: 100K Check-Up

MacMuse
08-03-12, 09:06 PM
Just took her in to dealer for an oil change (5% on the OLM, longest I ever waited) & transmission fluid service. Oh, and I had P0340 / P0341 (Camshaft sensor) codes recently too. They talked me into a brake fluid flush under the claim of unusually discolored fluid.

the tranny - she so smoothy. Shifting is much smoother than during the last 10K miles.

No remnants of the codes, I really thought I left a set showing in the history. Oops, and my dealer really gives me the stink eye when I admit to using a code reader. too bad. they claim they "tried" to make it throw a code again but all is well.

Time to get back on the gas pedal, been babying it for the last few thousand miles. :)

KRSTS
08-04-12, 12:46 AM
Just curious, what did they charge for a brake flush? I was told the same thing.

Mullah88
08-04-12, 12:51 AM
mine is due at 144k miles

Change: fluid Transfer case, Replace: Air filter element, Inspect: Throttle body, Inspect: Fuel system, Inspect: Exhaust system, Clean: Underbody, Inspect: operation Starter safety switch, Inspect: operation Shift Lock System, Inspect: Parking brake

MacMuse
08-04-12, 07:19 PM
I think the Brake flush was $130. It was $400 total for all three, and I know the oil was $80.

MacMuse
08-04-12, 07:21 PM
I'm ready for another throttle body cleaning. I was amazed at the improvement after the first one I had at 60,000 miles.

KRSTS
08-04-12, 07:33 PM
Thanks Mac, my dealer wants $165

rickmohr
08-04-12, 10:19 PM
Two weeks ago I bought a Northstar powered '05 STS with 97K miles on it. It is super clean, appearing nearly perfect, with no codes showing. But being as two days later I was leaving on a 5,000 mile trip from my Sacramento/Tahoe area home, prudence (and pessimism based on being a liflelong mechanic) dictated that I let Gubment Motors look it over before I go.
They said it was very nearly as good as it looked, but suggested:
Change following fluids: brakes, steering, trans & coolant (differential looked freshly done)
Replace serpentine belt

There may have been a couple other minor things, but that's the bulk of what they did. All for the princely sum of about $1000. All in all, I didn't feel too bad about it though. I needed a little peace-of-mind fix before I left, and that did the trick. Both the service writer and the mechanic oohed and aahed over the car, claiming I'd stolen it. I paid $12,700. I don't think of it as a steal; more of a good deal for all concerned.

I'm now just over 2,000 miles into my trip, and the car is performing flawlessly. (Great. Now I've jinxed it!)
I am absolutely in love with the comfort, convenience and performance. I'm getting 24 MPG, and riding like a king who's in a hurry. Wonderful car.
Rick

rickmohr
08-04-12, 10:29 PM
One other thing I forgot to ask: The oil is so clear I can't read it on the dipstick. Any tricks there?
Fortunately, it's about due for a change, which will remove the concern.
As of now, my best guess is it's about half way down in the cross-hatched section of the dipstick. (Dip-cable?)
How low is that? About a quart, like it'd be on a generic motor?

Rumors of Northstars suddenly and mysteriously tossing all of their oil overboard have me a little spooked.
Any comforting words would be appreciated.
Thanks gents.
Rick

mckellyb
08-04-12, 11:18 PM
I've found the distance between 'lo' and 'hi' on the dip stick/cable is a quart.

Mine uses about 1/2 a quart over the OLM's life indicator, which seems to be 12K-13K miles.

As far as reading it when the oil is new, yeah...it's a bit tough unless the light is just right.

Wait. Due for a change, yet it's so light-colored you can't see it on the stick? How many miles are on said oil, about? Do you have to add any between changes? If so, when, and how much?

rickmohr
08-05-12, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I wondered about that clarity of the oil too. I was wrong; it's not due for a change. The OLM indicates 56%. I just bought the car twelve days (and 2,030 miles) ago. I must have misunderstood when he said the next change would be due. Or else he had a whole different schedule than the OLM indicates.

I haven't checked the manual, but if you're right, and recommended oil life really is 12K miles (!?!), then the car is doing good, only having used half a quart in 6K or so. I'm still surprised by how clear the oil is.

Hard to imagine 12K oil life tho. It's been a stretch for me to believe the OLM in my Denali pickup which thinks oil is good for 6K miles. 45 years of changing oil at 3k miles is a hard habit to break!
Thanks for your help.
Rick

MacMuse
08-05-12, 07:43 PM
Don't forget the OLM must be manually reset when the oil is changed, otherwise it's readout is not reliable. If you just bought the car and the seller can't prove when the oil was changed, then ignore the OLM and get an oil change soon. Verify they reset the display and it shows 100% and then begin relying on it for future oil change timing.

DdoubleE
08-06-12, 08:49 PM
I just got an oil change in my 06 STS now she hesitates to start. Has anyone had this problem?

EChas3
08-10-12, 10:16 PM
I just got an oil change in my 06 STS now she hesitates to start. Has anyone had this problem?

This sounds like a coincidence. OEM battery?

Rumors of Northstars suddenly and mysteriously tossing all of their oil overboard have me a little spooked.
Any comforting words would be appreciated.

I think you're referring to a common issue with the 3.6 V6. While some later N*s use some oil, it isn't usually sudden or unpredictable.

curtc
08-10-12, 10:19 PM
:yeah: can't recall any stories of N*'s puking out their oil suddenly

Lifer
08-14-12, 05:37 PM
I'm now just over 2,000 miles into my trip, and the car is performing flawlessly. (Great. Now I've jinxed it!)
I am absolutely in love with the comfort, convenience and performance. I'm getting 24 MPG, and riding like a king who's in a hurry. Wonderful car.
Rick

2006 V8 1SG -

I do drive a bit aggressively on the road when on a trip, mostly because the challenge of avoiding tickets and yet maintain speeds of 80 - 95 MPH keeps me awake. I have tightened the intake manifold bolts, done a Throttle body service, and always maintain the car what I believe is properly. However I have never got an average of over 21.5 MPG. So, how do you get 24 MPG?

1BadCadSTS
08-14-12, 07:38 PM
Swap gears with a 1se or downgrade to a v6

KRSTS
08-14-12, 08:22 PM
Nor the V6

curtc
08-14-12, 08:38 PM
2006 V8 1SG -

I do drive a bit aggressively on the road when on a trip, mostly because the challenge of avoiding tickets and yet maintain speeds of 80 - 95 MPH

That's why you only avg 21.5...drive the speed limit, or slightly less. I've found that 65 will net you better MPG than 70 will. Drive it easier and you'll use less gas...at 80-95 you're beer bonging gas in any car.

I avg almost 22 with 40% of that in town. Freeway only I'd say closer to 25.

And I still give her hell once in a while...can't right now, damn motor mount :(

rickmohr
08-14-12, 10:15 PM
I'm about 3K miles into this trip now, and the average since leaving home is now 23.3MPG. I did see a 24MPG average briefly, but it didn't last long, soon dropping back.
I use cruise control quite a bit when appropriate, which helps.
But I've been driving two-lane highways through NE, SD, ND, and Montana today. This entails numerous WOT passes, speeds often seeing 80-90 briefly, so I'm not babying it.
I'd guess it's just the difference in driving conditions/style.
I'm still pretty damned impressed.

EChas3
08-14-12, 10:33 PM
ACC costs mileage rather than helping and my AWD 1SG can't approach my wife's 1SE in economy. I like her car but love mine.

rickmohr
08-15-12, 11:19 AM
[CC costs mileage rather than helping...]

Only in hilly-mountainous country. In flat-lands, CC saves fuel big time.
Just don't use it in icing conditions!

Ludacrisvp
08-15-12, 12:15 PM
[CC costs mileage rather than helping...]

Only in hilly-mountainous country. In flat-lands, CC saves fuel big time.
Just don't use it in icing conditions!

He was mentioning Adaptive Radar Cruise Control ... mostly because it seems like its ALWAYS on the brakes...

EChas3
08-15-12, 10:15 PM
It sure does ease the stress of heavy traffic. I don't mind the mileage or brake wear penalties at all.

It also lowers liability insurance (18% fewer front-end collisions) and improves traffic congestion in studies when as few as 20% of the cars are so equipped!

truckinman
08-16-12, 10:00 AM
I know I've only got the V6 but when I set the cruise on 65 I can ave 28 mpg fairly easily. If it's all interstate of course. Once I get off at an exit for food or whatever and get back on, it'll usually drop down to about 27. Still good IMO. I'm amazed at my folks car tho. A 06 Toyota Avalon limited. Just as big a car and they get 33 on the interstate.

truckinman
08-16-12, 10:01 AM
Oh and btw, I bought my car at 82k miles and have 89 on it now but even tho it's a V6 I've not noticed any oil loss.

fly187
09-21-12, 02:49 PM
2006 V8 1SG -

I do drive a bit aggressively on the road when on a trip, mostly because the challenge of avoiding tickets and yet maintain speeds of 80 - 95 MPH keeps me awake. I have tightened the intake manifold bolts, done a Throttle body service, and always maintain the car what I believe is properly. However I have never got an average of over 21.5 MPG. So, how do you get 24 MPG?

Cause his last sentence states that he's not in a hurry. You drive 80 to 95.

MacMuse
09-22-12, 11:17 AM
Cause his last sentence states that he's not in a hurry. You drive 80 to 95.

Yep, the mileage drop off is significant when the V-8 runs
- over 2000 RPM (over 70mph in 5th)
- in/out of 4th / 5th gears to maintain / improve highway position

Every now & then I make the effort to keep the speed down and locked into 5th on a highway trip. Best ever is 26mpg on a wind-aided 3 hour drive at 64 mph. Thank God for streaming audio. I was SO bored on that drive.

EChas3
09-22-12, 08:49 PM
The wife's 2007 runs 80MPH @ 2,000 RPM, locked-up in 6th. The rock-hard OEM Michelin Pilot Energy tires helped us get 25MPG (measured not DIC) on one long distance cruise at that speed.

The traction pemalty just wasn't worth it. There was lots of rubber left when we changed to Continental Extreme Contact DW Summer tires. They rarely invoke the stability system and we still get 23MPG on an 80MPH extended cruise.