: Distributor Install and Timing Help!

c21no1
08-07-12, 02:50 PM
I recently purchased a 1973 Eldorado Convertible, I replaced the timing chain with a new Cloyes Roller and I did the option of advancing the timing 4 degrees. Now I'm wondering whats the best way to install and set the distributor timing? I didn't see any marks on the balancer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

deVille33
08-08-12, 09:50 AM
Index the engine so that number 1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. Your timing mark on the balancer should be near the timing scale on the front cover. A lot of times the mark gets filled in with dirt. If it is not there, you may have set the timing set wrong. Number 1 cylinder on these engines is on the right bank (passenger side) of the engine. Guys who work on Chebbies get this wrong a lot.

c21no1
08-08-12, 10:10 AM
I still have the hub and balancer off and there is no marks that I can see anywhere on them. I'll look again, I hope I'm wrong!

c21no1
08-08-12, 07:53 PM
I found the mark, it was on the pulley! I'm having a hell of a time getting that hub back on, I could only find a Grade 5 9/16 fine thread bolt and the threads stripped a little on it, the hub is about 1/2 way on, maybe a little more. Any suggestions?

deVille33
08-09-12, 11:10 AM
Clean the end of the crank snout with a strip of emory. Throw the hub in the oven and bake to 250 degrees. Use some welders gloves to handle it and it should go back on. Don't get it any hotter than that or You will mess the seal on the front plate.

drmenard
08-10-12, 10:38 PM
I would get some threaded rod 9/16 fine and cut a piece long enough to screw all the way in the crank.. Now press it on with a nut and a few big washers.. Get a washer that just fits the 9/16 rod and go up with a few washers so your big enough to press on the hub .. more washers make it stronger..Now with a good nut, 2H if you can get it , you should be able to press it on...