: Sleeper Time! any advice on removing the emblems?

Rakenjevnk
08-03-12, 05:53 PM
Hi Guys,

I am going to remove all 3 V's and the CTS chrome. I am hoping they are stickied on so there are no holes beneath (confirm?) and I am wondering what the best product to use is to remove the emblems adhesive.

Thanks!

Fastone27
08-03-12, 08:54 PM
I actually replaced mine not to long ago and yes they are only stuck on! Pretty damn good too! I used a a plastic putty knife to carefully remove mine . worked pretty good. I did'nt want to use piano wire or equivalent in fear i would scratch the black paint. I then used goof off and then buffed before applying the new emblems. Going stealth would look good !

DRod
08-03-12, 09:25 PM
3M Adhesive Remover, a blow dryer, and some fishing line. There are no holes behind. I removed/replaced all my V emblems this way, and removed the CTS and GM chicklet emblems.

crankedupforit
08-04-12, 10:00 PM
3M Adhesive Remover, a blow dryer, and some fishing line. There are no holes behind. I removed/replaced all my V emblems this way, and removed the CTS and GM chicklet emblems.

Da troof

howanicm
08-05-12, 02:48 PM
I used dental floss. Its pretty strong but does break. I had to use a few pieces. It wont scratch the paint. Only thing is i had the emblems "ghosted" into the paint wen removed haha. They were on there quite a while.

Crash-Override
08-05-12, 09:33 PM
What would be the best thing to re-attach with? I'm thinking about recoloring mine and maybe moving positions some.

howanicm
08-05-12, 10:44 PM
I found double sided tape at a hobby shop called servo tape that they use for servos in r/c cars to hold them to the car. It works phenomenal.

Rakenjevnk
08-07-12, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Rock on.

Larimer
08-08-12, 08:45 AM
Floss and goo gone. And I just polished the area a bit and that got rid of the ghosting. My car is black so it was pretty noticeable. Not anymore though.

JDB
08-08-12, 04:43 PM
Hair dryer to soften the adhesive, dump Goo Gone over it, dental floss threw it and work it back and forth. Add Goo Gone and more heat. Grab fresh dental.floss as you break it. Goo Gone and a microfiber towel to remove adhesive once the emblem is off. Any mild polish will remove the ghosting. Works for me on other cars... haven't done the V, other than the dealer's emblem the PO left on it.

Thinking about taking off the CTS emblem only and leaving V. Anyone have an a55 shot like that?? Hopefully black. Thanks.

Scott2012
08-08-12, 05:49 PM
Be careful with goo gone or goof off. Once you get em off wash it good. I've seen it do nasty things to paint.
It's expensive, but the 3m adhesive remover posted above is absolutely incredible. It come in a white and red can.
First thing I do when I get a car is take off those dumb deal decals! 3m, a hair dryer and plastic putty knife to start it works great!

I hate my AMG
08-08-12, 08:35 PM
I removed mine with fishing line 20lb tess lol and 3m ad remover and woahhh la

Larimer
08-10-12, 12:03 PM
Thinking about taking off the CTS emblem only and leaving V. Anyone have an a55 shot like that?? Hopefully black. Thanks.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af241/Larimer13/CTS%20V/2012-07-28_15-11-03_741.jpg

Mine has the V logo tinted with vinyl though.

Technikal
08-10-12, 10:07 PM
Forget the goo gone. Go to the hardware store and get some xylene it works with less elbow grease. Hair dryer is a great tool if you don't have a heat gun. If the floss doesn't work get a plastic scraper for stoneware or putty knife (plastic of course)

DRod
08-11-12, 12:35 AM

http://ls1tech.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-cts-v/351436d1335541479-just-tips-magnaflow-tips_full.jpg

Pho_phizzat
08-23-12, 06:13 PM
I used floss to get my cts one off worked great

jtcu
09-01-12, 11:43 AM
credit card, worked great for me and didn't scratch the paint atol I also used goo gone but after testing it first... hair dryer worked for me but it was also cold outside at the time and I was only removing vinyl. And do I know a thing about removing vinyl...