, they use closer to
8 watts than 80.

So that might answer that question.

----------

As far as light output, I'll find out.

Guy.Seminerio
04-11-14, 12:08 PM
The 80 watt is 800 lumens and the 50 watt is 600 lumens.

Knowing how bright 800 lumens is.. might that be too bright? I wonder what the output of the stock bulbs is. Anyway, I'm the guinea pig so I'll let you know how it goes.