: Don't spec the manual? Whaaat?

EmDeeAr
08-09-12, 11:12 AM
Hey all,

So I was reading the Top Gear article on ATS, but they said NOT to go for the manual transmission. I'm wondering why this is. The article just said not to option it, but that's it. There was no other information given.

My issue is that if the manual in this car is really that bad, then I will not even consider it. A manual transmission is a must for me.

Can any of you guys shed some light on this? I really like this car, and I pretty much have my heart set on it. But, this transmisson thing......

Thanks for the replies in advance.

-Michael

HansK
08-09-12, 11:30 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/264819-driving-ats-tomorrow-post-questions-pic.html

Cadillac Tony did a write up on his time in the 2.0T (complete with video) and I don't recall anything negative about the MT. I didn't want to reread the entire thread, but I'm sure you'll find some decent info there.

EmDeeAr
08-09-12, 11:36 AM
Nice, thanks for the reply.

See, one article I read said (paraphrasing) "Cadillac obviously spent a lot of time working out the launch and clutch feel. The starts are effortless and the clutch is easy to modulate".

I'll read the article you posted ASAP.

HansK
08-09-12, 12:08 PM
I would ignore advice w/ no reasoning behind it, I can only assume that the problem with it is minor since they didn't feel the need to expound on it.

The only 'sporty' car I have driven that I would never get a MT on is a mini and that is because I had to lean forward to reach the stick in it which made for a poor driving experience.

thebigjimsho
08-09-12, 12:14 PM
Top Gear has become quite fond of the flappy paddle gearboxes...

JimmyH
08-12-12, 07:58 PM
I would ignore any advice at all from Top Gear.

It's a tremec. They rarely make a bad transmission. If the shifter isn't great, there will be aftermarket solutions for that.

thebigjimsho
08-14-12, 08:25 AM
I would ignore Jimmeh.

JimmyH
08-14-12, 03:10 PM
You should. But you don't. You can't help it. I am full of awesome and you know it. Plus I am cuddly.

thebigjimsho
08-15-12, 10:50 AM
I just popped a zit.