: I think my dad is jealous of my Eldorado...

97EldETC
08-02-12, 01:10 AM
So I come home from a week vacation to a used 2007 Honda S2000 bright canary yellow convertible, Six speed manual with 32,000 miles and an extended warranty to 104,000 miles. My dad says he can blast my butt with this thing. Is that true? I have a 97ETC. I believe my dad is very jealous and tired of driving his 96 Chevy silverado and 07 Ford F350 SD. Back to the main question, can he beat me?

brandondeleo
08-02-12, 01:33 AM
S2000: 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.
Eldorado: 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.

The S2000 would wipe the floor with the Eldorado in any circumstance where handling is a virtue.

I'd still rather have the Eldo. :lol:

OffThaHorseCEO
08-02-12, 01:36 AM
Thats not a huge difference considering the size of the eldo compared to the s2k...

I thinknyour dad is going through midlife crisis. Let him win

vincentm
08-02-12, 01:37 AM
He'd definately get you on the jump.

97EldETC
08-02-12, 01:41 AM
I'd rather have the eldo too. I wouldn't doubt if it was a midlife crisis. I get to drive it tomorrow!

brandondeleo
08-02-12, 01:42 AM
I bet it'd be a blast to drive. Like a Miata but a lot more powerful. I'm not sure about fitment with me, though... :lol:

97EldETC
08-02-12, 01:44 AM
So he would totally beat me? Even though it's a 4 banger with less than 240 hp? Why about long run? I hears that's when the eldo does best.

brandondeleo
08-02-12, 01:54 AM
So he would totally beat me? Even though it's a 4 banger with less than 240 hp? Why about long run? I hears that's when the eldo does best.
It also weighs as much as a shoe compared to the Eldo. :lol: The Eldo would likely take it at high speed, pulling away with all of ze torquez.

CadillacLuke24
08-02-12, 01:58 AM
He's got a massive advantage on ya in the weight department. Maybe, MAYBE, in the long run, but I doubt it. Don't worry about it dude. I had the same thing with one of my old classmates. He thought his mommy bought Mazda6 was soooo much better than my DeVille. I know he's just jealous that he wasn't able to lasso something quite so nice on his own.

97EldETC
08-02-12, 02:10 AM
No no no I'm not near jealous. Id rather have a nice, quite and comfy ride than a wind blown convertible that can't go through a car wash. Sure it would be fun to drive once in a while, but the Eldorado is where I'm at!

Jesda
08-02-12, 07:04 AM
I want both.

MrHolland
08-02-12, 07:13 AM
I doesn't matter if your Pops car can out run your car in reverse, YOU'RE still ridin classy in a Cadillac!!!!

Johnxlrv
08-02-12, 07:26 AM
Before I found my V, I looked real hard at the S2000. As they are the successor to the Del Sol (and my '95 just refuses to die), and are built well, with tested power train components, I wanted the reliability and power. They even ended their production with a club racer version, which just may be a tad faster.

One thing about those cars...you will feel pretty beat up after a long trip...a Cadillac will never do that to you!

talismandave
08-02-12, 10:22 AM
Your dad will only beat you if he learns how to run the H out of the revs. If he is not used to small lower torque high rev engines you might just win. Either way, my vote is Crest trumps all. Those are sweet little cars though.

gary88
08-02-12, 11:59 AM
I love the S2000, too bad I'm too tall to fit in them. Those early AP1s that rev to 9000RPM are nuts.

S2000 has the better power/weight ratio too.

CadillacLuke24
08-02-12, 03:13 PM
No no no I'm not near jealous. Id rather have a nice, quite and comfy ride than a wind blown convertible that can't go through a car wash. Sure it would be fun to drive once in a while, but the Eldorado is where I'm at!

I know. I was saying my old classmate, and your dad in this case, are. Cadillac for life!

thebigjimsho
08-02-12, 03:15 PM
Hey guys, I want to get some furniture for my house. Should I get a recliner or a bed?

STS_Seville_Hunter
08-02-12, 07:54 PM
S2000 is an awesome car; I have two buddys with em, an AP1 silverstone silve , and a AP2 grand prix white.
Depending on your launch you'll probably keep up with him until 80-100ish, at higher speeds the S2000 is in it element and will pull.
Last week I raced my buddys AP2 in my '91 Eldorado, literally door-to-door until 55 when he pulled like a rocket; That race is probably one of the better examples I've seen first ham of the differances between low rpm/torque and high rpm/horsepower.

vincentm
08-02-12, 09:12 PM
One thing about those cars...you will feel pretty beat up after a long trip...a Cadillac will never do that to you!

Last month i drove my Eldorado from richland wa, to sacramento ca. With no AC, no one couldnt do that in anything other than a caddy lol

vincentm
08-02-12, 09:12 PM
Hey guys, I want to get some furniture for my house. Should I get a recliner or a bed?

Stripper pole..

97EldETC
08-02-12, 10:50 PM
I drove the Honda today. Probably got a C- overall from driving a stick shift sports car. I can do it fine on our RAV4, but this, oh this is totally different. Wow. It sure is faster than the eldo. Oh well I still love Cadillac more than Honda. It Will be very seldom I want to drive that car, I don't mind being the passenger though!

ShapeShifter
08-03-12, 12:01 AM
Just stop by occasionally and tell him you figured he could do with a ride in a real car, one that he can really stretch out in.:lildevil: That might get a small rise out of him.:sneaky:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-03-12, 11:16 AM
We took in an '04 S2000 in on trade last month. 40k miles, white with the saddle interior. Sadly, I never got a chance to really drive it before it sold. I did have the opportunity however, to take it for a spin around the lot and was very impressed with that little motor. It felt very visceral and raw and sounded great as well as having a gorgeous intake plenum. I thought it was really neat that you had to turn the key to the "on" position and then push the "START" button to start it, just like in F1.

orconn
08-03-12, 11:57 AM
We took in an '04 S2000 in on trade last month. 40k miles, white with the saddle interior. Sadly, I never got a chance to really drive it before it sold. I did have the opportunity however, to take it for a spin around the lot and was very impressed with that little motor. It felt very visceral and raw and sounded great as well as having a gorgeous intake plenum. I thought it was really neat that you had to turn the key to the "on" position and then push the "START" button to start it, just like in F1.

Yeah, just like most all cars before the mid 1950's! What goes around comes around!

77CDV
08-03-12, 02:20 PM
Everything old is new again!

gary88
08-03-12, 02:31 PM

In F1 the cars have to be started with an external starter motor inserted by a pit crew member into a hole in the back near the crash structure. No starter = less weight. Rules are changing for 2014 though and the driver will be able to do it from inside the car at any time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba1d-eE8NZ8&feature=player_embedded#!

97EldETC
08-03-12, 04:44 PM
I kinda find the push start dumb. IMO. It's dumb I think to have key and button. Waste of time...

orconn
08-03-12, 04:55 PM
Yeah, but it kind of makes up for the lack of the fun of manual shift and clutch, manual HVAV, and having to use a key and your brain to unlock the driver's door. Soon they will be bringing some of these things back and proclaiming "state of the art" when really they are just to provide the driver with something to do after his navel is free of lint!

Johnxlrv
08-03-12, 10:04 PM
I kinda find the push start dumb. IMO. It's dumb I think to have key and button. Waste of time...

I am still not used to the xlr start button. It is kind of silly...even easier to lose track of your keys...throw them in the center console and forget them?...I would probably love the s2000 for a commute car. The DelSol base has a screaming 100 hp...makes me drive the V harder and hate the gutless wonder that still gets 40+ mph.

Still may dump it and try for a decent N* powered caddy...wonder how good the mileage can be?

Jesda
08-04-12, 12:25 AM

I personally dislike all forms of push-button start. I like the mechanical interaction of putting a key in and turning it. You feel the engine and starter vibrate through the key.

I drove a 1931 Ford Model A that worked similarly to the S2000. You put the key in and then you push a starter button on the floor with your foot.

http://jesda.com/2011/12/21/driven-1931-ford-model-a/

vincentm
08-04-12, 12:27 AM
I personally dislike all forms of push-button start. I like the mechanical interaction of putting a key in and turning it. You feel the engine and starter vibrate through the key.

:yeah:

97EldETC
08-04-12, 12:59 AM
I love the keyless go/push button start on our IS. Fob never leaves the pocket! It is convenient, but it makes us sooooooo lazy. Like "I am so mad my steering wheel doesn't move when I try to get out I my car" DTS forum.

Aron9000
08-04-12, 01:58 AM
I personally hate the keyless start bs. Drop your wife off at the airport, she has the key fob in her purse. Drive 20 miles somewhere, turn the car off, you can't start it again and you are SOL. Really if you never turned the car off you could drive from New York to LA without the key. Plus some of these new key fobs and such are freaking HUGE. Very annoying if you are wearing pants with small pockets.

As for the S2000 vs the Eldorado race, if your dad doesn't drive that Honda like he hates it, you will mop the floor with him. I heard to get a good launch in those cars you have to do a 5000rpm clutch dump and get a little bit of wheel spin going. Since that motor doesn't really make any power until you get "on the cam" past 5500rpm, its real easy to bog it off the line.

truckinman
08-04-12, 01:42 PM
I like the push button starts. I like the set up on my parents Avalon and my STS. I like how if I do leave my fob in the STS and shut the engine off and get out, when the door closes it honks 3 times to let me know my fob is still in there. Pretty handy. It's nice when my hands are full too. I don't have to put stuff down and root around in my pockets for my keys. Same with locking it. Long as I don't leave the fob in the car, it locks itself when I close the doors.

Playdrv4me
08-04-12, 09:43 PM
Never ever EVER buy an S2000 to daily drive. You will drive it into a river within about 2 weeks.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-04-12, 10:42 PM
I'm opposed to push button starts as well. I like the feel of a key turning in the ignition.

Playdrv4me
08-04-12, 11:12 PM
I love push-button start, makes me feel like I'm starting an old race-car or a prop engine plane or something. Not to mention the convenience of the "comfort-access" type systems. Sure they have their drawbacks but day to day I enjoyed the system in the LS430.

97EldETC
08-04-12, 11:46 PM
Never ever EVER buy an S2000 to daily drive. You will drive it into a river within about 2 weeks.

It's not a DD, just a weekender. Ill upload some pics soon. I just washed the outside and leather wiped the inside. I still need to vacuum though. I LOVE IT!

thebigjimsho
08-05-12, 11:15 AM
I love these rants for/against push button starts.

Makes me feel better about myself...

Johnxlrv
08-05-12, 11:28 AM
I love these rants for/against push button starts.

Makes me feel better about myself...

Sometimes simplicity is best...my beater 1966 mustang takes the key to lock the driver's door...which means I have never locked my keys in that car...actually just afraid I'll leave the FOB in the center console...just habit after all of these years to pull the keys out of the ignition.

Played with a restored '53 Buick for some time...it had a neat function where the gas pedal also started the car...worked flawlessly...though it was easy to forget to lock the ignition

97EldETC
08-05-12, 11:34 AM
Funny how this thread went to "a thousand ways to start your car." I just have a quick question here, since the Honda forum is not very active, are these wheels/tires offset? I think they are....I don't have the manual in hand yet, it's on order. I don't think my dad realizes what he got him at into with the IS's tires, and now these tires.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-05-12, 01:11 PM
Come to think of it, in the 1957 Chrysler my dad inherited when I was a kid, to start it you had to turn the key to the "ON" position, pump the gas a few times, then push the "Neutral" button to actually start it. This was back when Chrysler used push button transmissions as well. Neat concept.

97EldETC
08-05-12, 05:23 PM
http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/p527/buzzable/?action=view&current=5582de5a.jpg

The 07 S2000, with 30,000 miles. Practically flawless, with minor nicks and knacks around. And of course, my 97 ETC. But this thread is about the S2000! Isn't it nice? I was driving today, and there was a 8-10 year old walking on the side walk and was pointing at me. I waved, he smiled.