: power steering leaking 2006 sts

woolleyjm9
08-05-12, 01:14 PM
found the leak in the alum tube which is approx 4 feet long,2006 sts. how much work to replace. what is a estimate for labor or is it a DIY. what kind of a cost is the tube? it really winds around.

dkozloski
08-05-12, 01:37 PM
If your car is AWD it's a real bitch because you have to pull the LF drive shaft. Otherwise, all you have to do is fabricate a wrench to get it loose from the PS pump, drink about a pint of PS fluid, lose the skin off all your knuckles, and greatly expand your vocabulary of profanity. It helps if you have a masochistic streak.

STS42006V6
08-05-12, 04:37 PM
Just changed power steering pump and all lines. mine is awd. Did it outside in snow this winter,not too bad but dkozlowski is correct in all he says although I did not need to remove my drive shaft. just take your time. lines are costly though.Remove reservoir,all the plastic stuff on that side, Remove left wheel and cut tires before you start it will give you room to beat your knuckles up better. shes a pressure line so no cheaping out. The loam near the driveshaft catches moisture and road grime causing corrosion so I didn't bother installing it on the new line instead I coated new line with grease where it is near the wheel. good luck.

dkozloski
08-05-12, 05:07 PM
Just changed power steering pump and all lines. mine is awd. Did it outside in snow this winter,not too bad but dkozlowski is correct in all he says although I did not need to remove my drive shaft. just take your time. lines are costly though.Remove reservoir,all the plastic stuff on that side, Remove left wheel and cut tires before you start it will give you room to beat your knuckles up better. shes a pressure line so no cheaping out. The loam near the driveshaft catches moisture and road grime causing corrosion so I didn't bother installing it on the new line instead I coated new line with grease where it is near the wheel. good luck.There must be a difference between a V6 and a V8. To get the old supply hose out I had to saw it into pieces at which point I pulled the LF drive axle to get the line in. It wraps right around the axle and even bending it some it wouldn't come close to coming out.

woolleyjm9
08-07-12, 07:13 PM
thanks all..........pulled all the liners for better inspection, found out it"s the return line, and the new part $75. has a rubber hose on one end with clamps. so I think i could just cut out the damage leak and put a pressure rubber hose with pressure fittings. could save a few words and knuckles.......what you all think.....and return the new part which is shorter then the oem due to the rubber connector end. it also shows that on the cad parts sheet.