Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Are the Bose 40GB Radios on Back Order?

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Panzer Leader 
#1 ·
Well its been 2 weeks without a radio, was told today that the radios are on back order. Katie is this correct? My guess......the dealership diagnosed the problem but forgot to order the radio. Why do I think so? Because, they told me it will arrive in a week. Exactly what they told me 2 weeks ago.

#5 ·
Thanks for the offers to help but I do not know the p/n they ordered. It is the whole unit from what I have been told. Its the CD player that is inoperable. The good thing is that it has forced me to start downloading my CDs to a 64GB Flash Player. After which, no more CDs in the car for me. I wrote down the NAVIGATION and Gracenote software versions currently on the unit. Both are 2011 vintage. Maybe the new unit will already have the 2012 versions installed. I will check before I leave the dealer. In fact, when I bring the car in, I will want them to make sure it is at least the 2011 versions. Thanks again.

#7 · (Edited)
Panzer.. GM will provide an entire replacement nav radio unit for your car, but be aware the warranty component will likely be a refurbished /unit exchange item that will save GM some costs. GM Tech/Warranty will have told your dealer which part number warranty component to order for your vehicle based on your VIN. Hopefully the unit that's provided will have the latest (2012) software on board, but who knows? Be sure you get at least the software versions your current nav radio unit already has.

#14 ·
^ Panzer Leader.. regarding folders, music types, etc. I recommend you consult the Navigation/Infotainment System manual for your CTS. Some of the basic guidelines provided in the manual for the creation of an MP3 CD or DVD are also applicable to music stored on a USB flash drive. Below are the guidelines for creating an MP3 CD or DVD.

• Sampling rate: 8 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz, 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, and 48 kHz.
  • Bit rates supported: 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 144, 160, 192, 224, 256, and 320 kbps.
  • ID3 tag information is displayed by the radio if it is available. The radio will display a filename, song name, artist name, album name, and directory name.
  • Maximum number of folders is 255 with a maximum hierarchy of eight folders.
  • Create a folder structure that makes it easy to find songs while driving. Each folder or album should contain 18 songs or less.
  • It is recommended that there is a maximum of 1024 files on a disc.
  • The files can be recorded on a CD-R or CD-RW with a maximum capacity of 700 MB.

When playing an MP3 CD or DVD use the Music Navigator to specify the "category" of music you want the system to use. The categories are:
  • All Songs
  • Folder
  • Artist
  • Album
  • Genre

When using AUX as the media source and accessing the music stored on your USB flash drive.. on specifying "Genre" in the Music Navigator you should be able to drill down to the specific music type you wish to listen to. You may consider copying entire albums (featuring just one artist) to your flash drive rather than random folders having multiple artists. That's what I do and I'm happy with the result. I'm sure you'll want to experiment to achieve the desired result. Good luck. :)

#16 ·
Panzer Leader said:
Hey thanks for the info. At this point loading all my CDs to my external had drive, from there to the USB , but want to oeganize it into subfolders. Yes, I am copying entire albums.
@ RAB - Wow, that's a nice piece of info there! It's nice to see you around here more often again!

I just made folders of the album names for the CDs I had and genres for the huge mess:) It can easily be done but i wouldn't create a folder inside another just to be on the safe side. (the song lists do load faster this way too)

#19 ·
Wel finished ripping my CDS to the external harddrive, now on to the USB, I am set up this way: PRIME FILE =MUSIC. Inside of MUSIC I created about seven subfolders by GENERE' inside each GENERE folders , I have folders by album, or if multiple albums by same group/artist they have there own. This should work I guess? By my calculations I have only gone down a total of four (4) folders, icluding the prime folder.

#20 ·
Well, the USB Drive is working out OK but not fully what I expected, and then I read this:

Hard Drive Device (HDD)
To use the HDD, tracks must be
recorded from a CD, MP3 Disc,
or USB device first.

Which means all the other features on the music info might or will not be available. However, I am quite happy with the way its working now. I am not about to transfer anything from the USB to the HDD. Especially, if you have to do it one album at a time. Too bad you cannot transfer the data in mass from the USB to the HDD.

#21 · (Edited)
^ Panzer, as info.. I rarely listen to music on my USB flashdrive given that I have a couple of thousand songs recorded to my HDD.
The other features you speak of should be available when you play songs residing on your USB flashdrive ('AUX' media source activated), assuming artist/song/album/genre, etc. music file attribute info is present and accounted for on the songs/albums you've placed on your flashdrive.
Transferring .mp3 music files from a USB flashdrive to the HDD actually occurs quite quickly - much quicker than recording music to the HDD directly from a store-bought CD. Yes, it takes a bit of time to transfer music files from a USB flashdrive to the HDD, but IMO it's worth the time & effort. :)

#22 ·
OK, it was my impression that loading any music to the HDD from the USB was like going from a CD to the HDD. The whole song had to play through to record it. At least, that is my impression from the "manual." So far its doing well. Artist Name and Album are listing. 99% of the music on the USB was ripped from commercial CDs not home copied. As such, it is not reading the genere on a lot of the music. I will continue to play with it. It is all a learning curve. RAB, hope all is well with your car. Thanks again. Panzer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.