: European STS Question.

ddalder
08-06-12, 08:10 PM
I'm looking for a little input from any STS owners who have an 'Export' version of the car that is 2008 or newer. Specifically,

Does your car have both the rear fog lights and side blind zone alert?

My research hasn't revealed anything that supports this combination, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.

PontiacV8
08-07-12, 06:50 AM
...all export models for Europe got the rear fog lamps...it's a requirement for a registration...

...here an example for a 08 / 09 RHD UK model:
http://static.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpress.co.uk/files/styles/gallery/public/images/car_photo_251541.jpg

...08-up models are very rare here in (Continental) Europe...they are less common then 05 - 07...
...I personally saw one here in Germany and it got the rear fogs...clearly :D...including the Nav/TV-sytem and electr. foldable outside mirrors...but if it also got the "blind zone alert"...I don't know...

...compnine showed 6 -2008 STS- and 3 -2009 STS- LHD, for MAE (Marketing Area Europe)

...there are much more RHD UK models for 08 and 09...so, maybe a UK member should chime in...

ddalder
08-08-12, 12:38 AM
Thanks for your reply. I've been sifting through GM parts information, specifically wiring harnesses, and have not found a combination for a vehicle with both rear fog lights (T79) and side blind zone alert (UFT). This leads me to think it was not an option in the European STS but I also don't know for sure how reliable my parts data is. The reason I ask is because if a rear harness exists, with both options, I'd simply purchase that leaving me with changes only required to the main body harness. As it sits now, I'll need to modify the rear bumper and main body harnesses. Either way, not a big deal.

I've already changed out the tail lights to the export version, added the power folding mirrors, upgraded to the 2009+ antenna and upgraded to the speed alert/speed advisory nav option. Next on the list is the rear fog lights.

What I'd really like to get my hands on is a 2008 European Owner's Manual. I'm not familiar with how the dealer network is structured or who I might contact. If you have any suggestions, they will be most appreciated.

Ludacrisvp
08-08-12, 01:22 AM
I've already changed out the tail lights to the export version, added the power folding mirrors, upgraded to the 2009+ antenna and upgraded to the speed alert/speed advisory nav option. Next on the list is the rear fog lights.
How much was and how difficult was the power folding mirror option addition?
Would it be possible to transplant the power folding motor into the non-power fold housings to eliminate painting?

ddalder
08-08-12, 01:52 AM
It was fairly expensive, based on how I did them. I'd say the tab was close to $1,800. A good chunk of this was a new driver's door panel with the appropriate control. The problem I had was the fact that I've got side blind zone and there didn't appear to be any DL7 mirrors with this option. I had to modify the wiring harnesses to support the SBZA mirror glass. Here's some information on what I did.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/237419-next-mod-power-folding-mirrors.html

As for transferring the painted covers, here's another write-up I posted...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/237564-outside-mirror-disassembly-reassembly.html

Unfortunately, transferring just the motor assembly isn't an option. The contruction of the mirror assemblies is different enough this won't work. It also isn't possible to purchase these parts unless you could find something through a wrecker. GM only sells either the glass or the whole mirror but no other discrete parts.

PontiacV8
08-08-12, 02:17 PM

What I'd really like to get my hands on is a 2008 European Owner's Manual. I'm not familiar with how the dealer network is structured or who I might contact. If you have any suggestions, they will be most appreciated.

...I read and saw your mods...nice work...and also expensive...
...the rear fog lights wouldn't be much cheaper either...;)
...the two led rear fogs, a new "multi"-switch, harness, another rear bumper insert or maybe complete bumper fascia and bumper bar (both got a separate "export" part-#)...

...for the Export/European Owner's Manual...
...well, that's a problem (or not)...
...a cadillac dealer in Canada or USA should be able to look for a kind of service-or part-# and order an export or foreign-language owner manual...
...but it seems, they (or some) are not available any more...or on backorder...or whatever...
...half year ago I asked my dealer to order a new german speaking version for my 2006...still no result...GM (or the GM ODC) says "backorder" everytime I ask the cadillac dealership...:hmm:

ddalder
08-08-12, 11:53 PM
...I read and saw your mods...nice work...and also expensive...
...the rear fog lights wouldn't be much cheaper either...;)
...the two led rear fogs, a new "multi"-switch, harness, another rear bumper insert or maybe complete bumper fascia and bumper bar (both got a separate "export" part-#)...

...for the Export/European Owner's Manual...
...well, that's a problem (or not)...
...a cadillac dealer in Canada or USA should be able to look for a kind of service-or part-# and order an export or foreign-language owner manual...
...but it seems, they (or some) are not available any more...or on backorder...or whatever...
...half year ago I asked my dealer to order a new german speaking version for my 2006...still no result...GM (or the GM ODC) says "backorder" everytime I ask the cadillac dealership...:hmm:

I definitely need a new rear bumper fascia. Since I have a 2008 there is no insert, it's a complete assembly. This alone is more than half the cost of the project parts total. I'm not too worried about a wiring harness, I can modify mine without much difficulty. I require the rear fog lights, retainers, centre grille (in bumper cover), multi-function switch, connector housings, connector terminals, relay and wire. I have a Tech2 to change the IPM configuration. Some preliminary information received suggests I probably won't need a bumper impact bar but even if I do, it's not a horrible cost (relative to everything else).

I'll check with my local dealer about the manual. The standard response has always been to contact Helm, Inc. They distribute documentation for GM here in Canada/US and have said it is not available from them. Unless my dealer can somehow special order this, my only option is direct from somewhere in Europe (as you mention, if it's even available).