: Cts-v ground clearance

Nasty Black Lac
08-08-12, 11:33 PM
Long time member, 1st post in a while. I'm replacing a 03 escalade and want to buy a cts-v wagon. How are the stock ground height clearances? I'm used to driving up and down driveway curbs and now I'm fearful a cts-v might be too low for my daily driver. Any feedback?

simgolfer
08-09-12, 12:34 AM
I have a sedan and have not had an issue with curbs and speed bumps any more than any other car. However it is a car not a truck or SUV.

1997BlackETC
08-09-12, 01:15 AM
You could always put a lift kit on the V and 30 inch truck wheels, that would do the trick.

Nasty Black Lac
08-09-12, 09:34 AM
You could always put a lift kit on the V and 30 inch truck wheels, that would do the trick.

hmmmm..

My previous car was a '00 mustang GT (with lowering springs) which I assume was close to the height of a V. Any other people have experiences of tearing the front end off? I hope it's just a non-issue.

baabootoo
08-09-12, 09:58 AM
If you know how to drive, you won't have any more problems than normal. I have yet to destroy my ground effects after 2 1/2 years. If you go flying up a driveway, get the card out! :)

Nasty Black Lac
08-09-12, 10:18 AM
this is another crazy paranoia question - anyone drive one of these in the snow?!?

I understand this is NOT a winter car. Period. But, we can get some inclimate weather here in Indiana. I think it could go on less than an inch of snow, but I imagine anything else would be impossible with out a set of snow tires.

Another question. Could I buy a set of regular OEM CTS wheels (17" - 18") and run snow tires? I assume NO with those MASSIVE brembo brakes.

cdog533
08-09-12, 11:36 AM
I used to drive my V1 in the snow with snow tires; it was excellent. The key is the tires.

You can swap them on and off stock wheels pretty easy.

thebigjimsho
08-09-12, 11:56 AM
The ground clearance is no different than a V1. However, the approach angle isn't nearly as good. You need to take care when pulling onto an inclined driveway.

But, if you're careful and enter at an angle, its easily doable...

Mr. LCP
08-10-12, 11:41 PM
What is a driveway curb? I've not yet bottomed my CTS-V, but have driven over one exceptionally nasty high center spot at maximum diagonal angle to avoid that concern. I often would scrape on my ever so slightly lowered Audi S4 at a lot of places (and flat out avoided a few). That said, the CTS-V has a low front splitter and I will not pull over any parking stops or curbs with it. Some of the very low ones it could probably clear, but I'm not going to risk it. That could contribute to the "low approach angle" "feature."

neuronbob
08-11-12, 08:35 AM
In 3 1/2 years of ownership I haven't run into any situation in which I bottomed out the car. I also drive my car in the winter with winter tires, and we get lots more snow in Cleveland than you guys in Indiana. Neither should be a reason you don't buy this car.

Happy hunting!

JFJr
08-11-12, 08:42 AM
Long time member, 1st post in a while. I'm replacing a 03 escalade and want to buy a cts-v wagon. How are the stock ground height clearances? I'm used to driving up and down driveway curbs and now I'm fearful a cts-v might be too low for my daily driver. Any feedback?Think 4 door Corvette and you should stay out of trouble.

Jud

Zhariak
08-11-12, 09:24 AM
560hp in winter... Attach a plow to the front and put studded winter tires on and your set ;)

Nasty Black Lac
08-11-12, 10:37 AM
In 3 1/2 years of ownership I haven't run into any situation in which I bottomed out the car. I also drive my car in the winter with winter tires, and we get lots more snow in Cleveland than you guys in Indiana. Neither should be a reason you don't buy this car.

Happy hunting!

That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for your feedback.

larry arizona
08-11-12, 07:15 PM
The V2 has a ton of ground clearence. I dropped mine 1 inch with eibach pro kit and STILL have zero ground clearnence issues. Stock ride height it way too high.

thebigjimsho
08-12-12, 12:17 AM
It's not ground clearance, its approach angle that is the issue.