: Ever have a car without power windows?

orconn
08-08-12, 07:40 PM
I don't know why (too much time on my hands, i guess), but I was trying to remember when I have had a car that didn't have power windows. I do remember the the 1956 Mercedes 300D sedan that was my DD when I first got my license didn't have power windows, but both of my parents cars had them, even in the mid 1950's.

The very first car that I could call my own, my 1958 Jaguar XK 150 drophead (purchased June of 1965) didn't have power windows, but the next three cars did. However, my 1965 Nissan Cedric 2800 Speciale, despite its status as the "Fleetwood" of the Nissan line didn't have them either. After the Cedric all the cars my wife and I owned had power windows. I sold the Cedric in 1972 when I returned the to the States. Almost forgot, the Dodge Dart hardtop that my wife had when we were married didn't have power windows, but that car found a new home quickly after we were wed!

I am sure some of the older guys here had cars that required more than flick of a finger to get to go up or down, but I wonder whether many of our younger members have actually cranked a window!

Dadillac
08-08-12, 07:46 PM
I remember owning cars that didn't have power anything. No power brakes, steering, seats, windows, no a/c. Those were the days

Don

cadillac kevin
08-08-12, 08:22 PM
My 83 lesabre has crank windows...oddly the windows cranks work backwards of every manual window I've used (same thing with the lock cylinders...they're backwards)
My 74 apollo also had crank windows (and manual locks, no AC, etc). The only options it had IIRC were posi rear end and automatic trans.

deckofficer
08-08-12, 08:38 PM
'63 '67 Ford Falcon '55 Ford, '63 '67 Jeep Wagoneer, '68 Firebird, '74 pinto and probably more.

Submariner409
08-08-12, 09:01 PM
Oh, for God's sake...........

1953 Morris Minor
1949 Merc flathead
1953 MG-TD
1955 Austin Healey
1956 Jaguar XK-140 MC
1957 BelAir
1961 Corvair
1964 Corvair Spyder
1965 Chevelle 327/350
1965 LeMans
1972 Volvo
1967 Cougar 289 HiPo
1980 Mustang
1983 Mustang GT
1985 Mustang GT
Bunch of trucks

Then comes the string of GM cars, Ford cars, Ford trucks with all-power widgets and warm and fuzzy dash warnings. What's a dipstick, mommy ?

Ranger
08-08-12, 09:18 PM
Last one I had was a '69 Road Runner. No P/S or brakes either.

ted tcb
08-08-12, 09:23 PM
Cars I've owned without power windows .... hmmmm....

1972 Ford Capri
1978 Datsun F10
1978 Civic
1971 Plymouth Sebring
1982 Honda Accord
1975 Cordoba
1979 Civic
1985 Prelude
1979 Toyota Corolla
1990 Honda Civic
1984 Pontiac Sunfire
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
2000 Corolla VE
2004 Mazda 3

brandondeleo
08-08-12, 09:31 PM
I've never been without power windows, but I've spent plenty of time driving cars without them... I hate it. Thank god I haven't had to live with it. Freaking sucks.

Technikal
08-08-12, 09:41 PM
84 cutlass surpreme
84 Toyota starlet
91 Geo prizim
Countless work trucks

talismandave
08-08-12, 09:53 PM
My 83 lesabre has crank windows...oddly the windows cranks work backwards of every manual window I've used (same thing with the lock cylinders...they're backwards)
My 74 apollo also had crank windows (and manual locks, no AC, etc). The only options it had IIRC were posi rear end and automatic trans.
I had an 81 Phoenix LJ coupe that had the backward window crank, and at the time crank windows were common enough that you really noticed. Drove me crazy. Only had the car for a little less than a year, never did get used to it. Forgot all about that,funny!
Remember getting in the car on a hot day and having to reach around and crank all four windows down?

CTS4MATION
08-08-12, 10:16 PM
I remember owning cars that didn't have power anything. No power brakes, steering, seats, windows, no a/c. Those were the days

Don

Im still a young one, but I prefer NOT to have power windows. I treat my truck like a truck so something always goes wrong with the power options, and my work car has no PW or PL. I dont mind it but im the only one that gets in that shit box :)

thebigjimsho
08-08-12, 10:22 PM
'81 Chevy Citation.

hueterm
08-08-12, 10:22 PM
My parents had cars when I was a kid that didn't have P/W, but all of mine have had. My '70 GP that I have, however, does not have power locks...

Jesda
08-08-12, 10:24 PM
A whole bunch. As long as there was AC it didnt matter, but without AC it was a pain to manually put all four windows down.

77CDV
08-08-12, 10:30 PM
I never owned one, but my dad had a string of regretable econocars with no PW (or PS or PDL or PB). 72 Pinto, 78 Chevette, 81 Horizon, 82 Ecsort, 88 Samurai. Yeah, Dad's taste in cars was questionable. :lol:

vincentm
08-08-12, 10:40 PM
1959 Ford Galaxy
1974 Dodge Charger
1972 chevy luv pickup
1998 Plymouth Neon

talismandave
08-08-12, 10:57 PM
I always wanted a Samurai. Still think they are sort of cool. No illusions of the true vehicle though.
Same for the Chevy Luv!

rodnok01
08-08-12, 11:19 PM
I have 2 currently, 64 Panel Truck and 95 Furd PU
It would easier to tell you the cars I've had WITH power windows...
How about a thread on vent windows....

vincentm
08-08-12, 11:24 PM
I always wanted a Samurai. Still think they are sort of cool. No illusions of the true vehicle though.
Same for the Chevy Luv!

I really want a 72 again. And this time it'll get my full attention for a restore with custom chrome rims. They're so fun to drive.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-08-12, 11:28 PM
The '91 Mazda 626 that I learned how to drive in (parents had it from '94-'05) didn't have power windows nor power locks. It however did have A/C and automatic transmission.

The base Kia Rios, Kia Fortes and Nissan Versas don't have PW or PL.

cadillac kevin
08-09-12, 12:05 AM
I had an 81 Phoenix LJ coupe that had the backward window crank, and at the time crank windows were common enough that you really noticed. Drove me crazy. Only had the car for a little less than a year, never did get used to it. Forgot all about that,funny!
Remember getting in the car on a hot day and having to reach around and crank all four windows down?
I never really had a problem with heat in the lesabe. I'd just roll down the window, open the drivers door, and stand outside for a few minutes as the heat came blasting out (felt like opening the open door). lol
when I was a kid, my dad had 2 '77 wagons (catalina and impala) back to back. neither one had working AC. first thing to do when you got in the car was crank down the front windows and hit the switch for the power rear glass (which moved slowly unless you idled up the car, at which point it went down pretty quick.)
Impala was the worst, having an all black vinyl interior. the front bench had a sheet on it during the summer (otherwise it would turn your legs and arms bright red), and touching the seat belt buckles too soon would result in burns.

Ahh the good ole days. lol

greencadillacmatt
08-09-12, 01:04 AM
I've never had a crank window car. My dad's '85 GMC S15 Sierra had them, by everything else my parents have had (as far as I remember, anyway) were powered. Even my little Chevy Cavalier had power windows. Hell, if you hold the unlock button on my Challenger it puts the windows down for you!

CadillacLuke24
08-09-12, 01:27 AM
I know for a fact I've never owned a car with crank windows (duh) or my parents have during my life time......

....because there ALWAYS was some kid, me at times, who decided they needed to roll their window down. Dad thought otherwise. Ad let us know. Loudly.

:D

Boy I am glad I have rear window lockout

gdwriter
08-09-12, 01:38 AM
Betty does not have power windows, although I may install them when I get around to replacing the door panels because I can get reproduction switches so it will look factory correct. It's partially because I'm lazy and like to have all four windows down on a nice day, but also because it's easier to put the back windows up and down when Hoover's in the car. He's constantly going back and forth. In the Seville, it's easy to toggle one window up with the other one down on a chilly day, but I can't do that when driving Betty. Yes, my dog is spoiled.

When I was a kid, a friend of my Dad's had a '66 Lincoln Continental that I called the Magic Car because of all the power goodies. I think that Connie started my love for luxury cars, although coming from a Chevy family, I naturally gravitated toward Cadillacs. Still like the '60s Continentals and Mark IVs, however.

ShapeShifter
08-09-12, 01:44 AM
1956 Ford 4 dr Sedan (family/first high school date car)
1966 Pontiac LeMans (my first car)

brandondeleo
08-09-12, 03:55 AM
Betty does not have power windows, although I may install them when I get around to replacing the door panels because I can get reproduction switches so it will look factory correct. It's partially because I'm lazy and like to have all four windows down on a nice day, but also because it's easier to put the back windows up and down when Hoover's in the car. He's constantly going back and forth. In the Seville, it's easy to toggle one window up with the other one down on a chilly day, but I can't do that when driving Betty. Yes, my dog is spoiled.

When I was a kid, a friend of my Dad's had a '66 Lincoln Continental that I called the Magic Car because of all the power goodies. I think that Connie started my love for luxury cars, although coming from a Chevy family, I naturally gravitated toward Cadillacs. Still like the '60s Continentals and Mark IVs, however.
You know, I rode around in a '65 Chevelle recently, and I noticed that the door panel did the exact same thing yours did. The window crank hit the trim strip on the door panel as if it were sticking out. I wonder if that's a characteristic of that era GM or just a coincidence.

truckinman
08-09-12, 04:38 AM
My last one was my last jeep wrangler. I LOVED it. People bitch bc they gotta crank up their manual windows. No no. Not mine. I had to ZIP up my windows. It's like driving around in a tent a I LOVE that about the older soft top jeep wranglers!

truckinman
08-09-12, 04:43 AM
And the only other car besides all 3 of my wranglers, which b4 2007, there was no such option as power windows or locks on a wrangler. Even the full steel doors with glass windows. Those were cranks. But b4 my jeeps, my very first car in high school was all manual windows. And it was a big car so it sucked when I had em all down by myself, and got caught in the rain. Lol. But it was a 1987 Buick Lesabre custom.

donwon
08-09-12, 07:23 AM
My 09 mada3 has crank windows. The only option it has is a/c.
In my lifetime I have only had maybe 6 or 7 cars with lectric windows.

brandondeleo
08-09-12, 07:55 AM
2009 with crank windows? Holy crap.

truckinman
08-09-12, 08:36 AM
2009 with crank windows? Holy crap.

My fiancÚ looked at a 2012 Kia serento that had crank windows. Well once she realized it was so basic it had cranks she didn't want it. Lol

M5eater
08-09-12, 08:46 AM
Easy.

First car w/o power windows would be the miata I have now.

It has A/C and P/S. That's it. Oh and a radio with 6 speakers (2 in the head rests per chair, 1 in both doors)

Submariner409
08-09-12, 09:21 AM
It's partially because I'm lazy and like to have all four windows down on a nice day

That's the 1950's 460 air conditioning option - all 4 windows down at 60 mph.

Submariner409
08-09-12, 09:25 AM
I've never been without power windows, but I've spent plenty of time driving cars without them... I hate it. Thank god I haven't had to live with it. Freaking sucks.

Is your eye/hand coordination THAT bad ?? Can you walk down the street and chew gum at the same time ?

cadillac kevin
08-09-12, 09:43 AM
That's the 1950's 460 air conditioning option - all 4 windows down at 60 mph.

I thought that was "polish air conditioning"?

cadillac kevin
08-09-12, 09:50 AM
Is your eye/hand coordination THAT bad ?? Can you walk down the street and chew gum at the same time ?

Poor brandon....having to use his hand while driving. Good thing he didn't drive anything from the 70s, when you got AM only radio with one speaker, 1 outside mirror that might have had a toggle, drum brakes (front disc if you were lucky), 2 way seats, manual locks, no AC etc.

bigm57ict
08-09-12, 10:30 AM
I find it interesting that we've heard from some with fairly new cars that have window cranks. It seems, these days, it would cost a manufacturer more to make power windows an option and design and build a manual version.

As for me:
1978 Buick Lesabre
1961 Chevrolet Impala (even the wing vents had little window cranks on the door)
1957 Mercury Montclair
1977 Mercury Cougar Brougham

Parents (when i was a kid)
1968 Mustang
1970 Lesabre
1976 Chevrolet Chevette
1986 Plymouth Horizon
1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Pretty much, as a kid, power windows were a luxury item only experienced in the grandparents' cars :)

M5eater
08-09-12, 10:37 AM
I find it interesting that we've heard from some with fairly new cars that have window cranks. It seems, these days, it would cost a manufacturer more to make power windows an option and design and build a manual version.

As for me:
1978 Buick Lesabre
1961 Chevrolet Impala (even the wing vents had little window cranks on the door)
1957 Mercury Montclair
1977 Mercury Cougar Brougham

Parents (when i was a kid)
1968 Mustang
1970 Lesabre
1976 Chevrolet Chevette
1986 Plymouth Horizon
1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Pretty much, as a kid, power windows were a luxury item only experienced in the grandparents' cars :)

It does, that's why a lot of sub-compacts have power windows and ect.

Unless you're importing the car from a market where it's more populus that is.

The-Dullahan
08-09-12, 03:35 PM
My Chevrolet does not have Power Windows. My Pontiac didn't have them when I got it and was actually missing a window (Well, it wasn't technically missing, because it was attached to the door still...which happened to be in the trunk), but I accidentally found parts for that from a factory-optioned vehicle and since the entire car was apart anyhow, decided to invest in them.

The Mack has power windows, the Cadillac and Lincoln naturally have them and the Ford does also, though there ARE a few rare trucks like it without Power Windows, or so I would imagine.

creeker
08-09-12, 03:45 PM

Don

I remember when a big advancement in cars was when you opened the door, the light came on insisde.

donwon
08-09-12, 04:26 PM
I remember cars that you had to turn the key to on and push the starter button and pull the choke to make the motor run. I even had one with a hand crank to start it with.

fortes89
08-09-12, 04:41 PM
99 honda civic

donwon
08-09-12, 04:51 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/417388_506161159400790_998706373_n.jpg

The-Dullahan
08-09-12, 06:53 PM
I remember hand-cranking cars to start. Nothing worth bragging about, but most people of my age demographic cannot say that.

orconn
08-09-12, 07:32 PM
^^^ Dullahan, I thought you lived in the boonies of Pennsylvania, not the New Jersey Pine Barrens! I'll bet some of those Pineys are still cranking there 1930's Fords cause they're too cheap to buy a new battery!

orconn
08-09-12, 07:36 PM
To be honest I am also surprised that there are still new cars being sold in the U.S. without power windows. However, the last car I had without power steering was my 1983 VW Scirocco! The Scirocco was bad to steering, even parking, but then it didn't weigh ten zillion pounds like today's cars.

Johnxlrv
08-09-12, 08:26 PM
I don't know why (too much time on my hands, i guess), but I was trying to remember when I have had a car that didn't have power windows. I do remember the the 1956 Mercedes 300D sedan that was my DD when I first got my license didn't have power windows, but both of my parents cars had them, even in the mid 1950's.

The very first car that I could call my own, my 1958 Jaguar XK 150 drophead (purchased June of 1965) didn't have power windows, but the next three cars did. However, my 1965 Nissan Cedric 2800 Speciale, despite its status as the "Fleetwood" of the Nissan line didn't have them either. After the Cedric all the cars my wife and I owned had power windows. I sold the Cedric in 1972 when I returned the to the States. Almost forgot, the Dodge Dart hardtop that my wife had when we were married didn't have power windows, but that car found a new home quickly after we were wed!

I am sure some of the older guys here had cars that required more than flick of a finger to get to go up or down, but I wonder whether many of our younger members have actually cranked a window!

I bought my daughter a 2002 DX accord with crank regulators...after hunting for the buttons for a while, she figured it out and shouted " how retro!"...was really excited to have something " old school"

The-Dullahan
08-09-12, 09:03 PM
^^^ Dullahan, I thought you lived in the boonies of Pennsylvania, not the New Jersey Pine Barrens! I'll bet some of those Pineys are still cranking there 1930's Fords cause they're too cheap to buy a new battery!

Pennsylvania is ALL antique cars. That is why we have so many state-specific laws about antique plates.

An example is the Sunlight Code. If the sun is not out or it is rainy or foggy, you cannot legally drive a car with an antique plate in PA. this is because there are so many antique cars and many have very dim electrical (or candle-powered) headlamps.

This is also why I was doing so well in the "Name That Car" thread. Those are just the types of cars people owned where I lives. My boss/Adoptive Mum was an avid collector of weaponry and cars. In either category, she owned just about one of everything.

Night Wolf
08-09-12, 09:19 PM
Windows aren't a concern when doors are in storage most of the year.

Usernam3
08-09-12, 09:46 PM
My 2007 Chevy Cobalt doesn't have power windows, or power locks. I'm completely fine with it. Bought it brand new for $7k, and save a ton on gas.

orconn
08-09-12, 11:14 PM
I bought my daughter a 2002 DX accord with crank regulators...after hunting for the buttons for a while, she figured it out and shouted " how retro!"...was really excited to have something " old school"

Wow! That's great! Your daughter is a real "positive" thinker, congratulations!

dkozloski
08-10-12, 05:16 PM
My '95 Ford Ranger has manual windows.

Cadillac Kid03
08-11-12, 03:03 PM
My mother's 2001 Monte Carlo SS has power windows that don't work does that count?

cadillac kevin
08-11-12, 03:50 PM
Wow! That's great! Your daughter is a real "positive" thinker, congratulations!

Next he should install an 8 track deck and and see how long it takes her to realize its not an ipod drawer.

Johnxlrv
08-11-12, 04:25 PM
They already mistook my LPs as prehistoric CDs...but yes, they are so dependent on their iPods

orconn
08-11-12, 04:39 PM
My grandson was in shock the other day, he was riding in his car seat in the back of my '95 Seville and he could actually see out of the car!

cadillac kevin
08-11-12, 05:12 PM
They already mistook my LPs as prehistoric CDs...but yes, they are so dependent on their iPods

LOL
Reminds me of when I was in college. I had a 91 cutlass wagon with a JVC stereo in it with the flip down face and a cassette deck (it was the last car stereo JVC made with a tape deck). This happened on 2 occasions that I recall. I would be listening to tapes and people would come up and ask what CD I was playing (at very loud levels). I would say that I didn't have a cd player. Then they'd ask wheres my ipod, to which I'd respond its not an ipod and that the radio had a tape deck. The people were adamant that it could not be a tape because "tapes don't sound that good, only CDs and ipods do" (lol). I would then press the eject button, and ...gasp... a cassette tape came out of the radio.

cadillac kevin
08-11-12, 05:21 PM
My grandson was in shock the other day, he was riding in his car seat in the back of my '95 Seville and he could actually see out of the car!

Is that because he's taller or because of the way the back seat is?
When I was a little kid, I always liked riding in my grandma's caprice, since it was the only car in the family where I could see out the side window and over the dashboard.

Aron9000
08-11-12, 06:00 PM
My 93 Toyota truck has crank windows. Both of the crank handles were broke on it when I bought it, you could still get them down it was just a major PITA. I can manage to crank the pass window down/up while driving. On something like a 1970 Impala that is about two miles wide, I don't know how you'd get the passenger side window up if it started to rain, unless you pulled over.

One thing that drives me nuts about that truck is that vent windows were an option, but this one doesn't have them. Vent windows were great when you didn't have a/c back in the day(or its broke like my truck), keep some air coming in while its raining but you didn't get wet.

Don S
08-15-12, 11:36 AM
77 Ford Mustang II

77CDV
08-15-12, 10:11 PM
77 Ford Mustang II

I'm so very sorry!