: For those asking 'which tire'

M5eater
08-06-12, 08:11 AM
There's a 10 best for under $200 comparison in the August Edition of C&D.

Their comparison was for wet/dry performance as well as price/sound level and ride

FYI;
#1 Pilot SS-- best blanace of wet/dry performance. Scoring third for dry, although not by much, scoring highest for wet and perfect for sound level and 4/5 for ride quality. They noted that it was tied for 2nd most expensive tire, but that it was truely deserving of the name 'super' and threw in the 458 reference there too. FYI-- for those unaware, Ferrari wanted this tire on the 458 so baddly they had Michelin 'fake' the SS with PS/2 sidewalls on SS rubber.
#2 Potenza S-04
#3 Yokohama AD08
#4 Hankook Ventus R-S3
#5 Extremecontact DW-- I know these are popular here, so I'll say that they notied that these had the best wet performance of the test, were predictable at the limit, communication was 10/10. It did finish second last on overal dry performance, however it scored perfect in price, sound and ride comfort. There were no complaints about dry performance, it simply didn't have the necessary grip it looks like from the skippad and autocross times.
IE, a great wet tire, probably good for an acutal DD, just not unless you're OK with traction compromises over ride/sound and price.

neuronbob
08-06-12, 10:44 AM
I read that, too.

I just literally bought the Hankook Ventus V12 evos today from Tire Rack, to have installed in time for my road trip Friday. It looks like the new Hankook R-S3s are not yet available in our size, or at the least are not available on Tire Rack.

I have waited for the Pilot SuperSports in our stock size and the rears aren't coming. :( So I had to move.

M5eater
08-06-12, 10:45 AM
I think the SS's are clearly worth the 1-2 mph trade off, but even if they're not the bridgestones are $1168 a set... Supposedly you can tune it out anyway.

a 305/30/19 SS would give you a 1.5mph fast speedo and a lot more grip, or you could go the otherway down to a 275/35 for a .6 mph deviation.

even with the thinner tire, I'm betting you'd end up with better grip.

smackdownCTSV
08-06-12, 11:10 AM
Too bad the DWS doesn't come in our size; great reviews, nice tread pattern, A/S light snow traction, and last up to 50K miles.

baabootoo
08-06-12, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll go with the Potenzas up front, bigger though. The SS's are nice for sure, but the price is on the high side.

allinmyhead
08-06-12, 01:29 PM
Under $200?!? I haven't googled the article, but for that price the tire reviewed couldn't possibly be a size need for our car. Under $200 for a Pilot SS? Must be a 225/50-16.

M5eater
08-06-12, 01:31 PM
Under $200?!? I haven't googled the article, but for that price the tire reviewed couldn't possibly be a size need for our car. Under $200 for a Pilot SS? Must be a 225/50-16.

No, not for our car, for a 328i coupe.

Price is relative to the size of the tire. All the tires in the comparison are ones you'd be looking at for the V. They're all summer max/extreme tires. So ignore the price gap, I threw that in there so you could search for it easier. Just focus on the tires.

Thanks for the info. I'll go with the Potenzas up front, bigger though. The SS's are nice for sure, but the price is on the high side.

they're all a bargin compared to the PS/2's

I can choak on $1200 for a set of tires, but $1700?

smackdownCTSV
08-06-12, 03:21 PM
Choak?

M5eater
08-06-12, 03:28 PM
Choak?
Yes, Choak, not to be confused with Chock.

smackdownCTSV
08-06-12, 03:30 PM
Haven't seen that word used since... ever!

thebigjimsho
08-06-12, 04:25 PM
Too bad the DWS doesn't come in our size; great reviews, nice tread pattern, A/S light snow traction, and last up to 50K miles.The DWS would be great as alternative to a snow tire if you want to not totally sacrifice handling for the sake of snow dominance. But as a performance tire? It lags behind many all seasons, nevermind Max and Extreme Performance tires...

thebigjimsho
08-06-12, 04:28 PM
I read that, too.

I just literally bought the Hankook Ventus V12 evos today from Tire Rack, to have installed in time for my road trip Friday. It looks like the new Hankook R-S3s are not yet available in our size, or at the least are not available on Tire Rack.

I have waited for the Pilot SuperSports in our stock size and the rears aren't coming. :( So I had to move.Don't fret. They're cheap and they'll last for a long time. You can drive them for months, quite a few thousand miles and then sell them for more than half the purchase price and only end up losing a few hundred bucks.

They're a good tire. I haven't been pining for stickier tires with them on. And they'll get you through any rainstorm with ease.

allinmyhead
08-06-12, 04:30 PM
Price is relative to the size of the tire. All the tires in the comparison are ones you'd be looking at for the V. They're all summer max/extreme tires. So ignore the price gap, I threw that in there so you could search for it easier. Just focus on the tires.

My argument is that a review for tire in the size that fits another car, in this case a 328i as the control, is close to meaningless for the same tire in the sizes that will fit my car. I'd even go so far as to say a tire review that didn't actually take place on a CTS-V is meaningless to try to apply to a CTS-V. But, hey, I know you gotta start somewhere.

My thought process is a tire (composition, tread pattern, sidewall composition) is going to perform very differently between say a 225/50-17 and a 305/30-19. A brilliant performance in one size does not translate directly into a brilliant performance in all sizes.

In reality? Yah, I know I'm way over thinking it.

smackdownCTSV
08-06-12, 04:34 PM
The DWS would be great as alternative to a snow tire if you want to not totally sacrifice handling for the sake of snow dominance. But as a performance tire? It lags behind many all seasons, nevermind Max and Extreme Performance tires...

I've seen them on a Jeep at the track and he didn't have any problems with traction. He was cutting consistent 1.7 60's. Which A/S are better?

M5eater
08-06-12, 05:38 PM
My argument is that a review for tire in the size that fits another car, in this case a 328i as the control, is close to meaningless for the same tire in the sizes that will fit my car. I'd even go so far as to say a tire review that didn't actually take place on a CTS-V is meaningless to try to apply to a CTS-V. But, hey, I know you gotta start somewhere.

My thought process is a tire (composition, tread pattern, sidewall composition) is going to perform very differently between say a 225/50-17 and a 305/30-19. A brilliant performance in one size does not translate directly into a brilliant performance in all sizes.

In reality? Yah, I know I'm way over thinking it.

yeah, you're over thinking it.

cts-v ls6
08-06-12, 05:50 PM
I'm buying used Continental tires from Atlantis Tire in LA. ZR rated take-offs from BMW's with 85% tread left. Put on at 28k miles and just turned 71K miles. Still have plenty of tread left. Four tires delivered to Memphis for under $500 including freight. Best deal out there. Just bought another front tire for the one that popped last week (see thread on flat tires now on Forum) for $99 delivered.

At 50K miles per year on a set of tires, no way I'm paying $1700+ for a set of 4.

Jack

neuronbob
08-06-12, 05:51 PM
Don't fret. They're cheap and they'll last for a long time. You can drive them for months, quite a few thousand miles and then sell them for more than half the purchase price and only end up losing a few hundred bucks.

They're a good tire. I haven't been pining for stickier tires with them on. And they'll get you through any rainstorm with ease.

Thanks a lot. That means a lot coming from a track hound like you. :thumbsup:

jenlain
08-06-12, 09:06 PM
I'm buying used Continental tires from Atlantis Tire in LA. ZR rated take-offs from BMW's with 85% tread left. Put on at 28k miles and just turned 71K miles. Still have plenty of tread left. Four tires delivered to Memphis for under $500 including freight. Best deal out there. Just bought another front tire for the one that popped last week (see thread on flat tires now on Forum) for $99 delivered.

At 50K miles per year on a set of tires, no way I'm paying $1700+ for a set of 4.

Jack

Interested to hear from others who are doing this. I just burned through my front PS2s in under four track days (no negative camber). I bought new tires, but am considering going with used tires next time as long as they are not damaged or patched. Would you trust used tires for a track day?

Trapspeed
08-06-12, 09:55 PM
Great info. Thanks.

thebigjimsho
08-06-12, 10:41 PM
I've seen them on a Jeep at the track and he didn't have any problems with traction. He was cutting consistent 1.7 60's. Which A/S are better?

Yeah, but a little bit of tire spin on an AWD vehicle is best. My parental had forgettable tires on their Forester XT and that thing leaped off the line.

But on a heavy, RWD car? Different story...

thebigjimsho
08-06-12, 10:48 PM
Here is one comparison test from Tire Rack. Again, its excellent snow performance means its marginal in the dry. Wet is excellent, though...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=147

smackdownCTSV
08-06-12, 11:16 PM
Yeah, but a little bit of tire spin on an AWD vehicle is best. My parental had forgettable tires on their Forester XT and that thing leaped off the line.

But on a heavy, RWD car? Different story...

The Jeep is technically RWD and heavier than the V.

thebigjimsho
08-07-12, 08:24 AM
The Jeep is technically RWD and heavier than the V.

What Jeep?

smackdownCTSV
08-07-12, 08:52 AM
What Jeep?

SRT8. I haven't seen any other Jeep at the track.

M5eater
08-07-12, 09:02 AM
What Jeep?
What jeep he asks.

THE Jeep
http://image.motortrend.com/f/33057530+w569+h356+ar1/2012-Jeep-Cherokee-SRT8-front-three-quarters-view.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-07-12, 01:32 PM
Oh, of course. The front wheels do nothing on that thing...

M5eater
08-07-12, 01:38 PM
Ever take a ride in one of the new ones?

STUPID STIFF.

You can see the thing bounce like it's on coilovers from outside .

oldiemotors
08-07-12, 07:58 PM
I hope I don't reget it, but today I purchased the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2's today from tirerack. The rears are backordered, but the fronts will be in tomorrow. I don't track the car so I think they will be ok. Used to run the BF Goodrich on my old 300ZX and they ran just fine. Only $956 plus shipping for all four.

oxymoron
08-10-12, 11:56 AM
allinmyhead:

you are correct. you are not over-thinking it. test is probably a bit better than meaningless but it is close to meaningless.

jessrayo
08-10-12, 07:42 PM
Just thought I would pass on my latest experience on tires, I have a set of Dunlap sport max GT tires on there right now. I got them super cheap on closeout, like $230 a tire. They are not stable at speed, have the pressure up to 45 cold and they still feel loose above 150, real loose above 180, even though they are z rated tires. Traction is good in town but they do not hold up with the Michelin's at speed. I don't know of anybody that that makes a comparison above 150 mph, but I clearly noticed a difference with these tires. The Toyo track tires are probably better than Michelins but I would not recommend the Dunlap if you cut it loose at all.

Mr. LCP
08-10-12, 08:47 PM
I was about a third of the way through a set of Pilot Supersports on my S4 before I sold it to get my CTS-V. If those had been any other maximum performance tire I had used previously on my S4, I would have been at least halfway if not two-thirds of the way through the set. The Supersports not only perform heads and shoulders above most of the competition, they feature a great ride quality, and last much longer -- about 50% longer in my opinion. That allows them to command quite a premium in price for a set that works out to the same or less over the longer life of the tire as the competition. I have a new set of PS2's (not Supersports) that came on my month old certified CTS-V, but I actually long for my Supersports. They were that good. These are also good, but I know they're not going to last like the Supersports did.

neuronbob
08-11-12, 08:53 AM
Adding a quick comment about the Hankooks.

I now have 500 miles on them after getting them installed four days ago. I can echo what everyone says about them. 95% of the PS2s at 1/2 the cost.

On a road trip now. 80 mph on I-76 near Pittsburgh in the curves....no drama, these guys really stick to the road. I can feel the minimally increased sidewall flex compared to the PS2s but it's not bad at all. (side note: best part of trip so far was the Allegheny Tunnel on I-76......sunroof open, pipes open for short bursts....sublime other than the heavy traffic....)

The PS2s were incredible in the rain even almost bald like my fronts were. The Hankooks are excellent as well in heavy downpours, with great hydro planing resistance.

I think I can live with these.