Cadillac Owners Forum banner

In your opinions......

7K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  cooch2584 
#1 ·
Whats the best motor oil to use in the Northstar?

#3 ·
I am partial to Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 5W-30 and WIX filters. (Pennzoil, Shell, and Quaker State are all the same company - SOPUS - Shell Oil Products U.S.) If you really want to use the cat's meow, take a look at AMSOIL and talk to C66Racing, a CF member and AMSOIL dealer - up ^^^ in Vendors forum.

If you'll read your owner's manual, there is a page or two on oil, use, temperatures, and viscosity. I would assume that the company that designed and built the engine would have some idea of what's best for it.

Over my driving years I have used oils made by Kendall, Castrol, Quaker State, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Sinclair, others - and have never had an engine failure that could in any way have been attributed to the oil type in the engine.

Oil and tires are like whiskey, women, and guns: Everyone has their favorite and no one else will change their mind.

#11 ·
If you really want to use the cat's meow, take a look at AMSOIL and talk to C66Racing, a CF member and AMSOIL dealer - up ^^^ in Vendors forum.
Thanks for the mention!

For the OP, probably will get as many answers to this and there are oils. If you opt for the AMSOIL, more than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested. :cheers:

#5 ·
I use Mobil 1, but I have no idea if that's the best or not.

#9 ·
I have used multiple types of oils for different vehicles over the past several driving years; i.e. ranging from 10W40 to 10W30 to 5W30 to synthetic oils. I have also used 5W20 Pennzoil oil in one of my daughter’s 2010 vehicle. All oils work fine as long as they are recommended by the car manufacturers and certified by the American Petroleum Institute. I have always changed the oil every ~5,000 miles. I have never had an engine failure even driving my old 1975 Monte Carlo little over 210,000 miles. In addition to my Caddy & 2006 LS430, I am also the proud owner of 1997 Ford Taurus with over 106,000 miles. I have heard a lot about Mobil-1 but I haven’t used it in any of my previous or current vehicles so far. I have literally followed the Maintenance Schedule provided in the owner’s Manuals.

#10 ·
Bottom line: The best motor oil for your engine is the slippery kind that you pour into the oil fill hole and it runs down into the oil pan. THAT's the stuff to use. Even better is the type that you have to clean up with paint thinner or gasoline when you spill it on the engine. Better yet is the type recommended in the owner's manual (but GM/Cadillac might be wrong...........)

Reactions: ffrog
#15 ·
Thank you for your sarcastic remark. Was just asking for opinions. Why so testy with the remark? Above remark was meant for submariner409. Thank you all others for your input.
Did you bother to read Post #3, as well as the others of a similar vein ?

You might also want to go up ^^^ in the top black bar and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive - there are articles in there on oil use and the use of the OLM.

............. I was dead serious about reading the owner's manual, and not only for info on what types and viscosities of oil to use.

#14 ·
if you had searched the forum for information regarding oil and peoples opinions on which oil to use then you would understand ... you're not the first to start a thread about 'what kind of oil to use' and these threads get a bit boring after five or six years and a bit of humor makes them more bearable

#16 ·
Most oils do a fine job. It's really whatever works for you. And oils change over time, so what worked for grampa may not be so good today. IMHO, thirty years ago, Havoline was nasty stuff. It even looked nasty. I could open the hood on a hot engine and tell by the smell if it had Havoline in it. Well, the Havoline brand was bought by Chevron. The Havoline bottle now contains good old Chevron Supreme. I guess most people know the Pennzoil and Quaker State brands are now owned by Shell. Pennz and Quaker sell some very good oil, so you really have to do the homework.

I recommend people go to the Petroleum Quality Institute website and look at their oil tests. Lots of good info. The major brands all tend to be of very high quality, but there are a few no-name stinkers that crop up. Go here:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/

#18 ·
As the result of various operating agreements between the dwindling number of refiners there are any number of products that are now one source, repackaged, and sold under a plethora of brands including lubricating oil. There is no way of telling by looking at the container where almost any petroleum product may have come from and who might have produced it. The only difference between the brands is the hype.

#21 ·
Don't go get all huffy...
You were joked with a lot more than being chastised...

What they kinda meant was... that question has been debated back and forth for years.
Using the search function and searching for other threads about oil....would have given you stuff to read for a week.

Texas Jim

#23 ·
Understand that...
The 2006 came with DINO oil... but the later ones came with Synthetic...
I now use synthetic in my 2006... have used it since about 10,000 or 12,000 miles... now has 122,000 on it and uses NO OIL at all.

My opinion.. as long as you stay with a NAME BRAND oil, you really can't go very wrong.
All modern oils are so much better than they used to be.

What actual "BRAND" you use is (I think) just a personal preference.

Texas Jim

#24 · (Edited)
so you don't have the time or energy to go searching? but we should have the time and energy to answer this really really really common question for the 1000th time?

plus there's way more info and opinions already posted in those other threads due to the sheer accumulation of them

and on top of all that you could have searched for it in about 15 seconds ... and the only time or energy you would have to expend would be in reading through them all, which you have to do in this thread

watch: http://bit.ly/P0lS9K

i'm not trying to be mean or cold or hostile ... read those threads and you'll see mean, cold and hostile

i'm trying to be helpful - the truth is that you will get way more opinions searching out the ones already offered over the years than you will get in the handful that reply to this thread

#28 ·
... to answer this really really really common question for the 1000th time?
But it gives me something to do every evening. :histeric:

Cooch - I understand your frustration, but I'd try not to take it personally or let it get to you. I'm on a lot of forums and both the topic of "which oil is better" really is brought up many times per week (which really does give me something to do), as is the "please use the search function". Each side as valid point and the internet (like my commute) is full of people who will annoy you (and not trying to imply one side is right or wrong in this debate). Ignore the posts that bother you, read the ones that are helpful has been my approach over the years. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.