: Winter wheels....18" or 19"

MacBuster
08-05-12, 09:17 PM
I read a number of threads on full winter setups. There don't seem to be many that winter their cars here. But for those that do....

There seemed to be some debate about whether 18" wheels would fit on a V. Is anyone running 18"? For winters I would rather go down to 18 (or even 17") with a larger sidewall.

There are many benefits to a smaller winter wheel: damage, price, clearance, etc.

Anyone?

ingram4868
08-05-12, 09:42 PM
You might take a look at the TireRack website. I think they have a calculator to give you options for replacement wheels and tires. I would assume the brake calipers are the limiting factor.

thebigjimsho
08-05-12, 09:44 PM
I have 18" track wheels. They are 9.5" wide all around but they do clear the calipers. I don't know how narrow you can go, but some 18s do work...

thebigjimsho
08-05-12, 09:45 PM
17s, however, will NOT work...

baabootoo
08-06-12, 12:08 AM
Real men drive these all year round! I found some 18s that fit just fine and there is a bigger, and cheaper, selection of tires also. I went with 18" x 8" Modas myself, and run Continental DWS. Excellent in the deep snow.

MacBuster
08-06-12, 03:59 AM
I'm definitely looking for cheap wheels. They get beat up in winter.

Tirerack doesn't seem to show ANY that fit, however!

neuronbob
08-06-12, 05:39 AM
Eh, I just use stock wheels with stock size winter tires. The wheels do just fine when you keep them clean. Some put narrower tires on the rears for the winter (255 all around). 18's with more sidewall are probably better, though.

There are lots of us who winter this car. Your thread is simply the vanguard for the literally dozens of threads on this topic that will appear between now and the first snowfall. :) A search (which it looks like you've already started) will reveal all.

MacBuster
08-06-12, 05:53 AM
Eh, I just use stock wheels with stock size winter tires. The wheels do just fine when you keep them clean. Some put narrower tires on the rears for the winter (255 all around). 18's with more sidewall are probably better, though.

There are lots of us who winter this car. Your thread is simply the vanguard for the literally dozens of threads on this topic that will appear between now and the first snowfall. :) A search (which it looks like you've already started) will reveal all.

I blame the search function, then. Certainly there has been very little discussion about the viability/model of 18" wheels that can fit on the car. I would rather get 18s for the winter...my thread was rather specific to that. A search revealed only limited discussion of this specific issue.

garfin
08-06-12, 09:20 AM
My winter tires (Pirelli Sottozeros) are the stock, staggered sizes on a 2nd set of OEM rims. They are great in the winter and in a pinch, I have a spare tire that I can use temporarily for each corner of the car.

Best regards,

Elie

baabootoo
08-06-12, 12:42 PM
I had to drive there, test fit them, and they still wouldn't add it to their list. I got some that were made to fit my Pontiac G8, and they work just great. They're also all the same, so I can rotate them too.

thebigjimsho
08-06-12, 04:21 PM
I blame the search function, then. Certainly there has been very little discussion about the viability/model of 18" wheels that can fit on the car. I would rather get 18s for the winter...my thread was rather specific to that. A search revealed only limited discussion of this specific issue.Never search within this site. Search google and then just look for cadillacforums.com specific responses...

MacBuster
08-06-12, 04:46 PM
I like the idea of stock wheels with winter tires...but you give up a ton of winter performance by having 285 tires on the rear. I would want as narrow tire as practical back there.

MacBuster
08-06-12, 04:47 PM
Never search within this site. Search google and then just look for cadillacforums.com specific responses...

Good advice.

sca13
09-11-12, 09:02 PM
I have been doing some research on this subject lately because I plan on driving my V all winter this year (2012 - 13). Both Tire Rack and my local high end tire dealer tell me to run the front tire size (255) on all four stock rims. My only question is which tire. I have it narrowed down to the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 or the Pirelli Sottozero's ??????

Scooter
09-12-12, 09:52 AM
I'm researching the same question because I have 245/45/18 snow tires already from my old car. There are guys on here that have put on TSW Nurburgring rims, MSR's, and DR-37's in 18 inch sizes. Also, the corvette C6 or Z06 wheels will also fit, but for the vette the 18 inch sizes are front only. You need a 40+mm offset and a 5x120 bolt pattern. Some guys have mentioned using hub ring adapters but I don't know which wheels require that. It would be great if we had a sticky on here with a list of the 18's that people have put on without issue, along with the spec's of each wheel to be sure.

baabootoo
09-12-12, 11:27 AM
Look up wheels for a Pontiac G8. They have the correct specs needed on most wheels 18" wheels. I kept my old aftermarket ones, and they bolted right on.

FFBOS
09-12-12, 01:39 PM
I run blizzak lm60 with stock rims. 275 back 255 fromt

cvs
09-12-12, 09:30 PM
I run blizzak lm60 with stock rims. 275 back 255 fromt

Ditto

Sky_7
10-15-12, 01:30 AM
Scooter

Did you figure out the right setup? I i wanna know if 245 45 18 would work! thanks

LuckyOne
10-17-12, 11:05 PM
I just got my winter setup today. The rims are Fast Revolution 18 silver (18x8) with 245-45-18.

baabootoo
10-17-12, 11:15 PM
245/45x18 square setup here too.

mpouls1
10-18-12, 12:45 PM
I like the idea of stock wheels with winter tires...but you give up a ton of winter performance by having 285 tires on the rear.

I have stock size Blizzaks and it still run's like a bat out of hell (3 winters). 2 winters ago we had a huge dump of snow, I can't remember how much but most everything was closed for the day. Had to work early and they had given up plowing. I ran through most intersections without stopping for fear of getting stuck. Good thing the only automobiles out on the road were buried cars, and a few trucks. One guy in a truck pulled up to me at a stop light laughing and asked how the hell was I out on these roads.

You seem you want 18" just go with 18". I can attest you will have zero performance issues staying with stock tire size.

Scooter
10-18-12, 02:30 PM
If you want a cheap set, use the Touren TR9's, $129 each here in Toronto for the 18's. I'm having my 245/45/18's mounted on them as I write this.

Moparman4444
10-19-12, 09:53 AM
Scooter

What is the wheel front and rear offset on your Touren TR9's and how is it working for you?