: Oscillating Vibration at 90km/h+ (55mph+) coming from rear of vehicle

Zhariak
08-05-12, 11:02 AM
Hello again fellow V-owners...

I just had a few questions/comments that I was hoping some of you could comment on. Wondering if this is normal.

Since I purchased my new 2012 V-coupe 6mt, I thought I noticed a vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle when going above 90km/h (55mph) or higher. At first when I asked a few of my car buddies, they said this was normal for a car designed to race, however just recently when putting one of those same car buddies in the back seat, he commented saying "Wow, you have a oscillating vibration coming from your rear diff", and this was when he was in the back only going 50km/h. He said there's way more vibrations in the back then when sitting in the front. When he jumped back in the front he said he now noticed what I was talking about and said there's something up.

It gets worse at 100-120km/h (62mph-74mph), however it's still not that "in your face". I have a feeling this is might be one of those "We couldn't replicate your vibrations, so everything is fine" kinda issues.

You can feel it in 6th gear, when putting it in neutral you can still feel it at those speeds, but it isn't as bad.

This is the first time I've owned a standard car, first time owning a car like the V (I usually drive SUVs). Can anyone comment on this? Any chance it's normal?

Appreciate the insight guys!

hulksdaddy
08-05-12, 11:16 AM
Always start out at the most likely. Could be a wheel imbalance. If it's felt in the back seat more, and if you, in the drivers seat, feel it from the seat, not the steering wheel, it's a rear issue.

If it's not a wheel, then you look at driveshaft, differential, suspension etc.

Bottom line, take it to the dealer, go for a ride with the service guy in the back.

M5eater
08-05-12, 11:25 AM
It could be the wheels, but I've had 2 GM large RWD sedans with some sort of inbalance in either the driveshaft or one of the flanges.

In the G8 it's a known driveshaft inbalance, in the Black car it was the rear-end flange that was out of spec.

V locity
08-05-12, 12:57 PM
^^^^this!

baabootoo
08-05-12, 02:04 PM
Yes, it should be smooth either way. No one designs a vibration into a car. It must be something odd per car since my G8 was smooth as silk.

Zhariak
08-06-12, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys...

Ya, since the V is considered a "Racing" car, wasn't sure if it was just normal for high performance cars or not... Definitely going to get it checked out... I just hope they can confirm it in service...

cdog533
08-06-12, 04:19 PM
Likely a tire defect... Like out of round.

Zhariak
08-06-12, 04:22 PM
Likely a tire defect... Like out of round.

Speaking of that... When the vehicle was new, I noticed there was writing on one of the tires (in red thick ink or something as if the tire was labelled for some reason)... Is this normal for new tires on a new vehicle from the factory?

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-06-12, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys...

Ya, since the V is considered a "Racing" car, wasn't sure if it was just normal for high performance cars or not... Definitely going to get it checked out... I just hope they can confirm it in service...

I'm sorry to hear about the vibrations you are noticing on your vehicle. Please keep us updated on this! If you would like any assistance with this please private message us with your name, phone number, address, VIN, mileage, and preferred dealership.

Ashley (assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

Zhariak
08-06-12, 09:41 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the vibrations you are noticing on your vehicle. Please keep us updated on this! If you would like any assistance with this please private message us with your name, phone number, address, VIN, mileage, and preferred dealership.

Ashley (assisting Katie)

Appreciate the offer Ashley, but I'm in Canada-land (which from what I understand is beyond your reach)... :)

I will however make sure I keep you guys up to date on this. I could be wrong, but I think it's getting worse... It's now so vibraty that when driving at 120km/h for a certian amount of time, the limbs start to tingle...

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-06-12, 10:47 PM
Appreciate the offer Ashley, but I'm in Canada-land (which from what I understand is beyond your reach)... :)

I will however make sure I keep you guys up to date on this. I could be wrong, but I think it's getting worse... It's now so vibraty that when driving at 120km/h for a certian amount of time, the limbs start to tingle...

No problem, Zhariak. Here is the Canadian Cadillac Customer Service number: 1-888-446-2000 just in case! Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST

Hope all goes well for you!
Ashley

Zhariak
08-08-12, 08:26 PM
Well,

Got it back today... They can't feel it... Ugh, I was hoping they'd have it fixed as it's SOOO annoying... Causes my driver side and rear view mirror to vibrate like crazy at highway speeds :(

EDIT/ADDITION: Even though they said they couldn't feel it, they checked the wheels and they were perfectly balanced. They sounded like they couldn't do much more until someone can confirm it :(

On a super smooth fresh paved road, do any of you get any type of vibration whatsoever doing these speeds?

hulksdaddy
08-08-12, 09:36 PM
Well,

Got it back today... They can't feel it... Ugh, I was hoping they'd have it fixed as it's SOOO annoying... Causes my driver side and rear view mirror to vibrate like crazy at highway speeds :(

EDIT/ADDITION: Even though they said they couldn't feel it, they checked the wheels and they were perfectly balanced. They sounded like they couldn't do much more until someone can confirm it :(

On a super smooth fresh paved road, do any of you get any type of vibration whatsoever doing these speeds?

No, none at all. Tonight, I'll post about my first V Coupe, which was a buy back. You issue sounds like mine.

RapidRob
08-08-12, 11:02 PM
Well,

As said above, "none at all", here either - and I'm on my 2nd set of tires. Take it back and insist that the SM/SA, (or their designated rep.), take a ride with you and demo the problem to them. No excuses after that ... !

Rob

Zhariak
08-09-12, 04:14 PM
Hmm, weird....

Jump in this morning from a cold start. No vibes at 120km/h... But an hour later, and for the rest of the day it started again after warmed up...

This is weird!

Zhariak
08-12-12, 07:22 PM
I'm sooo sorry to bump this thread, especially since noone has replied since my last post... But does anyone know what this could be?

I need to get this fixed, it's soooooo ****in annoying... If you do 122km/h right on the dot, it vibrates soo much it makes your ass and legs tingle, ughhhh

hulksdaddy
08-12-12, 09:29 PM
Gotta bring it to the dealer bud. My buyback V had a vibration after 50-55 mph. They replaced the driveshaft, differential, and eventually the tranny. That fixed it(so they say) but by that time, I wanted a new one, and after a little fighting, got it.

Dealer visit is needed.

Zhariak
08-12-12, 09:48 PM
Gotta bring it to the dealer bud. My buyback V had a vibration after 50-55 mph. They replaced the driveshaft, differential, and eventually the tranny. That fixed it(so they say) but by that time, I wanted a new one, and after a little fighting, got it.

Dealer visit is needed.

Well that's the thing, they couldn't duplicate the vibrations :( And how does this "buy back" stuff work?

I'm assuming that since the vibrations happen both while in gear (on standard tranny), and also in neutral, that it's probably the differential... (they already checked tires).

I just want this fixed... It's only a month old... :(

hulksdaddy
08-12-12, 10:31 PM
Keep bringing it in until they do feel it. Drive it there, and take the Service manager for a ride with you. Let him drive it. That's the best way to show them.

RapidRob
08-12-12, 10:50 PM
As said above, "none at all", here either - and I'm on my 2nd set of tires. Take it back and insist that the SM/SA, (or their designated rep.), take a ride with you and demo the problem to them. No excuses after that ... !

Rob

I'll refer you, again, to my previous post - like the other gent said, get it back to a dealer, and then demonstrate the problem to them. Go from there ...

Rob

cdog533
08-13-12, 01:17 PM
Definitely a tire defect.

These often do not show up during balancing.

elna9ry
08-13-12, 01:44 PM
I had the same exact problem but with my front tires. I also went through the same problem identifying process where I've checked the balance of my tires and rims. I finally discovered that I had flat spots on both my front tires and I'm still wondering how did that happen. I don't brake so hard and I'm sure the ABS system won't allow such thing to happen.

venomns
08-13-12, 06:36 PM
Definitely take it to the dealer and ask them to ride with you. Either that or start going through the process like swap wheels with someone else, etc... but why do all that when the dealership that sold it to you should be diagnosing the problem.... not you....

Zhariak
08-17-12, 05:47 PM
Taking it in next week and taking foreman for a road test... Hopefully they can feel it...

Anyways, on a similar note...

When you guys downshift, go in to 3rd, and get at a speed that makes the vehicle sit around 3,300 RPM... Then take your foot completely off the accelerator. How bad are the vibrations? As soon as I release the pedal, the vehicle vibrations are effing NUTS! And it's similar to the crazy vibrations coming from the rear when doing 120km/h. As soon as I re-apply gas, vibrations stop...

I'm thinking the two are related. And I'm thinking it's the driveshaft or rear diff...

Again, sorry for all the posts, and thanks guys for listening and helping. I'm just trying to come up with as much as possible to help them diagnose this...

hulksdaddy
08-17-12, 06:08 PM
Sounds reasonable. But, trying to diagnose these things is futile. Just make sure you do all this for the foreman.

Zhariak
08-19-12, 04:37 PM
Well....

Goes in to the shop tomorrow, however I had a few developments today...

Took it on the highway for a test drive since I've been scared too because of the vibrations...

Did about 400km at 130km/h, vibrations didn't occur for the first 200km, but then for the later 200km they did... Needed to make a turn on to a different highway, slowed down, turn left. I get back up to the same speed and now the vibrations are 4X worse... They continued on for another 200km horribly. I stopped in a small town to fill up gas, vibrations went back to normal (when I say normal vibrations, I mean the vibrations as to why I created this thread, as in these shouldn't exist), but at this point, when I'm going at a constant speed of 120km/h, I hear this whining sound coming from underneath the between the rear seats whenever going at a constant speed, or slight acceleration.

This whining noise is new and hasn't occurred before, it got worse and worse until I got back in to the city (thankfully I made it). Now get this, as soon as I got in to the city and slowed to residential speeds, now I'm also noticing a new grinding sound anywhere from 20km/h up to 80km/h, 80km/h is when it stops I think. I even got up to 60km/h, put the vehicle in neutral, proceeded to turn the vehicle off (turned ignition off), and you can still hear the grinding.

So in total two new things:
-Whining sound coming from under rear seats when crusing at highway speeds, only when in gear (all gears), going at constant speed or slight acceleration
-Grinding at residential area speeds coming from rear (it's a total different sound so hard to isolate where it's coming from except for the back), this occurs when in gear, or when not in gear, whether clutch is pressed or isn't... Even when I put the vehicle in nuetral, and turn it off when I'm going 60km/h, this grinding still occurs...

I almost went on a 3,000km trip this weekend. Thank god I didn't as I don't think my new Cadillac would have made it :(

I'm not sure if the grinding/whining is related. I think the grinding may be my e-brake not fully being dis-engaged, or they could be related. Or this could all be the drive-shaft, or my rear diff.

hulksdaddy
08-19-12, 05:04 PM
Sounds like your differential pooped the bed.

Zhariak
08-19-12, 06:39 PM
Yea, that's what im thinking. Soo happy its finally worse, it bugged me that they said they couldn't feel or hear it before... If not for them, at least im sure it's the diff now...
Anyone else, feel free to chime in! Would kill for input!
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Zhariak
08-20-12, 12:31 PM
Booo....

Went to drive it to dealer this am (it's a 40 minute drive to dealer)... Grinding was sooo bad in rush hour, finally got up to 80km/h and started smelling burning... Jumped off highway and took back roads...

Get to dealer, turn vehicle off, get foreman to go for road test. He jumps in the driver seat and we go for a spin, now the grinding is way quieter, but thankfully the vibrations came back at 124...

He told the service adviser to check the drive shaft for vibrations, mentioned that there may be a noise as well, although he couldn't verify the noise...

Give me a ****ing break! So first they tell me there isn't vibrations, then now they feel it, but apparently now there's not a grinding? I thought I'd get some street credit now that my first mention was verified...

If they don't touch try and even touch/diagnose the diff, and only touch the drive shaft I'm going to be pissed!

hulksdaddy
08-20-12, 12:40 PM
Just tell them to check the diff. fluid. Should tell the tale.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-20-12, 12:54 PM
Zhariak, if you are still having frustrations after the dealer's latest report and would like further assistance, GM of Canada Customer Service representatives are available at 800-263-3777. They're answering calls Monday through Friday from 7:30am - 11:30pm and Saturday from 7:30am - 6:00 EST!

Best,

Katie

Zhariak
08-20-12, 01:12 PM
Zhariak, if you are still having frustrations after the dealer's latest report and would like further assistance, GM of Canada Customer Service representatives are available at 800-263-3777. They're answering calls Monday through Friday from 7:30am - 11:30pm and Saturday from 7:30am - 6:00 EST!

Best,

Katie

Thanks Katie,

I'm going to wait this out and see what the outcome is. I'm super close with the manager of the dealership, and know that if I give enough chances to fix and issue, that I can just give him a shout and he'll take care of me...

They are going to have the vehicle for a week to paint a piece that wasn't painted when it was manufactured, so I'll be getting regular updates and can bug them over the phone.

Looking forward to getting my new rotors though :D

hulksdaddy
08-20-12, 01:16 PM
Thanks Katie,

I'm going to wait this out and see what the outcome is. I'm super close with the manager of the dealership, and know that if I give enough chances to fix and issue, that I can just give him a shout and he'll take care of me...

They are going to have the vehicle for a week to paint a piece that wasn't painted when it was manufactured, so I'll be getting regular updates and can bug them over the phone.

Looking forward to getting my new rotors though :D

What piece?

Zhariak
08-20-12, 01:22 PM
What piece?

The handle pits on the coupe... Passenger side was missing a screw but was painted... This was easy, they just ordered a screw and screwed it in.

The Driver side handle pit had the screw holding it on, however it was painted a different black, and the paint wasn't applied properly (you drag your finger on it and it'll rip the paint off). It was a black raven kind of black, my coupe is a Black Diamond...

Zhariak
08-20-12, 06:39 PM
Just got a call, update on the sounds...

They put it up on the hoist and ran the vehicle... Heard all the sounds I reported.

They said the pinion bearing is completely shot on the driveshaft, loose, and something else was loose. They can't repair or replace those specific parts, they have to order in a new diff. So great news, I'm getting a new differential.

Bad news... 2 weeks for the part to come in from the US... I'm stuck in a rental for 2 weeks since the vehicle is in an unsafe condition (thank god I didn't go on that road trip)...

Zhariak
08-22-12, 04:01 PM
Another update:

Turns out the differential is WAY ahead of schedule! Shows up tomorrow...

Bad news is, even though I had to bring the vehicle in twice for the body shop to find out how they are going to paint that piece that wasn't painted, they thought they were going to be able to mix the paint... They called to tell me they cant mix the black diamond paint and have to order it in from the U.S.... So they ordered it in today, which will take some time... boooo

Either way, the vehicle is about a week ahead of schedule if they deliver it back to me on Friday. If they can do this I'll be happy (taking a hottie out for a road trip on the weekend)

Hotrod-Realtor
08-22-12, 10:40 PM
Either way, the vehicle is about a week ahead of schedule if they deliver it back to me on Friday. If they can do this I'll be happy (taking a hottie out for a road trip on the weekend)

Pictures or it didn't happen. :p

Zhariak
08-22-12, 11:26 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen. :p

How about a video instead ;) heh

Zhariak
08-23-12, 06:12 PM
Well

SA just called, the piece was painted, he said it looks great...

As for the diff... Turns out that they couldn't air ship it in from the U.S. because it's too heavy... So it wont show up till end of next week, and I wont get it till mid week after that... So missing my baby for 2.5 weeks in total :(

This sucks...

Zhariak
08-28-12, 07:12 PM
UPDATE:

Got the vehicle back today... They painted the piece. Service advisor told me he wasn't satisfied, so he made them paint it again... (The guy I'm dealing with is awesome)...

As for the diff, got it in... THE WHOLE VEHICLE DRIVES DIFFERENT!

There's vibrations and sounds I thought were normal before, which now do NOT occur at all. Vibrations gone, grind gone, whine gone... And now you only feel the road, it's AWESOME!

Unfortunately, after driving it for a bit, there's a slight pulsing vibration in the steering wheel when stopped and idling... And also, when stopped and idling, instead of just the rumble and beautiful exaust, now there's an additional metal sound coming from the front...

I'm almost positive that the metal sound is coming from a lose exhaust, or mount from when they had to remove the exhaust to get to the differential. And I'm positive the pulsing vibration in the steering wheel is also caused by the exhaust (whatever is loose is pulsing or oscillating)...

Either way, SOOOO happy I can take this on the highway and feel safe with it... So happy with the dealership... And now I'm looking forward to REALLY enjoying my new CTS-V Coupe, MWHAHAHAHAH

PS. for all you other guys with diff issues, good luck! I hope you're dealers help you out!

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I got my new two piece rotors on the front. WOW DO THEY LOOK SICKKKKKK mwhahahha

RapidRob
08-28-12, 10:58 PM
^^^ - Glad to hear it's all working out for ya! Sounds like you have a decent dealer to work with ... :-)

Rob