: Touchscreen Frozen

SusanM
08-08-12, 11:24 PM
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me. Yesterday on the way into work the Touchscreen on my 2005 STS froze and will not accept input. If I press SOURCE, AUX, etc., it will change to the appropriate screen but input on the screen will not be accepted. Rather, if I want to listen to a particular FM station I have to use the knob to change channels. This is happening with the navigation situation as well: I am presented with a warning screen about not inputting while driving, but cannot get beyond that, period. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Thank you,

Susan

curtc
08-09-12, 12:20 AM
Try disconnecting your battery for about 15-30 minutes. This will reset the computer and may free up your nav system.

dkozloski
08-09-12, 01:31 AM
There is a TSB from 2007 that addresses this and other issues. It involves a NAV system firmware upgrade. TSB #05-08-126-00B. See your dealer.

eatyoursandwich
08-09-12, 11:02 AM
Wait.

I'm sorry if this sounds condescending, but if this is your (in the general sense, not just the op) first experience with OEM navigation system, this is often not known and overlooked.

Do you know the car will shut off all nav, aux, bluetooth inputs when the car is going over 3mph?

I don't really understand the FM thing so if I'm way off, I apologize.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, maybe it was just the way I read your post, I just wanted to throw it out there and make sure, before you waste a trip to the dealer.

SusanM
08-09-12, 08:44 PM
>Do you know the car will shut off all nav, aux, bluetooth inputs when the car is going over 3mph?

I do not understand......

SusanM
08-09-12, 08:46 PM
There is a TSB from 2007 that addresses this and other issues. It involves a NAV system firmware upgrade. TSB #05-08-126-00B. See your dealer.
Thank you. It is more than the NAV system proper that is locked up; no functions (audio, etc) will react to touching the screen. You can get as far as the main screen and then you're just looking at icons and text. Touching the screen results in nothing.

SusanM
08-09-12, 08:47 PM
Try disconnecting your battery for about 15-30 minutes. This will reset the computer and may free up your nav system.
I'll try that, but before doing so is there anything else that could be negatively impacted?

Thanks,

Susan

curtc
08-09-12, 09:22 PM
I'll try that, but before doing so is there anything else that could be negatively impacted?

Thanks,

Susan

Nope, disconnecting the battery won't hurt a thing.

SusanM
08-09-12, 10:23 PM
>Nope, disconnecting the battery won't hurt a thing.

Thank you! The help is really appreciated. :-)

Should I disconnect the Negative first?

eatyoursandwich
08-10-12, 11:18 AM
>Do you know the car will shut off all nav, aux, bluetooth inputs when the car is going over 3mph?

I do not understand......

I think this is being overlooked.

Does this problem ever happen when the car is on and in park?

If the answer is no, then I think we have our answer. If the answer is yes, then we can cross my silly possibility off the list.

curtc
08-10-12, 11:39 AM
She said normal operations that DO work while in motion are not working so I think we can :)

SusanM
08-10-12, 11:40 AM
I think this is being overlooked.

Does this problem ever happen when the car is on and in park?

If the answer is no, then I think we have our answer. If the answer is yes, then we can cross my silly possibility off the list.
It happens whether the vehicle is moving or parked but running. And if in ACC as well.

I think the biggest differences are the disconnecting the battery versus a firmware upgrade. The latter would imply that it is needed to correct the issue, as perhaps the software within the EEPROM has gone South, perhaps from corruption.

Thank you!

eatyoursandwich
08-10-12, 11:47 AM
It happens whether the vehicle is moving or parked but running. And if in ACC as well.

I think the biggest differences are the disconnecting the battery versus a firmware upgrade. The latter would imply that it is needed to correct the issue, as perhaps the software within the EEPROM has gone South, perhaps from corruption.

Thank you!

You proved my theory wrong in a number of ways, haha.

All disconnecting the battery will do is reset the system. It's something I would at least try first because 1) It's not going to hurt anything and 2) If it works, problem solved. At the very least, it won't work and you move to the next option -- if you're under warranty, I would probably take it to the dealer at that point.

Let us know what you find, please. Good luck!

SusanM
08-10-12, 01:48 PM
You proved my theory wrong in a number of ways, haha.

All disconnecting the battery will do is reset the system. It's something I would at least try first because 1) It's not going to hurt anything and 2) If it works, problem solved. At the very least, it won't work and you move to the next option -- if you're under warranty, I would probably take it to the dealer at that point.

Let us know what you find, please. Good luck!
Thank you! Just the negative terminal will suffice?

Best,

Susan

eatyoursandwich
08-10-12, 05:06 PM
Thank you! Just the negative terminal will suffice?

Best,

Susan

Yes, just disconnecting the negative terminal will reset the navigation.

curtc
08-10-12, 05:09 PM

And you have to leave it disconnected for like 15-30 minutes, otherwise it won't reset it.

SusanM
08-10-12, 07:37 PM
Disconnecting the negative terminal for 15 minutes did the trick. Thank you VERY much to everyone!

Susan

curtc
08-10-12, 08:09 PM
Another happy ending! :)

If you have an issue with your Cadillac this is the place to be!