: We could hear the music on the AM radio...

Jesda
08-02-12, 09:04 AM
Chad mentioned getting one of these Cutlass Cieras on trade earlier this year but I couldn't believe it when he told me it came with a standard AM radio.

http://www.q45.org/gallery/gallery3/var/albums/cutlass%20am%20radio.jpg

Well, here it is.

Here's the promo video for the car:
http://testdrivejunkie.com/1983-oldsmobile-cutlass-ciera-promo-video/

And some ads, just because:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyxYAJjXYPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzwpmFVQa4

EcSTSatic
08-02-12, 09:38 AM
removed

thebigjimsho
08-02-12, 02:34 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that era well...

RippyPartsDept
08-02-12, 03:03 PM
i thought you were going to post the Everclear music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjg39XRkjVc

77CDV
08-02-12, 03:58 PM
Hey, 40 years ago, ANY radio was optional on a Cadillac! That Cierra having a standard AM radio was quite the content increase for it's day!

CadillacLuke24
08-02-12, 04:19 PM
LOL That's for sure. I have quite a setup. FM, AM, Cassette deck, but no CD! :lol: Do have the Ipod adapter though, so that works well.

ShapeShifter
08-02-12, 05:25 PM
Makes me think about Wolffman Jack's AM broadcasts, as well as listening to John R. and The Hossman shows on WLAC AM, Nashville, TN.

orconn
08-02-12, 05:58 PM
No, standard radios in Cadillacs forty years ago? I think not, we had signal seeking AM radios standard in our 1956 Cadillac and as an extra cost accessory in the 1957 Olds 98 Holiday. By 1968 you could get an AM/FM radio with an 8 track in your Impala convertible.

Sound quality wasn't as good as today but then in those days we actually enjoyed "driving" the car!

The-Dullahan
08-02-12, 06:36 PM
My Cadillac came with an AM/FM. What's the big deal?

77CDV
08-02-12, 06:38 PM
^That signal seeking radio was an extra cost option in 1956. In fact, it was two options (radio + signal seeking feature). Dead standard was a radio delete plate. It's kinda like Climate Control, introduced as an option in 1964. It was still optional up to, like 1971, but 98% of Cadillacs were equipted with the feature, so most people think it was standard. Hell, power door locks weren't standard on Cadillacs until 1977!

77CDV
08-02-12, 06:41 PM
My Cadillac came with an AM/FM. What's the big deal?

I think it's the novelty of a plain AM radio as standard equiptment on a car. Most people your age can't comprehend such a thing. Present company, of course, excluded.

orconn
08-02-12, 07:06 PM
I do remember that most American cars were base models and that each accessory was an additional cost item (including heaters on some cars up through the mid 1960's). I didn't realize that Cadillacs fell into this category (although "delete" option is only available on cars customer ordered), but I do remember many Cadillacs still not having power windows and probably not "signal seeking" radios on up through the mid sixties.

Actually it was a big selling point in the late sixties that Japanese imports came with many of the options that had to ordered extra on American cars as standard equipment. Hence a Toyota Corolla came pretty well equipped for $1850. while a stripped Chevy would run you $2200. to start but was really $2700. when all the so called "optional" equipment was added to the base price! This was one of the reasons the Japanese imports made such rapid progress in the American market (that and the Japanese cars were more economical to run and had much higher assembly quality.

The-Dullahan
08-02-12, 11:47 PM
I think it's the novelty of a plain AM radio as standard equiptment on a car. Most people your age can't comprehend such a thing. Present company, of course, excluded.

Most people of my age group are -

You know what, if I can't say anything nice...I'll just keep quiet.

ShapeShifter
08-03-12, 01:16 AM
Most people of my age group are -

You know what, if I can't say anything nice...I'll just keep quiet.
We all started our journeys with the first steps, just at different times on the old year calendar. Be proud and revel in the more youthful stages of your life..…its like in the blink of an eye you'll suddenly find yourself at the old fart or old coot age in life. I use to smile like hell when sales clerks carded me in my early thirties.

talismandave
08-03-12, 02:07 AM
...and I smiled when they didn't, in my teens.

ShapeShifter
08-03-12, 03:23 AM
^^^You were one of the fortunate ones then. Heck, in 1972 when I was drafted at 19, turned 20 two months later, I wasn't even shaving. Damn DI looked at my clean razor and face, then said; you better use that dam thing or I'll have you low crawl the length of this barrack. Couple days later my face and neck looked like moon craters, and the pain was near unbearable. Ended up with a medical shaving profile for the rest of basic training. Now it's nice being told that I look late forties.

Anyone else remember Randy's Record Shop or Record Mart, can't remember which, but it was also broadcast on WLAC AM radio from Gallatin, TN. Good top 40 songs back then.

C&C
08-03-12, 06:34 AM
I even remember; only AM (and having to wait for it to warm-up because it had tubes).

brandondeleo
08-03-12, 12:08 PM
A... M...

Isn't that the thing I use to get the pass closure information? Huh.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-03-12, 12:11 PM
Chad mentioned getting one of these Cutlass Cieras on trade earlier this year but I couldn't believe it when he told me it came with a standard AM radio.

http://www.q45.org/gallery/gallery3/var/albums/cutlass%20am%20radio.jpg

Well, here it is.

Here's the promo video for the car:
http://testdrivejunkie.com/1983-oldsmobile-cutlass-ciera-promo-video/

And some ads, just because:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyxYAJjXYPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUzwpmFVQa4

Jesda, the Ciera you have pictured is an '83, the one we took in (and I shit you not) was a 1994.

Jesda
08-03-12, 12:23 PM
Jesda, the Ciera you have pictured is an '83, the one we took in (and I shit you not) was a 1994.

WTF! Did the radio look just like the one pictured?

dkozloski
08-03-12, 12:53 PM
Back in the day, most accessories were dealer installed options. Cars and pickups were shipped virtually stripped and the dealers installed the radios and heaters. It actually was to the dealers advantage because he only made 25% on the car as shipped but made 40% on dealer installed options.

77CDV
08-03-12, 03:23 PM

I'd not be surprised.

cadillac kevin
08-03-12, 04:17 PM
I'd not be surprised.

They stopped using that radio in the 80s.
In the 90s, it would have had electronic tuning and the knobs would have been stacked on top of each other instead of side by side. I'd have to check my 91 ciera manual, but I believe AM only radio (no tape deck, no sep bass and treble controls) was available.

C&C
08-03-12, 04:22 PM
You have to take a ride in Mr Peabody's way-back machine (most probably don't remember that either), but AM served valiantly in the early days before the gazillion radio stations we have today. The AM signal is much more robust than FM (FM is line of sight only), as AM bounces off the (ionosphere, I think) and repeats, which extends its range to (sometimes) hundreds of miles (especially at night). I remember in the '60's getting Chicago radio stations from the New York metropolitan area (eastern N.J., actually) that I was listening from. Yes its time is nearing an end (even after the HD AM that just didn't catch on) but it still has great history (and isn't quite dead yet).

orconn
08-03-12, 05:40 PM
^^^ I used to listen to Radio Moscow, the BBC and Voice of America all on my AM radio in my Nissan Cedric 2800 while driving from Chitose to Sapporo, about 20 miles apart on the Japanese island of Hokkaido.

Till the advent of the communications satellites all of the worldwide wireless communications was done by ionospheric scatter systems which bounced radio waves of the ionoshere.

Johnxlrv
08-03-12, 06:40 PM
And only the old geezers actually know what "AM" means...(ok, I admit it...amplitude modulation)

And the better half had a laugh at the 8-track player in a '80 Buick Rivera I almost bought...though, with the white on white, she thought I would want to stop at every corner...

I wish I still had the old AM radio in my beater mustang lol

MrHolland
08-03-12, 10:35 PM
^^^Hey,,Im not old!!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-03-12, 11:41 PM

No, it was the standard mid '80s-early '90s double DIN GM radio.

It looked like this interior, but it was a light blue/grey, was cloth not leather, did not have the center console and floor shift. I played around with the radio a few minutes and COULD NOT find a way to get it off AM and into FM. No cassette deck either. Just 4 presets.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3443/4861/33607430023_large.jpg

orconn
08-04-12, 12:07 AM
^^^Hey,,Im not old!!!

You are past the cusp of youth!

thebigjimsho
08-04-12, 12:20 AM

It looked like this interior, but it was a light blue/grey, was cloth not leather, did not have the center console and floor shift. I played around with the radio a few minutes and COULD NOT find a way to get it off AM and into FM. No cassette deck either. Just 4 presets.

I believe you had to push in the bottom dial to switch from Amplitude Modulation to Frequency Modulation...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-04-12, 12:48 AM
Yes, I've done that in other radios like that, like my dad's 86 Celebrity, but this one did not switch from AM to FM.

cadillac kevin
08-04-12, 01:12 AM

Is that car a cutlass ciera coupe? I can't say I've seen a bright red fwd olds interior in real life. It looks like someone spraypainted it whorehouse red.

Aron9000
08-04-12, 03:19 AM
I believe you had to push in the bottom dial to switch from Amplitude Modulation to Frequency Modulation...

That's how it was on both my big Cadillacs. Kind of weird that the old school 91 had a tape and CD player, the newer 95 just has a cassette. Doesn't really matter since I just listen to MP3's in the car with one of those cassette dongle thingys with a wire running out of it.

97EldETC
08-04-12, 09:28 PM
What's a cassette vs. tape deck?

cadillac kevin
08-04-12, 09:33 PM
What's a cassette vs. tape deck?

Tape deck is what you put the cassette into to play it.
It can also refer to an 8 track player and a reel to reel player.
Cassette is what you put into the tape deck to play music.

thebigjimsho
08-05-12, 12:10 PM
That's how it was on both my big Cadillacs. Kind of weird that the old school 91 had a tape and CD player, the newer 95 just has a cassette. Doesn't really matter since I just listen to MP3's in the car with one of those cassette dongle thingys with a wire running out of it.

Too bad MP3s didn't exist in '95.

My father bought a brand new Chevy Lumina LS with the 3.4 DOHC V6. Like many in our family have done, we buy new cars just before a long cross country trip.

Well, the new Lumina spit up its transmission in only a few weeks. And it was about 3 weeks before his trip. Since the drivetrain was so new, they had the trans on backorder from GM. It wasn't going to get fixed in time. The Chevy dealer balked at giving my father a rental for the trip. My father, as he was wont to do, made them understand they must give him a car. So they did.

Fortunately, it was a new Lumina. Unfortunately, it was a base model with AM/FM radio only. Not the most fun trip they've had. I was not on that trip, thank goodness...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-05-12, 02:08 PM
My parents bought a one year old base Lumina in 1998. Nothing good ever came of that car. So dull.

orconn
08-05-12, 03:12 PM
My wife had a leased 1997 Lumina LTZ, she liked it and it gave very little trouble. I thought it quickish, crude, and plain as carbon paper! Traded it early for the Buick Regal GS with "sport suspension," which was much better suited to our needs and tastes.

thebigjimsho
08-05-12, 06:16 PM
My parents bought a one year old base Lumina in 1998. Nothing good ever came of that car. So dull.

In 1986, I was 13 and begging for my father to buy a Monte Carlo SS when he was looking at new cars. He bought a Chevy Celebrity. He promised me he'd buy a Monte Carlo SS if they ever made a 4 door.

That Lumina LS was the 4 door version of the Monte Carlo.

Bah, it wasn't exactly electrifying even though it wasn't much slower than my SHO. My SHO was electrifying. And it had a vast expanse of gray plastic. And one little strip of fake wood trim on the passenger side dash...