: Bullet Proof?

propain
08-03-12, 12:21 PM
Hey All,

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a CTSV and I have a question on the engine. I currently own a Z06 as well and the talk about the LS7 and dropped exhaust valves never ends on that forum. How reliable is the LSA 6.2? Stock and modded. Do you guys see many failures? Also how about warranty? If you tune do they void your warranty? Has this happened to many on here?

Thanks!

Bigron
08-03-12, 01:39 PM
Tune voids the warranty (but different dealers treat this differently), I believe the dealer can read the last date the code was updated so even if you return it to stock they will know it was changed.
I have not read about many failures until major mods.

RippyPartsDept
08-03-12, 01:41 PM
tune will only void the warranty if it caused the failure

any modification for that matter will only void the warranty if it causes the failure

dealers will approach this differently and some will go to bat for you against GM and some will not

basically though if you have any engine problems and you have a tune you will probably be paying out of pocket unless it is clear that the tune did not cause the failure

propain
08-03-12, 04:01 PM
I can deal with all of that. How reliable is the engine when modding? How many failures do you guys see here since 09?

larry arizona
08-03-12, 04:22 PM
No reported engine failures with light mods (100 RWHP added). If there are failures its by owners who know they are pushing it and understand there are on the edge. But there is NOT a rash of engine failures. GO FOR IT, this car is SICK!

RippyPartsDept
08-03-12, 04:44 PM
I've only heard of one failure - Curtis ... and there was definitely something wrong with his mods ... plus his was one of the most modded V's out there (and still is)

M5eater
08-03-12, 04:50 PM
No reported engine failures with light mods (100 RWHP added). If there are failures its by owners who know they are pushing it and understand there are on the edge. But there is NOT a rash of engine failures. GO FOR IT, this car is SICK!

There are people well into 600rhwp infact.

larry arizona
08-03-12, 06:06 PM
on my way to 600+ RWHP with NO FEAR of engine failure.

shchow
08-03-12, 06:17 PM
Hey,
Same Propain in C63 forum?
If so, glad to see you on here...

Stillborn
08-03-12, 06:52 PM
more trans failures than engine,...after a certain point (@700crank hp) you are taking risks, but life is risk...it's all part of the learning curve. some guys cant drive to save their life and or their drive-train,... if you are in tune with your mods and have visual cues (ie:wideband a/f) to monitor said functions you're less apt to damage things. that being said a solid tune goes a long way. i'd go for moderate safety vs bragging rights (highest hp #'s) all day every day.

RapidRob
08-03-12, 06:55 PM
I've only heard of one failure - Curtis ... and there was definitely something wrong with his mods ... plus his was one of the most modded V's out there (and still is)

Rippy - we haven't heard much out of Curtis for quite awhile now, but it was my understanding that he had his LSA swapped out with an LSX block, modded heads, different SC, etc. So I'm not sure it's fair calling Curtis's case an example of a failed modded LSA motor ...

Rob

RippyPartsDept
08-03-12, 08:07 PM
Yeah you're probably right Rob

jessrayo
08-03-12, 08:29 PM
I will say that I have had peripheral problems with brakes and body parts but nothing in the engine, and as described above, unless you get into the camshaft or something along those lines I don't think the engine will give you a problem.

propain
08-03-12, 09:50 PM
Hey,
Same Propain in C63 forum?
If so, glad to see you on here...

Thats me! :) Whats your name on there?

I am making the jump I think. I am working out the deal now.

shchow
08-03-12, 10:01 PM
I used to frequent the MBworld forum often, I use the same name...shchow.
Always enjoyed your posts over there...
Good luck with your deal!
You will not be disappointed!

buddyg
08-04-12, 12:08 AM
Just saw Curtis in Chicago and his car is running just fine. My cars a beast and he dyno'd well above me.

Ste_V_e
08-04-12, 01:37 AM
Hey Propain,
I was also a former c63 owner. Got side tracked into a 2012 GT500 which I hated, Then traded it for the Cts-v and never looked back. For me it is the best all around package and I love the many options to mod. I have done a lot of research and have not yet come across a problem with this engine. Before I purchased my V, I also considered a c6 z06, But nowdays all they ever do on the z06 forums is argue and discuss engine problems.

Goodluck
-Steve

propain
08-04-12, 03:58 PM
I used to frequent the MBworld forum often, I use the same name...shchow.
Always enjoyed your posts over there...
Good luck with your deal!
You will not be disappointed!

Hey Propain,
I was also a former c63 owner. Got side tracked into a 2012 GT500 which I hated, Then traded it for the Cts-v and never looked back. For me it is the best all around package and I love the many options to mod. I have done a lot of research and have not yet come across a problem with this engine. Before I purchased my V, I also considered a c6 z06, But nowdays all they ever do on the z06 forums is argue and discuss engine problems.

Goodluck
-Steve

Very cool to find some friends over here. Hopefully I will be posting up some pics soon. The dealer is on the hunter for a Sedan in a manual.

Stillborn
08-04-12, 05:10 PM
i was on the fence about the manual, then i realized it's a caddy, (my 3rd cts) my 06 v was a joy, but the lack of luxury and style made the stick a welcomed perk. as for the 09 (2nd gen) the auto is the way to go. jmho. and btw, it's (auto) faster at the track, and on the street. :fact: ;) you get to slap it,(manual mode) fire off paddle shifts at will, and when needed drive it without any headaches in stop & go... as well as get oral favors without banging her in the head (while shifting) and knocking her earrings in between the seats. :sneaky:

thebigjimsho
08-05-12, 09:47 PM
These drivetrains are pretty stout and that doesn't change until you go into the hp stratosphere...

PetroCTS-V
08-07-12, 03:40 PM
Very cool to find some friends over here. Hopefully I will be posting up some pics soon. The dealer is on the hunter for a Sedan in a manual.

Do it.

I made the switch as you know and do not miss the C63 one bit.

SC2150
08-07-12, 05:13 PM
The LS7 valve failures are the Del Webb titanium ones and failures are far and few between, but more than there should be. Most cracked long ways across the valve itself. The V does not use these valves.