: The latest on E85 in California

Luna.
08-09-12, 07:31 PM
or, Southern California to be specific.

Does anyone know what the latest is?

I left off with a federal grant to build something like 55 new E85 stations back in ~2010, but the funds were rejected because some group of jagoffs decided it wasn't environmentally as preferred as they otherwise would want it to be.

At the moment, I search for E85 stations and I don't find a ton, especially in the Ventura/Los Angeles/Orange County areas.

Thoughts?

Karch
08-09-12, 09:46 PM
I believe they sell E85 at San Vicente and Barrington:

http://www.pearsonfuels.com/e85/stations/los.htm

Luna.
08-09-12, 10:06 PM
I believe they sell E85 at San Vicente and Barrington:

http://www.pearsonfuels.com/e85/stations/los.htm

Exactly. There doesn't seem to be many in So Cal at the moment. Friggin Sacramento has like 6 or so in that city alone, but I'm not finding many at all in the Ventura/LA/OC counties.

CARB remains a bunch of clueless a-holes... /sigh

V locity
08-09-12, 11:15 PM
WTF happened to Cali!

Havasusteve
08-10-12, 01:28 AM
Garey & Foothill in Pomona; my district, 1 mile from work :)

wcryan
08-10-12, 02:03 AM
There is 1 I saw in Carlsbad CA

Karch
08-10-12, 02:42 PM
Personally, I hate the entire idea of using subsidized corn for fuel, but that's another subject.

Luna.
08-10-12, 08:35 PM
Garey & Foothill in Pomona; my district, 1 mile from work :)

There is 1 I saw in Carlsbad CA

I did a fairly exhaustive search and have tracked down, what I believe to be, each and every E85 station in So Cal (hell, all of CA for that matter). I maintain it's fairly tough to make a Vegas run, as there are NO E85 stations anywhere on the 15 north of the 210 freeway until you actually get to Vegas. Since the closest place to fill up is probably Arcadia (going West to East to get to the 15), that's not that great when trying to get to Vegas on a tank of gas, especially since E85 doesn't generate the same MPG as regular gasoline does... /duh

WTF happened to Cali!

So Cal? Great question...

Like I said, it appears these morons from CARB opted to NOT accept Federal funds to build ~55 stations because they deemed it, all on their own, not in California's best interest from a smog perspective. I wish someone who was really knowledgeable could talk a little though, as my understanding is limited...

S2TPerformance
08-11-12, 05:17 PM
^^^^^
You're right. There are simply not enough E85 gas stations in SoCal, or near SoCal to make it work.

I've played with the idea of running E85 a lot since one of the the few E85 gas stations in SoCal is less than a mile away from my office in Ventura. But, with so few stations, it doesn't make any sense to use it because you get about 1/3 less MPG, none of the local race tracks offer it and I'm not going to carry E85 with me, or keep a large amount of E85 stored in my garage at home.

I've made the decision to stick with Water/Meth injection for my high-octane needs.