: EGR cleaning

fristim
12-06-04, 11:25 PM
Just wondering when you clean the egr valve do you need to replace any gaskets in there at all?? Thanks a lot.

Ranger
12-07-04, 12:09 AM
There is only one gasket on the mounting surface. Mine came off clean and I was able to reuse it.

carguy
12-07-04, 02:29 PM
Question about the EGR.

Is the valve supposed to seat hard on the bottom side of the flange when off the car and no power applied, or does it just push easily and feel springy when you press it in to see if the actual valve is not sticking?

eldorado1
12-07-04, 05:16 PM
In my experience, it should easily retract by pushing up on the pintle. Anything more than finger pressure means it's probably sticking or jammed.

Ranger
12-07-04, 06:56 PM
I agree with eldorado1. It is spring loaded in the closed position but it is very light spring pressure. It should move very easily and return likewise.

carguy
12-08-04, 11:02 AM
Thanks guys ;)

oki-inu
12-08-04, 02:11 PM
I just finished cleaning mine. It was stuck tight and coated with carbon. I wire brushed the bottom and cleaned the inside the best I could with carb cleaner (it's what I had, not sure if something else would be better). When I was done I could easily push the plunger down and I cleaned it until it would no longer stick at all. It works great now.