: Bought my first Cadillac!

Don S
08-07-12, 02:12 PM
Hi all! Turned 40 this year and thought it was time to see what all the fuss was going on with owning a Cadillac. Bought a gently used, black, 04 Deville DTS from a local guy at a really good price. Now I have to get familiar with all these bells and whistles the car has! First problem I have to overcome, though, is replacing the left rear window regulator. Didn't realize this was a known issue with the car until my daughter tried to put down the window and it fell all the way down in a split second! :helpless:

Glad I found the cool spot to hang out. Looking forward to meeting folks here.

Don

Don S
08-07-12, 02:13 PM
Oh... and if anyone has a PDF of the navigation system manual for this car and is willing to share, I'd be very happy!

AElayyat
08-07-12, 02:23 PM
Congrats on your deville! They are sweet cars I recently got an 05 dts. I'm sure one of the other members might have a link for the navi issue

Don S
08-07-12, 02:25 PM
Congrats on your deville! They are sweet cars I recently got an 05 dts. I'm sure one of the other members might have a link for the navi issue

Thanks! Gotta say, my decision was spur-of-the-moment and it didn't take long to say yes! Have to get used to the size... this thing is nearly 3 feet longer than the one I usually drive. :p

CadillacLuke24
08-07-12, 03:20 PM
They're a different breed, buit the hoopla isn't for nothin' :D Once you get used to it you'll really enjoy it. Congratulations on your new purchase! Hope it gives you many trouble free miles. :yup:

Ranger
08-07-12, 03:43 PM
Congrats.

Now go search the Tech Tips forum for a cheap & easy fix to those "Pop n Drop" windows.

Don S
08-07-12, 04:05 PM
They're a different breed, buit the hoopla isn't for nothin' :D Once you get used to it you'll really enjoy it. Congratulations on your new purchase! Hope it gives you many trouble free miles. :yup:

Thanks! The previous owners took really good care, so I'm also hoping for more trouble-free miles.

Congrats.

Now go search the Tech Tips forum for a cheap & easy fix to those "Pop n Drop" windows.

Thanks for the tip! Heading there now :thumbsup:

orconn
08-07-12, 05:22 PM
Welcome aboard, Don! Much good info and entertanment here, glad you found the Forums!

93DevilleUSMC
08-07-12, 05:22 PM
Welcome!

77CDV
08-07-12, 05:48 PM
:welcome: The DTS is a great all-around car, and a fabulous highway cruiser. Enjoy! :)

Don S
08-07-12, 10:07 PM
Welcome aboard, Don! Much good info and entertanment here, glad you found the Forums!

Thanks! Haven't found the entertainment yet, but I'm sure the drinks are right around the corner. :cheers:

Welcome!

Thanks!

:welcome: The DTS is a great all-around car, and a fabulous highway cruiser. Enjoy! :)

That's what I hear. Can't wait to take a trip to Ohio to see what it's like (have family up there).

Dadillac
08-07-12, 11:09 PM
Welcome aboard Don S. I am Don S too. Congrats on the DTS. You will grow to love it. Bought my first Caddy at age 38. Bought my second just before turning 45. I plan to own this one until one of us dies. You will find very helpful folks on this board. Any questions just ask away. You will get answers to every issue you have. I am a member on some younger based forums and the amount of bs involved when a question is asked is insane. This board is more mature based so there is far less of that crap here. Best of luck with the new ride and obligatory pics please

Don

The-Dullahan
08-08-12, 02:01 AM
Welcome, good sir. I certainly hope it is not your last Cadillac.

What types of cars were you into and have owned in the past?

talismandave
08-08-12, 01:31 PM
This board is more mature....Don

Wow...we're more mature! Wow...just wow. Who would have guessed that?:hmm: I shudder to think what else is out there if we behave maturely!:helpless::histeric:

Welcome to the forum, you will have some fun here and get lot's of good help. It is really just down here in Community Lounge that we get out of hand sometimes.:excited:
Otherwise Dadillac is right.
Enjoy the car and the companionship! :welcome5:

Don S
08-08-12, 01:45 PM
Welcome aboard Don S. I am Don S too. Congrats on the DTS. You will grow to love it. Bought my first Caddy at age 38. Bought my second just before turning 45. I plan to own this one until one of us dies. You will find very helpful folks on this board. Any questions just ask away. You will get answers to every issue you have. I am a member on some younger based forums and the amount of bs involved when a question is asked is insane. This board is more mature based so there is far less of that crap here. Best of luck with the new ride and obligatory pics please

Don

I have met my Caddy twin! :cool2: And IKWYM about some other boards. The welcomes here have already made me feel at home. As for the pics... I'll get some done this weekend if the weather holds out.

Welcome, good sir. I certainly hope it is not your last Cadillac.

What types of cars were you into and have owned in the past?

Up until now I've been into small-midsized cars. The car I am replacing is a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX. Before that I was into Hondas. Tired of all the small cars now. Give me room and comfort! :2thumbs:

Wow...we're more mature! Wow...just wow. Who would have guessed that?:hmm: I shudder to think what else is out there if we behave maturely!:helpless::histeric:

Welcome to the forum, you will have some fun here and get lot's of good help. It is really just down here in Community Lounge that we get out of hand sometimes.:excited:

:histeric: Mature. Like any men here are THAT! :lol: Thanks for the welcome!

Don S
08-08-12, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know how long it takes before a new member can send a PM? Usually one must have a certain numbers of posts first, but I cannot find any rules about it here.

Ranger
08-08-12, 04:09 PM
I could be wrong, but I think it might be 20 posts. It won't take long. Just please don't spam post to get there.

Submariner409
08-08-12, 04:16 PM
Congrats on your deville! They are sweet cars I recently got an 05 dts.

Always remember: A 2005 "DTS" is quite different from a 2004 Deville Touring Sedan - you have the real thing - the later "DTS" is a wannabe.

CadillacLuke24
08-08-12, 04:31 PM
Didn't they swap bodystyles for the '06 model year?

Don S
08-08-12, 04:34 PM
I could be wrong, but I think it might be 20 posts. It won't take long. Just please don't spam post to get there.

Thanks! :spamkill: Spam free here...

Always remember: A 2005 "DTS" is quite different from a 2004 Deville Touring Sedan - you have the real thing - the later "DTS" is a wannabe.

:lol: Sounds like the voice of reason here.

Don S
08-08-12, 04:37 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be multi-quoting though. Might get my count a little higher! :lol:

AElayyat
08-08-12, 07:12 PM

Really??? I didn't know that...thanks for the heads up. Any major differences between 04& 05 dts trim level?

Dadillac
08-08-12, 08:50 PM
Sub you are off by one year. The '04 and '05 Deville's are the same. It was in '06 when the Deville became the DTS.

Don

Dadillac
08-08-12, 08:52 PM

I guess you have no idea. But I am a member of more than one forum that I check out for entertainment purposes only. The younger guys have a great sense of humor and know how to use it. It is horrible for technical discussions but their off topic forums are killer

Don

Don S
08-08-12, 10:10 PM
Woohoo! Spent the last hour putting in a new window regulator. I had already purchased the new one before finding out that 2 cotter pins would have fixed it :suspect: So now I have the original in storage until this one dies. GM really found a money maker in that crappy plastic, didn't they? :ripped:

talismandave
08-08-12, 10:44 PM
Maybe I shouldn't be multi-quoting though. Might get my count a little higher! :lol:
I was thinking nthe same thing.
Easy way to get to #11? Post some pictures!

Don S
08-08-12, 11:03 PM
I was thinking nthe same thing.
Easy way to get to #11? Post some pictures!

OK... here is a crappy one with my cell phone:

talismandave
08-08-12, 11:18 PM
Looks great! Not bad for a phone either. How deep is your tint?

orconn
08-09-12, 12:10 AM
Woohoo! Spent the last hour putting in a new window regulator. I had already purchased the new one before finding out that 2 cotter pins would have fixed it :suspect: So now I have the original in storage until this one dies. GM really found a money maker in that crappy plastic, didn't they? :ripped:

Took the General awhile to catch on, the Germans have been putting really crappt, expensive window regulators in their cars since, at least, the 1980's. We Americans are slow, sometimes to learn, but once we figure out that there is money to be ..... and our customers won't complain too much, quick to implement!

CadillacLuke24
08-09-12, 02:20 AM
That is one slick DTS! :thumbsup: Glad you got the windows fixed!

Don S
08-09-12, 07:24 AM
Looks great! Not bad for a phone either. How deep is your tint?

Thanks! It appears to be legal VA tint (50% all around), but is a metallic tint. I think the previous owner chose wisely.

Don S
08-09-12, 07:25 AM
Took the General awhile to catch on, the Germans have been putting really crappt, expensive window regulators in their cars since, at least, the 1980's. We Americans are slow, sometimes to learn, but once we figure out that there is money to be ..... and our customers won't complain too much, quick to implement!

:lol:

Don S
08-09-12, 07:27 AM
That is one slick DTS! :thumbsup: Glad you got the windows fixed!

Thanks! Honestly, I was originally looking for a silver one. My mind was changed after seeing this one! My first black car, too.

The window was pretty easy. I only managed to crack the panel in a few places. Amazing how brittle that plastic is! But also found that super glue works well with that type of plastic.... go figure.

Don S
08-13-12, 02:19 PM
Interesting... now I'm beginning to wonder what kind of car I've purchased. I've only had the thing on the road about 5 times. This weekend I pulled it out of the garage to clean it. Went to put it back in the garage and couldn't get the thing out of park! I managed to mess with it enough to get it out of park and get it in the garage... but now it's really won't shift out of park. Seems to be the solenoid in the console, but haven't had time to mess with it. Hope I didn't just buy a lemon :mad:

Don S
08-14-12, 01:37 PM
Spent some time last night pulling the console apart to figure out what the issue was. Unfortunately, I did not have my multimeter handy so wasn't sure if the solenoid was getting power. But I could plainly see that the solenoid was not activating and the pin did not retract so I could shift out of park. Rather than messing with it anymore I simply taped the pin so it did not engage anymore. No longer need to press the brake pedle to shift now. Spent less than 10 cents for a $300+ problem.

I am really dissapointed in the fact that GM decided to make this part unreplaceable. This cheap solenoid was not designed for long term and would be a cheap part to replace if it weren't riveted to the shift assembly. They would rather have the consumer purchase the entire shift assembly instead. What a money maker.

orconn
08-14-12, 02:42 PM
Let's face it, Don, automakers are not building cars for the convenience of us cheap guys who always buy used. The car companies make money selling new cars and on the markup on repair and maintnenance parts .... so rant away, Don, nothings going to change!

Don S
08-14-12, 03:09 PM
Let's face it, Don, automakers are not building cars for the convenience of us cheap guys who always buy used. The car companies make money selling new cars and on the markup on repair and maintnenance parts .... so rant away, Don, nothings going to change!

This was a "preach-to-the-choir" moment! :lol:

I've been looking around and haven't run across this yet... but is there a sticky or FAQ that lists some of the major "expected wear" items on the different models? Seems I've been inducted with 2 very common issues and would be a good FAQ to have. Just curious.