: Flat tire today...oh what fun in a V

oldiemotors
08-05-12, 09:17 PM
Had to use the tire sealant today to patch a gaping hole from a huge chunk of glass. Amazes me how glass can do so much damage to today's tires. Anyway, I shot the gooey juice through the valve stem and it eventually sealed the hole. My question is when I replace the tire do I need to do anything the the TPMS sensor? I read somewhere that if you use the sealant it ruins the sensor.

thebigjimsho
08-05-12, 09:41 PM
Not sure, but I thought that was for the older goop/sensors...

ingram4868
08-05-12, 09:47 PM
Many of the modern sensors can be rebuilt

hulksdaddy
08-05-12, 10:22 PM
In for a penny....buy a new TPS to be sure.

hcvone
08-06-12, 07:19 AM
They are usually ruined after the sealant, I just replaced it so I didn't have to do it later, and pay to remove and rebalance it twice

dcc8203
08-06-12, 08:18 AM
Got the spare tire kit. No goop for me!

M5eater
08-06-12, 08:47 AM
They're only ruined if you use non latex based sealant( ie most aftermarket stuff)

GM uses latex sealant, infact if you looked, it specificly states on the compressor do NOT use anything other than Latex based sealant otherwise you will ruin the TPMS. Your TPMS should be fine if you used the OE kit.

personally, unless I have a wedding to catch, if I ever had a blown tire, I'll be calling a flatbed.

JBsZ06
08-06-12, 03:41 PM
I tend to recommend a two dollar plug kit from kmart or wallmart in addition to what you have.

Good luck

Wannago
08-06-12, 03:56 PM
I got another surprise for you!

Obviously, after you use your canister you need to replace it.

I see you have an '09....I learned with mine that with all V2's built prior to Nov 2009, that you cannot actually replace the canister (18 bucks from GM Parts Direct), but you have to replace the entire compressor - over 300 bucks!

I now drive a $70K Cadillac with a $15.00 bottle of Canadian Tire "Slime" sealant and a $10.00 do-it-yourself plug kit.

"New standard of the world"

(oh, as for your original question, my TPM sensor did not seem to be affected at all by the original goop...still working fine)

cts-v ls6
08-06-12, 05:43 PM
I hit a pothole coming home from work last week. Friday afternoon in Memphis traffic, 109 deg F, 5:30 PM. The Continental ZR rated tire popped like a tired kid's balloon. Who needs low profile tires? This is the second tire (first was a Michelin PS2) that has popped through the sidewall...so the air compressor is no good.

BUT...I do have the spare tire kit from those guys in NY. So this is the second time that tire has saved my bacon! A real hassle to dig everything out of the trunk, etc., but I was on my way in about 25 minutes...and very hot!

Jack

taken
08-06-12, 05:48 PM
I know there have been lots of posts on this, but search is tough on this site. Can someone point me in quick fashion on where and what to order for the spare tire kit? I'm ready to order...

94danstang
08-06-12, 08:39 PM
I know there have been lots of posts on this, but search is tough on this site. Can someone point me in quick fashion on where and what to order for the spare tire kit? I'm ready to order...

+1 on this - and if it is applicable for the 2012......?