: Thoughts on GM Accessory Refinish?

Faber
08-03-12, 10:14 PM
I have the GM accessory rims and most of them have curb rash (from previous owner, not me), though I recently had one replaced due to an accident that is in perfect shape. I retained the damaged rim and was going to have it repaired, but it got me thinking that I should have all the damaged rims refinished. Then I came across this post - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/78671-can-someone-pull-bulletin-me-its.html - and that got me to thinking that I don't have an f'ing clue on how to have them refinished. Seems the bulletin is saying that they should not be clear coated, but I can't imagine it being left bare either. I really like how they set off the black paint so I'm not certain about getting them painted. In essence, I have no clue what to do.

Also, had a shop recently recommend that I use a sealer and polish on the rims as opposed to something like the Armorall Wheel protectant. Actually was very adament to stay away from any acid based item, though I question if the amorall wheel protectant is an acid based product since it's a coating and not a cleaner.

Any thoughts/advice?

jclayc
08-09-12, 08:49 PM
I'll just +1 on wanting to ask the group the same question... best way to paint GM Accessory wheels in a durable way? just scuff, prime, basecoat, clear?

Faber, any reason why you don't want to powder coat them? That's the first route I'm thinking. I had stock wheels, powder coated, but got spooked running with the risk of cracks people reported on those wheels. But that was different metal than the Accessory wheels, I believe... I can't find the post, but someone said, I believe, powder coating the Accessories would be ok

Paint = $200, min
PCoat = ~$300

Faber
08-10-12, 12:53 PM
Haven't even considered powder coating them, definitely something to look into...I like the polished aluminum look though and I'm guessing that Powder coated wouldn't be the same, correct?

jclayc
08-10-12, 04:58 PM
ah, ok, i didn't catch that you just wanted to clearcoat them. That's something that'd be good to know as well but, as far as I know, any kind of polished metal is going to haze up and show scratches, particularly if you change the wheels often.

You could go with chrome or powdercoat, but it wouldn't be the same as the hard-to-maintain aluminum. What about that Shark Coat stuff?

(If anyone wants to trade a set of Team Dynamics wheels for my set of GM Accessory ones, message me... I can't stand the aluminum finish. It's either trade them or swap them for other light wheels.)

Technikal
08-13-12, 11:52 AM
I'm taking mine off for powder coating this week. I need new TPMS sensors anyway. Would be even better if you time it to when you need tires but. Its $80 a wheel here locally for me. Not including the sensors. The question is now flat black or gloss????

thefulmonty_07
08-19-12, 04:55 PM
96312I got all my curb rash fixed and got them powdercoated for 500$...all 4. awrswheelrepair.com

Faber
08-21-12, 09:09 PM
That's not too shabby.

Redxped1
08-21-12, 09:44 PM
What color is that

thefulmonty_07
08-22-12, 06:30 PM
He told me he did a black base and some sort of hyper silver, it pops more when the sun is on it...but i wanted something different other than just black.

Pho_phizzat
08-23-12, 06:04 PM
I like the black!

thefulmonty_07
08-24-12, 03:07 PM
The black looks great, but I just wanted to offset it a little, I got the color idea from another member Edmund something.